1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

I was doing a Arabia game, and I noticed in 1200 that the tech leader was the Vikings.
    I checked again in 1300 and it was still the Vikings.
    I opened the WB at this point and checked that they vastly outpaced the other European civs (except Byz).

Ragnar the Scholar.jpg

I already mentioned a few days ago in this thread that Vikings are very fast in tech.
    To confirm it I rolled 5 Ottoman Starts in the 600AD Scenario with Monarch Difficulty and Normal Speed.
    The result was:

Test01.jpg Test02.jpg Test03.jpg Test04.jpg Test05.jpg

In 3 cases the Vikings were the #1 tech leader with no equals.
    In 1 case they were in seconded only by the Arabs, who survived the Turkic invasion, by a single tech.
    In 1 case they were on 2nd place along with Germany. 1st place were France and Italy. Again, they were seconded by a single tech.

I observed in other games that the Vikings are very fast in tech not only in the Medieval Era, but through all eras.
    But this is hard to show in test cases because 1) later starts mean longer loading time
    and 2) Vikings are highly unstable after Renaissance and keep collapsing/respawning.

Considering that the Scandinavian region does not have a lot of commerce
    (few river tiles, no commerce resource except one silver and fur)
    and that the Vikings always have Conquest civic,
    I must conclude that their tech modifier must be way too good.

TL DR; Viking tech speed is overpowered.

1SDAN and Bernd-das-Brot like this.
  2. Enyavar

Enyavar Chieftain

Oh, by the way, is there a way to change the behaviour of this queue-switching? I can currently only add and remove items to the queue, and either to the start (shift) or to the end of the queue (ctrl). Maybe the other way around, but my point is that under the Bug-Mod Controls I experienced when I played Realism:Invictus, that I could simply MOVE items within the queue, up and down with the shift- and control-keys. That was more convenient - currently, when I want to switch the order of two items, I have to remove one of them and then add it at the end or start. Micromanaging a queue of four or five items turns is an effort.

Was that some option in the BUG Controls which I just can't find currently, or is it just not possible to change this in DoC?

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Not sure how RI does this. It's possible to incorporate this but if it's not just a BUG option it would take some work.

1SDAN likes this.
  4. f1rpo

f1rpo plastics

Probably via K-Mod:

Enyavar likes this.
  5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Ah nice, thanks. Another reason why everyone should be eager for the moment where I can merge AdvCiv.

6. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Chieftain

I noticed that when Wonders provide free buildings, they disappear once the Wonder is lost or obsoleted. Is this intentional? Because it is an obstacle in keeping certain empires tall.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Empire and tall is a contradiction, isn't it?

8. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

Why would Russia, who is pleased and has a defensive pact with me, vote against me in World Congress?
    Civ4ScreenShot0320.JPG
    What's more, my units near Charleston got teleported to England.
    Civ4ScreenShot0319.JPG

Leoreth likes this.
  9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Probably because it values it's relationship with England and England's claim higher than your claim and your relationship.

Were your units teleported after accepting the request? Or regardless?

10. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

After accepting, yes.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Could be a simple switch up and your units were accidentally sent to the new owner's home territory instead of yours. I'll make a note to check.

JHLee likes this.
  12. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

I'll upload the Autosave on the bug thread, in case that would help.

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yes it would, thanks.

14. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Chieftain

Well, it technically is. What about that effect in small ones?

15. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I think it's working as intended as it is now.

16. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

Quick question: Does the VD module make the mod lag more? Is there a significant difference in performance?

17. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yes. The unit art consumes more memory space, so it impacts performance, in particular in the lategame. That's the main reason why it's an optional module.

JHLee likes this.
  18. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

aren't the arts and other visual stuff stored in the gpu memory? if they are going to be stored in the ram what's the purpose of memory in gpus?

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Computer memory always consists of multiple layers. Each layer has larger capacity but slower access rates as you go outward. Hard drives have huge capacity but lower access rate, RAM has less capacity but is faster, GPU memory is even faster but smaller (and also access optimised for rendering graphics), and there are additional layers in your mainboard for even smaller but faster storage that people usually don't talk about. Each of the smaller layers is a subset of the same data that is also in the higher one. In other words everything in your GPU memory is also in your RAM, and GPU memory alone is not sufficient to hold all graphics that the game loads from the hard drive to be ready when the game is running.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  20. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

I understand disk-ram-cache-register hierarchy but GPUs have around at least 2-4 gbs of rams in most cases, thought this would be enough to store textures of a game like Civ4.