Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Nice idea, but which is the Protestant Holy City?

I can only see the clear case with Rome (catholicism), Jerusalem (Judaism) and Mekka (Islam).

Varanasi for hinduism and Boddhgaya for buddhism can already be argued about, as other places are considered just as holy. Orthodoxy has definitely multiple contenders. To be honest, I have no idea about canonical Holy Cities for the chinese religions. Qufu is very plausible but more as the Kong family residence than as the religious center (which was usually in the capital) . While Taoism looks pretty much decentralized, and honestly should rather be considered a pagan religion of China which is just strong enough to withstand proselytizers (like hinduism in India, too).

The All Saint's Church is located in Wittenberg, which is near Berlin. Although in the game the default holy city is Frankfurt.

The All Saint's Church is located in Wittenberg, which is near Berlin. Although in the game the default holy city is Frankfurt.
Which shows again how the Holy City concept isnt perfect. I'm a lutheran protestant from Germany and didn't know that the World's Center of Protestantism is located there... Um, wait, it isn't. That's because protestantism is diverse. Baptism in the Netherlands, Anglican church in Britain, Calvinists in Switzerland, all the above plus Evangelism in the US...​

New idea: civs should be able to nationalize their state religion. Meaning that for the state religion, cities don't contribute into the coffers of the Holy City holder anymore, but you also suffer a diplomatic penalty with said holder and all loyalists. Historical examples abound: anglican church vs. Vatikan, Shia Iran vs. Caliphate, independent developments in buddhism (lamaism and shintoism are not Theravana!), orthodox churches of ethiopia, russia, syria and greece...

Hm, also the religions could be more diverse. In fact, the RI system is pretty good in my opinion. Swine produces unhappiness in cities with Jewish and Muslim temples. Wine for the latter as well. All balanced out via the positive effects that religious buildings also provide.

Um, Should I have posted that in the suggestions thread?

Does the Chinese core expand to the south when controlled by human players too, or is it an AI buff only?

HRE UHV is one of the easier campaigns in the 600AD scenario, a 3000BC challenge could actually be quite fun I guess.
Especially since the AI rarely builds Holy Shrines...
That would mean you would have to make 1~2 GPs until 1000AD and make the 3 GAs after that.

?

But they do, what you mean?
Unless you're not using VD...

Pikemen should look like the renaissance pikemen, morion and plate. Many pikemen like the Viking and Russian ones look more like late spearmen then renaissance pikemen.

Bring or make me better art and it'll be better.

Can you report that save in the bug reports thread? Could be either a rounding error or some other calculation going wrong.

Can you report that save in the bug reports thread? Could be either a rounding error or some other calculation going wrong.

TIL that civ adjectives and short description are too vital to change

Global Warming in 18th century...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0195.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0195.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 334
Top Bottom