1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

No, it's the same in RFC. Although the Sassanid Empire was still alive at that point, it fell soon after.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said I want to rectify this. It's nothing trivial, though, so it takes some time.

I think this is appropriate, because Indonesia is rather empty currently. But I'd have to do some research on the area first because I don't know much about it.

Do you know when this happens, or have the PythonDbg.log file?

I guess this happens because some Korean culture always leaks over to their island. I intend to remove that goal anyway because it's fairly trivial.

2. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

I think Indonesia would add a lot to the game actually.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I concur. I've already discovered veBear's amazing Indonesia module that could be easily incorporated without any problems :goodjob:

4. J. pride

J. pride King

I downloaded the latest svn and had a few suggestions regarding the silk route:

-I dont think the Silk Route should require you to have silk; that doesnt make sense. I mean if that was the case what would be the point of silk route in the first place. I started a game as the Mongols and the only city in the whole world that had access to silk corp was Beijing. The silk route should spread silk not require it. The precondition could be something like China having access to more that one silk

Instead of the silk route spreading to the best suiting cities on the whole map there should be regional contest instead. What i mean by this is historically the only way for Italy to get silk was either Anatolia or Levant.

So the best cities in every region should have silk:
    *1-2 cities in China
    *3 cities in Central Asia
    *1-2 cities in Persia and Mesopotamia
    *1-2 City in the Eastern Mediterranean (Levant,Anatolia, Balkan)
    *2 cities in Italy (to componsate for Italian spawn area)

These dont have to be the same numbers or region groups but u get what I mean.

To have regional cities competing to be part of the Silk Road is more historical and would be better for gameplay. This way cities like Anitoch, Baghdad and Constantinople or Merv and Samarkand would have to compete to be part of the route.

-Also in 600 Ad Silk route should be prebuilt in Constantinople, Tisfun, Samarkand, Beijing, and the other Silk Route cities u are going to add.

5. Opera

Opera Deity

@Leoreth: how do you intend to make the Italians selectable on start?

6. whaleman

whaleman Chieftain

Well, I might be able to think of some things for indonesia (sorry if this is inaccurate, I know almost nothing about the country)
    1. Control the East indies by (blank)
    2. Have islam in all cities by (blank)
    3. Never become a vassle by (blank)
    4. Never lose a city by (blank, 1940 possibly?)
    Oh, and one more thing. Is it possible to win if you become capitulated?

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The point of the silk route is not to allow other civ access to silk, but as a way of profiting more from it. What I don't like about it is that China is now inclined to hoard its silk while it should trade them away so others could get some as well. I'm thinking about spreading it out along the actual silk route cities more, though ...

I have to add that neither the spread algorithm nor even the display of present corporation (no idea why) works correctly currently.

Stop bothering with the respawn stuff and make them an actual player :)

The player cannot capitulate or otherwise become a vassal.

Well the Srivijaya and Majapahit periods certainly suggest a wealth or trade based goal as well as something related to Buddhism. Modern Indonesia could make for a good population based goal.

8. J. pride

J. pride King

The Silk Route is essentially a trade route which not only encompassed silk but many other commodities and ideas as well. Even if u take the silk part out of the equation the silk road could still function and silk indeed was smuggled to Western World as early as 500 ad. What i thought you were trying to do with this was stimulate growth, trade, revenue along the regions that encompassed the silk route especially Central Asia. Imo, the best way to do this is to give the silk route corp to the best cities in their respective region through which the silk route passes. Anyways even if u dont do it like that; here is the main flaw i see in ur current system. Suppose if the Italians or the Arabians are in countact with China and Silk corp spread to their cities but not to the Mongols or the Persian in between. I just dont see how that would be logical. Atleast one corp should be located on every region on the way. Can u imagine the Italians or the Byzantines getting silk directly from China when they thousands of miles apart and there are dozen kingdoms in between. Another problem with ur current system is that in my last game the corp spread only to Beijing; how would it profitable even if the the corp spread to a few other cities in East Asia; u really think that the silk route would be that important or profitable if it was a regional trade route that involved a few cities in China and the Gobi Desert. Unless the Route connects Asia, Middle East and Europe there is not point in it.

