1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Pop rushing exists because it's an interesting game mechanic that interacts with conflicting goals around population growth, happiness and unit or building production and has some elegant inherent trade offs between different short and long term goals. I will under no circumstances remove or replace the mechanic as is. It is deliberately associated with a civic that is broadly historically applicable to all eras in history because the player always wants the option to use it so doing so is meant to be plausible throughout the entire game. Furthermore, its powerful effect is placed in a category where it competes with other powerful effects to make its use non-obvious.

It's just a game mechanic after all and best looked at more abstractly. It's only because of the vanilla game that you associate this so literally with slavery.

2. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

What period in history would The Oracle have been built? Is it intended that it can be built ~2000 BC?

3. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

It should require fish so that Babylonians would not be able to build it before the Greeks.

4. Oblivionyx

Oblivionyx Chieftain

Or island in city radius, so the Greeks are sure to build it.

5. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Chieftain

In the 1700 AD scenario, Bukhara is on Samarkand's tile and Khiva is on Bukhara's. Mongolia has no cities. It should have at least one, either Karakorum or Ulanbaatar/Khüree.

6. DKVM

DKVM Joker

Even if it is rather anachronistic, I am fairly certain that the slave labor as depicted in Civ IV is meant to be equivalent to the early chattel slavery system (15th-17th century) of the Americas in which slaves were indeed worked literally to death and replaced just as quickly.

7. Oblivionyx

Oblivionyx Chieftain

I've figured out how to win the Arabian UHV (600 AD). The key is to have the Byzantines declare war on you, then use the extra troops to kick the Turks out of their core area. They'll respawn with Oghuz + Swordsmen + Catapults at 1000ish in Persia and Mesopotamia, which can easily be crushed with a few Mobile Guards.

In fact, I made peace with them when they respawned. Since they had no cities, their armies just wandered around my territory while I had fun picking off their Oghuz one by one. :mwaha:

The Mongols also appeared with conquerors. They took a few of my Persian cities, but I was able to drive them back in time.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  8. Genghis Khaiser

As for America's third UHV, what does it mean by "allies"? Defensive pacts? Friendly relations? Both?

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Defensive pacts.

10. Genghis Khaiser

What does the Colombian civ represent? Just Colombia or all countries in the Gran Colombia area (Venezuela, Panama, Ecuador)?

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

The latter as well.

12. Genghis Khaiser

I don't know if this happens already but I think the AI shouldn't build any civ's historical Wonders until 10 or 20 turns after their spawn or approximate date of either tech research or historical construction, UHV or not. The exceptions being those that were built before the civ's spawn.

For example, Mexico's Chapultepec Castle was built from 1785 to 1863, so it should be either built by AI Spanish or until after Mexico's spawn, depending on which date you take.

Speaking of Wonders, where is Al-Khazneh in both the 600 AD and 1700 AD scenarios?

Oblivionyx likes this.
  13. ozqar

ozqar Chieftain

Just to clarify, you mean for other civ not to be able to build wonders before their real-world owner spawns, to give the real-world owners a chance to build it?

Oblivionyx likes this.
  14. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

I just got a Phoenician Baalist Religious Victory in 370 BC without even trying. I had three cities, each with a Pagan Temple and the rest of the world had twelve Pagan Temples I guess. None of my cities have any religion because of how early into the game it is, and a single trade route from my city of Qart-Hadasht to Egypt's city of Abw was apparently the highest trade route profit of any city in the world at 2.85 Commerce.

Has anyone else unintentionally gotten a religious victory?

15. Orbii

Orbii Chieftain

The Polynesian URV is easier than its UHV, as one example.

16. Genghis Khaiser

Exactly, but except obviously for the human player.

17. Enyavar

Enyavar Chieftain

Polynesia, yes. You win URV unless you limit yourself to just the most necessary cities for the UHV - you need 12(?) cities with as much culture as possible, which includes temples. And 15 pagan temples worldwide wins you the URV, so you better hope no-one still has them around when you're ready to finish in 1200 AD.

It was a really close one in a game as Orthodox Russia when Scandinavia, Holy Rome, Italy and Poland were converted to Orthodoxy... and suddenly Spain triggered the Reformation, with Spain, England AND France switching to Protestantism. The only thing that stood between me and my unintentional victory, was Catholic Portugal, which was conquered by Spain just a few turns later... but not before Catholicism had spread really early in Kongo. Later, the south american catholics took over, and I could stop worrying. But I think that Catholicism dying out on its own rarely happens in the mid-game.

Though, I can also remember that I accidentally fulfilled the Orthodoxy goals with the Carthaginians (independents had inherited Catholic shrine from Rome, but no catholic civ was around - yet), but that was after I had already scored the UHV. (I'm really fond of playing the civs past their expiration date.)
    I'd say if you try, Orthodoxy URV is pretty easy to achieve with a cultural-oriented Rome/Greece/Carthage setup: Rule the Mediterranean, build your cathedrals and fill the five top cultural spots before the Spanish arrive.

1SDAN and Oblivionyx like this.
  18. Publicola

Publicola Chieftain

I decided to look up how the Mayans constructed their major temples, and found this: a major limestone quarry at Nakbe, in the heart of the Yucatan peninsula. When we work on the Big Map, we should definitely add a stone or marble resource to that spot, so that Chichen Itza has enough production to finish the wonder on its own. (If we still need to incentivize the historical approach, we could always add it to the UHV requirement that there be a Palace + Temple of Kukulcan built at Chichen Itza...)

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

It's deliberate that the Maya have to fight the Zapotecs to get the stone to build the Temple of Kukulcan in time. Not particularly for historical reasons per se but more because having a goal just to research and build a wonder is a bit too simple. With a military component, there is more balancing and strategising required.

20. Genghis Khaiser

Is there any other way to improve Chichen Itza's production?