1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Stalin and Starlight, Stalling a Stallion

The Madrassa has as free start era Modern while for regular Libraries it's Renaissance. Now I know this is completely inconsequential because it has no actual effect on gameplay, and I could have just changed this myself and made a pull request, but I'm apparently too stupid for Git*. Also apparently most XML tags in BuildingInfos.xml are now optional and have been removed when they contain the default value, which means merging Dawn of Knoedel with the latest version of DoC is now no longer a simple sequence of "Alt+Down, if I want that change Alt+Right then Alt+Down otherwise just Alt+Down" but instead "Oh for crying out loud, what exactly did I change about this building again? There's this huge gigantic block of tags shown as difference, do I have to look through all that to see if I actually made a change somewhere? Urgh, let me consult my Changelog text file and then copy and paste what I want." So I figured the least I could do is waste a minute or two of your time as well, considering how much more time I now have to spend merging.

Also dear lord please tell me the same thing didn't happen to Unitinfos.xml as well or I'll be merging all day long.

*I did try changing one file (the 3000BC scenario to add a forest in the Netherlands) after jumping through the usual "delete my fork and make a new one because I'm too stupid to find out how else I'm supposed to keep my fork up to date", but somehow the site always froze when I actually tried to edit it, so I gave up on that.

Edit: It seems all unique versions of the Library have the same problem as the Madrassa. Also sweet Marx you did the same thing with Unitinfos. And the stupid sun is blinding me. That's it, I'll go out for a walk! All you seem to be doing with every new update is making my life harder! When have you ever done anything for me? Apart from introducing me to Winmerge. And telling me that my old approach of just copying and pasting files is bad. And answering various modding related questions. And developing this mod in the first place.

But what have you done for me recently? :mad:

2. Sgt. Bears

Sgt. Bears Warlord

I also did it to the CivicInfos and PromotionInfos files.

The way I used to change the BuildingInfos and UnitInfos text files in the first place was to use notepad++'s replace all function to replace every tag labeled >NONE< or >0< with nothing. Then use the remove blank lines command to remove the gaps. This would leave all your changes intact.
    That was how I removed all the optional tags in the first place.

Edit: I uploaded the unique library free era fix to github for you.

3. Imp. Knoedel

So you were the one responsible for it!

That's all fine and dandy, but where do I get that one single file?

4. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I didn't know such a function existed. This is really useful.

Just copy paste.
    https://github.com/SgtBears/Dawn-of...es/Assets/XML/Buildings/CIV4BuildingInfos.xml

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Winmerge should still be able to identify the differing lines and allow you to merge your changes.

6. Imp. Knoedel

I'm sure there were a bunch of differing lines that were hidden in the middle of large blocks full of 0 or none tags, even though curiously enough I can't find any example of that in Unitinfos.

At any rate, thanks to Bears for sharing that function with me, this is gonna save me a lot of time. :goodjob:

Edit: Aha, I found such a situation in CivicInfos! Can you tell me within ten seconds of checking the attached screenshot which tag apart from upkeep has a different (that is non zero) value in the left half? And how I am supposed to merge this without just copy pasting the relevant tag? I tried just selecting the offending tag and hitting Alt+Right but it would move over the entire block instead of just the one change I want.

Attached Files:

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Okay yeah that's stupid.

8. Imp. Knoedel

*sigh* Alright whose idea was it to rename "NUMIDIAN_CAVALRY" to "NUMIDIAN_NUMIDIAN_CAVALRY" in the gamefiles? For that matter, what's the point in changing the name of every unique unit so that its civ's name is now an adjective in the first place?

9. Imp. Knoedel

It just occurred to me that Legends of Revolution has wonder movies for every national wonder, and even academies, military academies, Scotland Yard and all Vanilla religion shrines. SDI has its own movie as well, and in my modmod for LoR I added one for the Apollo Program too which I found somewhere in the database. Would there be an interest in adding all of those here? I could do it in an hour or so and make a pull request on Git I guess. Most of them are just image slideshows with some music rather than a really animated video, but it does the job just as well.

Btw I plan on adding the following resources in my modmod:

Sugar at X35Y29 (Suriname)

Oil at X86Y33 (India)

Coal at X93Y35 (India)

Aluminum at X113Y12 (Australia)

Aluminum at X89Y43 (India)

Aluminum at X102Y43 (China)

plus forest in the Netherlands in 3000BC and 600AD

Should I upload maps with these changes to Git?

10. Sgt. Bears

Sgt. Bears Warlord

My fault again :). The naming standard I used was the civ's adjective then the unit's name (BTS's standard). The problem with the Numidian Cavalry was that it's civ was Numidia and it's name was Numidian Cavalry. I'll upload a pull request to reverse that.

In my defence it was Leoreth's idea to remove all unneeded tags.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Can you show the map changes on the ingame map?

Movies for shrines and national wonders would be great. Only for things that are only built once though, so e.g. academies and war academies should be excluded.

12. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

And what if the movie only appears the first time you build a wonder that can be build multiple times? It isn't that hard to code.

13. Imp. Knoedel

There's also wonder movies (again, slideshows with music) for the Brandenburg Gate, Forbidden Palace, the Moai Statues, Mount Rushmore and Trafalgar Square, and I think they might be just still images currently. (I know for a fact with Mt. Rushmore, I just checked ingame.) Should I replace those as well?

14. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

It's mostly a question of figuring out the right place to code that in I suppose. If possible I wouldn't mind.
    Yeah sure. Videos are always preferable to still images.

15. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I already did a small test to see if it works and it's just 1 line of code.

Spoiler :
    It's just a check how many buildings of that type you already have. The movie could reappear if you loose the city in which you build the first academy etc., but I don't think that will happen very often. You usually build these buildings in your important cities which you want to keep at all costs.

16. Imp. Knoedel

I implemented my changes locally and tested them, the resources and forest without any issues, but somehow no video will play upon finishing a national wonder. It works fine for the shrines, SDI, Apollo Program and the world wonders, however neither national wonders nor academies or military academies acknowledge the existence of any video when they are complete. I triple and quadruple checked the paths and everything, the only explanation I could think of is that some code actively suppresses videos for those buildings for whatever reason.

Whatever the reason, I will now try to somehow make a pull request out of these changes, wish me luck.

17. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Don't worry about that. There is a line that only shows the wondermovie if the building is a wonder. I fixed it already (locally) when I tested the "only appear at first instance" wondermovie.

EDIT:
    It's now a pull request.

18. Imp. Knoedel

I am reasonably sure that I made a pull request of my changes as well.

It just occurs to me that since some of the wonder movies (Brandenburg, Moai Statues, Mount Rushmore, Trafalgar Square, and the shrines) replace a still image it might make sense to delete those older versions.

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Does that mean we have two competing PRs for the same feature now? And yeah I would prefer if the replaced still images were deleted at the same time.

20. Imp. Knoedel

I don't think so? As I understand it merijn only PR'ed a bit of code that allows national wonders and (military) academies to allow playing a movie at all, while my PR contains the actual new movies along with the necessary adjustments to buildinginfos and art_defines_movies plus unrelated map changes.

Guess I'll put a new Pull Request up tomorrow with the redundant files deleted.

Just one question though while I'm at it: Do you want the still image for the Catholic shrine replaced with the LoR movie too? I figured I'd leave it be for now in these uncertain times for the Christianities.