Dave Chappelle's Netflix show

The fact that the police suck does not make Title IX perfect. I do understand the concerns, or some of the concerns, that Title IX was responding to. I understand the inadequacies of the justice system particularly with respect to sexual violence.

But it is inarguable that Title IX has been implemented at many schools in a way that has led to patently unjust outcomes. This is because not giving people due process is easier than coming up with positive solutions to rape culture on campus. Schools could probably do more to curtail campus assaults by a policy of expelling any student found to be a member of a Greek organization or any student found to have attended a Greek event, but they will not go after those organizations because they have deep pockets and, frankly, form a key part of the allure of campus life for many prospective students.

Ultimately I do believe it is barking up the wrong tree to expect college administrators to handle the problem of sexual assault, this is a wider problem in the culture, and the expectation that schools be able to handle this perfectly is frankly foolish (just as it is foolish to expect college administrators to "end white supremacy" or sexism or whatever).
So there are a few points in here, and most of them are unfortunately just related to "this is a thread on CFC", so I'll try to get through them quick.

I understand that Title IX isn't perfect - my aim was to never state, argue or even infer that it was. I understand that the implementation has caused issues in the resolution of specific cases. And I can respect (though ultimately disagree with) the idea to expect college administration to deal with sexual assault. However, it's because my position is more holistic, in that every part of society (including school) should be a part of handling it. But that's a rather massive thing, similar to your point about it being a wider problem in culture. Which is why I'm sympathetic to attempts that broaden the remit insofar as resolving these cases go (as leaving it up to the police is not gonna work either).

I mean, this all came out of a thread about jokes made at the expense of trans people and how this definitely isn't transphobic, so with the whole "we're on CFC in mind", specific posters trying to go to bat for Betsy Devos indicate that the actually handling sexual assault on campus better puts the tangent in a relatively different light. That's where I was coming from, generally-speaking. The whole thing was oozing with bad faith, and it wasn't so much "Title IX is imperfect and has been implemented badly at times" more than it is "well actually is it really rape".

I agree that many posters do the innuendo thing, presumably because they feel unable to state outright that temptresses who dare to consume alcohol in public (while wearing revealing clothing) without being accompanied by their father deserve whatever sexual violence comes their way.

Doesn't most good stand up comedy "punch down" on someone or some group? Men, women, wives, husbands, bf/gf, conservatives, liberals, religious, atheists, etc. I don't know the man or his comedy. A tempest in a teapot. As for making money off this. I'm sure the notoriety will make him some money. Netflix only makes money off this if they get new paid subscribers. If I were to watch it, no additional money goes to Netflix. So the question for Netflix is: how many new subscribers did you get because you made this show available?
Way late to the thread and probably late with the response, probably already there, but I'm busy and wanted to give a response. A lot of the groups are punched sideways, some are even punched up (not necessarily here in your list), if that makes sense. Punch down doesn't just mean mockery, it specifically means mockery of a vulnerable group below you. Whether this is OK or not is another thing. When I write comedic stuff, I don't punch down. It's not necessary for comedy and not constructive.

• First it was "Devos was fighting to protect rapists"?
  • Then it was "Title IX enforcement was bad" (as a claim, with no evidence).
  • Then it was "how many of these rape allegations are clear cut" (as an attempted defense of Devos' actions).
The first was a leading question, as you're evidently familiar with the material. The second is the lynchpin of your claims here. It's tautological. "Title IX is bad because Title IX" is bad. You don't actually discuss what Devos did at all, whatever she did, and whatever consequences arose from it, are justified from the existing, unproven standpoint of "Title IX is bad". We'll get more onto this below.

I wanted to hear about Betsy DeVos supposedly fighting a “war to protect rapists.” I got the response that she wanted a “criminal trial level of investigation” before a “rapist,” apparently everyone is guilty until proven innocent, can be separated from the “victim,” - the accuser. Notice the outcome is already laid out.

