1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'm not to partial to the patriarchy *rimshot*

2. Vit20141012

Vit20141012 Chieftain

When I built the Apostolic Palace in Rome, the Holy City changed from Jerusalem to Rome. I think it is not correct, as the Great Wonder Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem is located.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That is intentional. I plan to work on the relationship of Catholicism, Orthodoxy and the AP soon though.

4. Vit20141012

Vit20141012 Chieftain

I wish you success!

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'll probably need you guys's help there, I'll go create a thread for this soon.

6. Vit20141012

Vit20141012 Chieftain

My map (860 AD)
    Spoiler :

7. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Chieftain

Given that this is the general discussion thread, how do I update my game with Git? I have read a lot about it throughout these forums but I can't find where does it say how to update your files.

I often have to delete and reinstall my files to solve this problem.

8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

You're using Tortoise Git right?

Simply right-click the DoC folder and select "Git Pull ..." and confirm.

9. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite Chieftain

Regarding Mercantilism:

Does the reduced stability bonus apply to already established colonies or only to colonies founded after adopting civic?

Another question, let's say I'm playing as Ethiopia, the text clearly says 'overseas' but would that apply to founding cities outside the core, like in South Africa and Madagascar?

If it helps any, I'm running v1.12.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Mercantilism applies to all cities regardless of when they have been founded, including conquered cities.

Overseas always means on a different landmass. This definition of landmass counts islands with 20 tiles or less as part of the nearest continental landmass (e.g. Britain and Ireland are the same landmass as continental Europe). Note that Africeurasia and the Americas are artificially split into multiple landmasses, leaving the following major landmasses:
    - western Eurasia (including the Middle East, Russia, Siberia and cis-Saharan Africa)
    - eastern Eurasia (the rest of Asia including Indonesia)
    - sub-Saharan Africa
    - Australia and Oceania
    - North America
    - South America

In consequence, every city on another landmass than your capital's counts as overseas.

11. phoenix_sprite

phoenix_sprite Chieftain

Thanks for answering my questions! So, by that definition, Cairo (Niwt-Rst) and Alexandria (Buto) are technically on a different landmass than Aksum?

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I'm not entirely sure where the boundary goes but I think that is the case! Egypt being in western Eurasia and Ethiopia in sub-Saharan Africa.

13. Zanzetkuken

Zanzetkuken Chieftain

I'm not sure the exact root cause, so I'm needing to ask here. I'm running a 3000 BC Marathon game using the Persian Civilization. Arabia had spawned in and had largely conquered my cities, but I narrowly managed to push them back and capture Mecca itself. Just as I am about to enter the process of reorganizing everything at around 770-780, the game stated my civilization was destroyed and all my cities are transferred over to either independents, barbarians, or back to Arabia. Is this supposed to happen? I admit, I was a bit on the unstable side, but that was my best game I had played...ever, I believe. So was the tradeover a glitch, intended to happen when on low stability for a certain period of time, or something hardcoded into the mod?

14. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Chieftain

That's happened to me before. I love playing Persia well past the Mongolian invasion (the seljuk usually will kill you off)

Anyways, that happened because your stability went down the drain.

15. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

If you are not collapsing, you should not just lose all your cities. In any case the game is supposed to tell you why you lost your game. If you still have a save from before the collapse I could take a closer look at it.

16. ozqar

ozqar Chieftain

Hey, I was playing an Aztecs game and sent a galley to the Caribbean to meet try and stop the conquerors from showing up. I bumped into a Spanish caravel in 1405, somewhere between Hispaniola and Puerto Rico (so far away from my territory). Got the conquerors anyway, 22 turns after the start of my game.

What's the way to avoid them, playing as a new world civ? and could we do anything to not have the Spanish so early around there? Because, unless there's something I'm missing here, this is frankly unplayable.

17. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Knoedel Imperator Satani Filius Augustus Nooborum

Making caravels require Gunpowder could do the trick. :mischief:

18. ozqar

ozqar Chieftain

That would solve the second part of the issue (delaying their arrival), but honestly, as a player, having no options to avoid the spawn of the conquerors (and especially in such a condition where you don't have enough time to prepare defenses) and just relying on luck, hoping the Europeans decide to sail elsewhere is not fun at all.

19. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Chieftain

What I do is building an army intensively. If you want to go for the UHV building sacrificial altars and pagan temples, they can wait. Build at least two archers per city (much better if you can make it to Feudalism), some catapults for collateral damage, and as many Jaguars and spearmen as you can.

20. Zanzetkuken

Zanzetkuken Chieftain

From the closest save I have it looks like I had the 'collapsing' stability. Managed to eventually get a handle on it and nearly get the tech to get to the New World half a millennia before anyone else, but the Seljuks spawned in with several dozen soldiers next to the big cities of my empire. I lasted about 4 turns before complete collapse.