Also u can make the benifits of the Silk Route different for every region. For example in Central Asia the route attracted people and led to population growth while in Constantinople it was all about the revenue it produced.

???

9. whaleman

whaleman Chieftain

hey, I was thinking of some new civs that may be cool to add. tell me if you approve or disapprove of any.
    North America: Native American
    South America: N/A
    Europe: Poland, Austria/Hungary (or two seperate empires), greek revival
    Asia: Siam, Indonesia, Phillipines, Indian revival, Korea
    Middle East: Israel, Iraq (Babylon revival), Iran (Persian revival), Egyptian revival, Libyan Revival
    Africa: Zulu
    Oceania: Australia.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Well first, what you see in the current revision is work-in-progress status, so make sure not to confuse my intention with what you currently see. Also, I like to keep the general principle of the corporation system: resources being converted to yield and commerce types.

Korea is already there, only needs balancing. Israel/Poland are too small for the scale and only have a chance to be flavoured independents. Native Americans and Zulu are too disorganized imo to warrant a civilization (Civilizations in Abundance offers you the possibility to play as them).

11. Kcawesome

Kcawesome Chieftain

How about Canada, Brasil, and Argentina to that list?

12. comrade francis

comrade francis Chieftain

how is going to be represented the independence of the spanish colonies?.

Nice modmod, iam glad that is improving

13. Kcawesome

Kcawesome Chieftain

I guess, Spain's colonies revolt many times in my games.

14. J. pride

J. pride King

Well I dont how ur gonna make that work; especially that the only way for any civ other than China to have Silk Route Corp would be to get it from China.

15. rob85

rob85 Chieftain

Poland is not that small. At it biggest range they would have 4 or even 5 cities, with further expansion possibility to Russia and Hungary (Hungary was part of Jagiellon's empire).

Later Poland conquered parts of Livonia, too. I think that there's more room for Poland than for Austria actually. But I don't know which would be better for gameplay.
    And Poland itself inthe fullest extent (you can notice small colonial possessions):
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_1635.png

16. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Wouldn't this... cause issues? Namely:

1) Having to change so many things
    2) Increasing the number of civs, thereby making the mod less stable

Personally I see no issue with a conditional spawn.

It seems like the area would be awfully cramped enough once Prussia (transitioning to Modern Germany) was added. Again, a few Polish flavored indie states makes more sense.

17. J. pride

J. pride King

Actually, I would go a step ahead and recommend adding them as a minor Civilizations with the following features and capabilities:

-They spawn with two cities Warsaw (or Krakow) and Vilnius in 966 ad and 1250 ad respectively
    -Have the ability to conduct Diplomacy and Research.
    -Do not have the ability to build settlers.
    -Have severe penalties after Prussian spawn (if applicable towards minor civs or else just have Prussia and Russia be really agressive after 1600 ad.
    -Have a chance of respawning on several historical dates such as 1918,1945 and 1989.

I think adding them as a minor civ rather that an independent would add a lot more taste to the game. I mean they will occupie the same space as the independents u reccomended but this way they will actually add to the game but at the same time not cramp the the space too much. By the time Prussia spawns they would be conquered and divided by Prussia and Russia thus having the best of gameplay, historicity (if thats a word) and flavour to the game

18. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Letting them conduct diplomacy is impossible, I believe.

19. J. pride

J. pride King

In that case, Couldnt they just be added as a normal civ but without the possibility of switching to them or building settlers and having certain penalties relating stability, research etc

P.S: are u sure that it isnt possible or that is it that it hasnt been tried.

20. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

I'm gonna take that back. In the WBS there's two fields:

Code:
    	PlayableCiv=0                 
    	MinorNationStatus=1 
    The first decides whether the human can play them. The second whether they're a minor nation, i.e., no diplo and such. So it might be possible. Leoreth?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.