The third was switching tracks (i.e. moving goalposts) from discussing Devos, to questioning every single instance of alleged rape on campus. It is generally hard to prove a negative, you're right. It's similarly hard to impose a burden of proof like that on somebody in a forum thread. What was it you said - that this wasn't a research paper? So why are you asking Drakle to litigiously prove a presumably vast amount of alleged rape cases when you yourself don't want to be held to the same standard?

But regardless - asking you to prove a negative is difficult. So you probably shouldn't rely on it as the key point behind "Title IX is hard because it causes too many issues in determining rape accurately". If Title IX has caused a demonstrable number of cases where it wasn't rape, you should be able to prove this - statistically. Because this is the foundation of your problems with Title IX applying to cases of alleged rape.

Betsy DeVos rescinded the guidelines from the Obama administration, which were widely criticized across the political spectrum from law scholars and even some liberal feminists for not protecting the rights of the accused.

The discussion naturally went to the issues with Title IX and the guidelines on it from the Obama administration.

I think I see what you’re talking about with goalposts now. I asked how many cases of rape were clearcut. I asked this because, I don’t see how a rape accusation can be clear cut when it hasn’t even been investigated yet and it looks like Drakle expects students to be barred from the campus while the investigation is in progress.

Then with the heavy drinking and hookups going on and the fact that most sexual assaults come from an acquaintance or friend on campus it stands to reason a lot of these accusations are not “clearcut.”

This isn't evidence that allegations are made months after the fact. Specific cases may involve circumstances where allegations are made months after the fact, but this happens outside of drunken encounters on-campus. It's a popular argument people make against (actual) rape victims - why did they wait X days / weeks / months before coming forwards?

Do you want to know why? Because they get people who voice opinions like yours, i.e. telling them they were just drunk and regretting it :) Among any other number of victim-blaming excuses. Rape is traumatic. In the cases where it happens, you cannot expect a traumatised victim to behave rationally nor logically. Meanwhile, the attacker will be able to. This is why having additional protections like those granted by Title IX can situationally benefit any given case.

It shows how difficult to navigate one specific case can be. Again, this isn't the evidence that I was asking for.

I said some of the cases involved drinking, accusations made months after the fact and charges against someone over reported speech. You wanted me to prove these were statistically relevant. It wasn’t clear which one of these details you were talking about.

Alcohol is relevant to over half of the cases. Some professors have been brought before investigators over Title IX related charges over things they said in class or in an article. And in some cases accusers have not brought their accusations forward until months after the fact. This includes cases in which the accuser stayed in a relationship with the accused, proven through text messages, with no change in behavior or signs that an assault happened.

Is this statistically common? Probably not and I doubt someone has collected this kind of data. I mentioned this detail to show the absurdity of some of the charges. In particular I was thinking of this case:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/laura-kipniss-endless-trial-by-title-ix/amp

A professor was fired over Title IX charges brought against him by a graduate student (not his student) who was a serial Title IX filer and had continued her relationship with him months after the alleged incident detailed by emails and texts.

The link doesn’t really go into detail on this, I read about the story in Laura Kipnis’ book, she was investigated again because of her writing about the student in question in her book on her Title IX investigation, in which she writes about the issue in general.

The New Yorker article talks further about the serious problems about how Title IX is handled and I don’t know how anyone can defend that unless they’re seriously blinded by ideology.

It's easy to cherry pick individual incidents and say "this is a mess". Thankfully, the law exists to deal with mess. The fact that individual cases can be messy is not an argument that the cases shouldn't happen in the first place. Which is what you're trying to argue. You're trying to say that these kinds of allegations shouldn't be allowed to be made in the first place, right? That's why you're opposing Title IX, and therefore supporting Devos' rolling back of it (and presumably whatever else she did on the general subject)?

No, not really. I believe the accused should have rights and that there should be evidence.

