Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Be aware that the music selection is implemented in the DLL. You can easily edit through XML which pieces are featured in the existing playlists but the selection of playlists and their conditions for playing require compiling the DLL. But once you are doing that, there is nothing to stop you from using other criteria beyond state religion.

1. No, it does not. Mostly civilisations are destroyed by collapse before they lose their last city, but that is a sufficient condition for destroying them.
2. Probably not if you are going for the Unique Historical Victory, which is very tight and challenging for Babylonia due to its comparatively short history (in game turns) and therefore requires both some experience and trial and error. I would recommend a large European civilisation, such as Spain, France or England as your first game, because they have good modifiers, a long game and lots of different ways to grow and accomplish their goals. If you want someone who starts earlier, China is a good choice as well.

Is there absolutely no way of staying on the map until the modern age if you play a civ that doesn't exist anymore? In that case I feel China is a good start, I like starting from the beginning.

Is there absolutely no way of staying on the map until the modern age if you play a civ that doesn't exist anymore? In that case I feel China is a good start, I like starting from the beginning.
Of course there is, but it's harder for civilisations for which that would be ahistorical, so as a start civ I would suggest something else.

Did you mean Confucian or Taoist?
Right, corrected.

Economic stability:
- "total commerce" is counted, i.e. the sum of gold, science, culture and espionage with city modifiers
So if a city has a library but not a market
(thus giving 25% boost to beakers but none to gold)
its contribution will differ when I change the beaker slider between 0% and 100%?

Yes.

I feel like there are far too many AI doomstacks spawning in the Middle East throughout the game.

First there are the Greeks who spawn units all the way from Egypt to Persia,
then there's the Romans who also spawn units in Egypt and Syria,
then there are the Turks who spawn a good 80 units from Anatolia to Persia,
then there are the Mongols,
then there are the Ottomans.

Seriously, playing as the Babylonians and the Arabs,
I got the feeling that this was beyond reasonable.
In order to survive you have to know the exact timing of every doomstack spawns,
and hope that the AI don't direct all of their free troops towards you.

This is extremely frustrating, especially for new players who aren't aware of the doomstacks.
I strongly suggest that free troops be toned down.
It's not like they can't crush AI opponents with some less troops anyway.

I feel like there are far too many AI doomstacks spawning in the Middle East throughout the game.

First there are the Greeks who spawn units all the way from Egypt to Persia,
then there's the Romans who also spawn units in Egypt and Syria,
then there are the Turks who spawn a good 80 units from Anatolia to Persia,
then there are the Mongols,
then there are the Ottomans.

Seriously, playing as the Babylonians and the Arabs,
I got the feeling that this was beyond reasonable.
In order to survive you have to know the exact timing of every doomstack spawns,
and hope that the AI don't direct all of their free troops towards you.

This is extremely frustrating, especially for new players who aren't aware of the doomstacks.
I strongly suggest that free troops be toned down.
It's not like they can't crush AI opponents with some less troops anyway.
It is quite historically accurate, not to mention that Babylon's UHV does not require you to interact with them and Arabia's is balanced around them.

Playing past the UHV is a challenge mode, and Babylon's is among the most challenging of them all.

Can't you spawn the stacks a few tiles away from the cities and still auto declare war. This gives atleast some time to react to the incoming force.

It is quite historically accurate, not to mention that Babylon's UHV does not require you to interact with them and Arabia's is balanced around them.

Playing past the UHV is a challenge mode, and Babylon's is among the most challenging of them all.
Yes, there were a lot of people who invaded that region, but they didn't conjure troops out of thin air.

Yes, there were a lot of people who invaded that region, but they didn't conjure troops out of thin air.
When a single turns represents a timespan of up to 30 years, they might as well have.

Hey, I'm tired of everyone's screenshots looking so much more beautiful than mine so I want to download the Blue Marble terrain pack. Where does the git repository go for terrain packs? Also, is the VD pack incompatible with the develop version? If so, I should skip it?

Hey, I'm tired of everyone's screenshots looking so much more beautiful than mine so I want to download the Blue Marble terrain pack. Where does the git repository go for terrain packs? Also, is the VD pack incompatible with the develop version? If so, I should skip it?

The second message on the welcome thread contains a download link for the DoC-specific build of Blue Marble. I think VD is already compatible with 1.16. (Am I right, Leo?)

The second message on the welcome thread contains a download link for the DoC-specific build of Blue Marble. I think VD is already compatible with 1.16. (Am I right, Leo?)
Yeah, what's the process, do I have to make a git clone and where does that clone go? Sorry, I used the wrong terminology.

Your question sounds like you are already running the git version of DoC. In that case, I suggest you also clone the separate repositories for Blue Marble and VD (in case you want that, see below) simply next to the mod directory in Beyond the Sword/Mods. You will find a BlueMarble.fpk file in its folder, you can then just copy it into RFC Dawn of Civilisation/Assets/.

For Varietas Delectat, you have to know that the module is currently compatible with the main mod, but it is common for that to change while the base mod is being developed. Also, when you install VD, it will overwrite some existing files of the base mod. That means that if you want to get updates affecting these files through git, there will be a conflict and the update will fail, in a way that is not easy to resolve for you. Essentially installing VD for a git version, even when compatible, will prevent further updates and defeat the purpose of running from git. If you still want to do it, copy the Assets folder from the VD git repo you cloned into RFC Dawn of Civilisation, integrating it into the existing Assets folder (overwrite everything).

But in that case, just downloading the installer to get DoC with VD is the safer and easier approach.

Top Bottom