Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Sorry, what does this mean?
It should have said "fixed the at peace effect". I don't recall exactly what was broken but iirc the game did not accurately recognize when you were actually at peace.

Okay is the Indus Valley Civilization supposed to auto-collapse if the first UHV isn't accomplished ? I was unstable for about 20 turns before collapse. Here are the savegames. I collapsed at turn 152.
No, this must have been caused by something else.

It should have said "fixed the at peace effect". I don't recall exactly what was broken but iirc the game did not accurately recognize when you were actually at peace.

No, this must have been caused by something else.

Maybe this is the strange unstable collapse bug then...

I need saves where this happens to fix it.

Is it just me, or does China tech extremely fast? Playing as Japan (Monarch), I can't seem to catch up to them in tech in time for the UHV territorial requirement, even with Modernization. By the time I have Arquebusiers they usually have Riflemen and a huge stack of Artillery/Cuirassiers hidden somewhere.

EDIT: Yes it's the Chinese UP but still... there should be a way to keep them from being eras ahead of everyone else. Maybe make the Chinese AI stay dead for longer, as I've noticed they usually respawn a couple of turns later if collapsed by the Mongols.

Last edited:
Is there an updated strategy thread for civs with the new update ?

By "new update", are you referring to the latest Git revision? If so, there is no consolidated thread for that, to my knowledge. Your best bet would be to post in the Strategy Guides subforum for help with the specific civs you want help with.

I am referring to the new version actually, 1.15.
By "new update", are you referring to the latest Git revision? If so, there is no consolidated thread for that, to my knowledge. Your best bet would be to post in the Strategy Guides subforum for help with the specific civs you want help with.

Just updated to SVN. Is the lack of an Italian fleet on spawn now intentional? I quite liked the free transport ship, I used it to go conquer Libya :(

Just updated to SVN. Is the lack of an Italian fleet on spawn now intentional? I quite liked the free transport ship, I used it to go conquer Libya :(

Taking Libya just after spawn? I'm not surprised it is not possible... I think the expansion should take some time.
I played Italy in autumn and I liked the start with small area.

I very recently played Italy myself and did get naval units. And there have been no updates that changed the Italian spawn units.

I think you were very unlucky. IIRC it is possible that no naval units spawn if there are no free water tiles available in next to the spawn plot.

Progress is slow but I'm in it for the long haul

Not much has happened the last few months obviously and that is not because there are secret things happening in the background, I'm afraid.

I have a few questions, if nobody minds my asking!

1: Why is Hokkaido excluded from the Industrial Era Japanese Core? Is it because of its less significance in Japanese history?

2: One of Brazil's UHVs require building the Three Gorges Dam. This is a Chinese wonder in real life. Is it being used to represent/substitute something?

3: When I adopt Secularism, civs I met before adopting said civic still give me the heathen religion diplo penalty. I thought it was supposed to be no state religion. :crazyeye:

4: In one of my games, I got a -2 Unhappiness stability penalty even though my cities were all happy. I think it's because of the "Controversial Philosopher" event that I got. I don't think the unhappiness is going to wear off, so is the penalty permanent?

2) The wonder has been renamed to Itaipu Dam by now.
4) You also get stability penalties for temporary unhappiness even if it is canceled by happiness.

OOOOOOHHHHH that explains it. I've noticed that too, but I didn't really bother looking into it.

Reading 4) above was a new discovery for me. I was thinking, what if we put all these seemingly not obvious tidbits about DoC--this, along with many other stuff in the main threads--into the hints section? I think it needs updating, likem lots of it. :lol: Mostly those rules on DoC that aren't explicitly stated in the Civilopedia or cannot be found in in-game element tooltips. :)

Tried start games with Mali and Mughals several times, but the Middle East is always Byzantine after autoplay. Shouldn't there be a mechanic to prevent them flipping the whole Levant and Egypt on Arab collapse? Thought an this was accomplished previously with an Egypt respawn as Mamluks, but it's been years since I've played. Seems a lot of work has been done to highly polish this mod, so I can't imagine this is something that wouldn't warrant addressing. I'm always stunned when I come back after a time and see how fresh the mod is made again. Looking forward to trying all the new stuff, just too much of a historical nitpick to send Mansa Musa on the hajj through Byzantine Memphis, or whatever. Thanks a lot, as always!

True, I'll look into how that plays out. Can you tell me when the Arab collapse and subsequent flip happens usually in your games?

Not sure the exact dates, but Arabs were only alive after one autoplay (AD 988) and collapsed three turns later, with Byzantium flipping the same turn. It makes sense the Arabs would have a high chance of collapse in the 10th century, just that the center of the Arab world should shift to Egypt. Would be awesome to see a Fatimid spawn around 950 with a playable option like the Safavids. Thanks for the quick reply. The tech/civic/building overhaul looks amazing, btw. Like a whole new game

Leo, I just find you change China spawn year to 2070bc, it's good, a great change. There's a point maybe need to notice, 2070bc is the start of Xia Dynasty, and the core area of this dynasty is in Henan Province nowaday. So I suggest to change the spawn plot of China to Luoyang or Kaifeng.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xia_dynasty)
Spoiler :

Also another suggestion about English UHV3, Colonize all the world by 1730ad is absurd. If I remenber correct, it is because of America spawns in 1733ad in an old version of RFC. Now England can colonize Canada before Canada spawns in 1867ad, so I think the UHV in Imp. Knoedel's sunset modmod is suitable. It is "Colonize the world in 1860ad and build a railway from Capetown to Cairo by 1920ad. Much more challenging, it requires England to control most part in East Africa.

Top Bottom