Last edited:
A professor was fired over Title IX charges brought against him by a graduate student (not his student) who was a serial Title IX filer and had continued her relationship with him months after the alleged incident detailed by emails and texts.
I think the existence of the relationship between a staff member and a student would be grounds for dismissal at a UK university. It is dodgy enough between staff members, you need to be well aware of the org chart when dating within organisations.

It was not prohibited at the time and she was never his student.

If staff members couldn’t date each other at a university, considering how big some universities are and the fact they’re often in smaller downs that would really narrow the dating pool.

It was not prohibited at the time and she was never his student.

If staff members couldn’t date each other at a university, considering how big some universities are and the fact they’re often in smaller downs that would really narrow the dating pool.
I cannot see a date on that event in your link, but this has been a thing for quite a few years. Prohibition of staff/student relationships may not be an absolute rule, but it is close enough to be considered so in every institution I have had contact with in at least the last 2 decades. The between staff thing is a bit difficult, and considering the proportion of people who meet their spouses at work I think does have a big impact on many people (myself included). That does not stop my statement being true though.

The author who wrote about the case mentioned at the time it was not prohibited but she did not write this article.

So yes, Nova. The defenses of the situation rely on ideology rather than anything else.

Haven't forgotten about your post NovaKart, it's just I need to block out some time for it.

So yes, Nova. The defenses of the situation rely on ideology rather than anything else.
Virtue signalling, straight from the source. Mm-hm.

So Dave Chapelle is going insane with reactionary nonsense. He decided to go to a high school, where all the kids had their phones taken off them, and the only cameras were his professional film crew, so that he, a fully grown adult with immense money and name recognition, could pick fights with literal high schoolers. And he still ended up losing the argument.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1463898858757443584

Man, you don't know what my life is like, says the grown adult to high schoolers, as he dodges a point made about him acting like a child. I'm a better artist than all of you.

Then someone makes a point about his comedy being harmful, and his response is ... not saying anything rebutting that but saying 'N-words are killed every day'. How is that a response to the point? Does not bullying trans people somehow make Black people more likely to be killed?

Then various childish bullying, then switching on a dime to this weird cloying weirdness. It's mental.

I seriously wonder if he has some mental health issue, he is leaving untreated, or choosing to not treat, like how Kayne went off his meds and went nuts.

Why did he even do this event? Like it isn't just chatting with kids, he brought film crews. Does he just want to be a successful artist, turned youtube Triggered SJW Compilation? Why is he demanding high schoolers forgive him when he isn't sorry and he responded to their concerns with bullying?

Reactions: HEF
wouldn't excluding the trans community from jokes out of fear qualify as transphobic?

upload_2021-11-28_20-56-58.png

wouldn't excluding the trans community from jokes out of fear qualify as transphobic?
Technically, in a way, yes.
But also making jokes about them also qualifies as Transphobia. Sort of Damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of deal.

That's because "phobia", which literally means "fear (of)", much like "literally" has acquired a second meaning that is quite different and technically false - but its proponents are phobic of admitting that.

The use of the term in complex words didn't start that way. Eg arachnophobia doesn't mean you are biased against spiders, although a secondary byproduct of fear can be bias. Usually when people claim they fear something, they don't mean that they are simply against it; if you don't vote x party are you afraid of it or dismissive of it? In psychology, a phobia is a fear which isn't rational, thus can be diminished if analyzed etc - but it's not mere dismissal, let alone indifference with a touch of antipathy. In my view the crucial difference between the uses is that in actual phobias the fear is front and center, while in popular use the centerpiece is antipathy or indifference.

Still, there are other terrible uses of terms. For example: "what's your philosophy on cooking chili?", to which I'd say: :vomit:

Last edited:
Kyriakos, defender of the English language.

Why don't you grumble at chemists who say that some molecules are hydrophobic?
Because as far as we know, chemicals don't have emotions

Because as far as we know, chemicals don't have emotions
Wait but that’s what emotion ooooiooh I see what you’re doing ;

Top Bottom