1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Yeah, but as I understand it GPU cache resides below RAM in the hierarchy, i.e. you don't actually save space in RAM for the graphics.

2. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

LMFAO.
    Turn 2 as the Moors Spain left Madrid undefended so I was able to take it instantly with a single horse archer, destroying Spain and immediately securing my northern border.
    I know they'll respawn later on but jesus, this made my life about 100x easier.

Attached Files:

3. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

The Moors 3rd UHV is still really annoying and basically a coin flip. For context I have blockaded the entirety of the Mediterranean and the Atlantic, such that not a single civilisation in Europe can field a navy since I'll immediately sink it. This of course means no colonisation of the Americas, as European settlers will never be able to reach it due to my pirate empire.
    Unfortunately each one only makes about 2 gold per turn from piracy so even then I still won't be able to reach 3000.

On a side note, if I keep playing this I think I'll prevent the US and Canada from spawning, or, alternatively, make them Islamic.

Attached Files:

black213 likes this.
  4. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

My suggestion with piracy: Build a navy as large as you can. Once you've met the first two UHV requirements don't build anything else but Corsairs at Cordoba, Marrakech, and any other highly productive city you have. After that, settle next to each coastal city you need with three Corsairs each. I recommend Portugal (if they're alive), then the Mediterranean, then the rest of Europe, and then Africa, India, and Japan. Don't bother with nations that are able to build Frigates because they will sink your Corsairs in no time.

5. JHLee

JHLee Prince

Raid Asia, they'll throw all the caravels you need to sink at your corsairs.

Publicola likes this.
  6. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Thanks, folks. I'd done about 2 Corsairs to each European city but that clearly wasn't enough. If I try again I think I'll storm Egypt, build and hold the Suez Canal, and set sail to Asia.

7. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

I'm playing 1700 AD as Japan and I need an UHV guide.

I rage quit around 1910 because I had only conquered China and part of Manchuria, Korea had just got independent and Britain was way too ahead on technology even though I spied on them.

8. catacau

catacau Chieftain

Go with only one core city, conquer Korea and colonize Manchuria and Japan, then conquer Philippines, then China and the rest.

Research techs that your neighbors aren't researching or doesn't have, so you can trade with them later on. Those techs usually are on the bottom of the research tree. Try to complete the culture UHV ASAP so you can begin to expand to Korea and to the historical area of Japan and Manchuria.

9. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

Correction: I'm playing the 1700 AD scenario, I already have pre-built cities and stuff.

10. catacau

catacau Chieftain

Invade Britain. Just joking, idk what you can't do :(

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  11. JHLee

JHLee Prince

You should probably invade Britain anyway for the 3rd goal. And a bunch of other Western civs.

12. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

For that I'll need a massive army and navy, and I have like five other regions I must conquer.

mateyson likes this.
  13. mateyson

mateyson Chieftain

All you need to conquer Brittain are 3 galleons with 2-3 bombards and some samurais) :viking:

14. Orbii

Orbii Warlord

Very true (maybe with an extra Galleon). The colonizing European AI's are TERRIBLE at defending their core cities in the 1700 AD scenario.

15. JHLee

JHLee Prince

One thing about the current Expansion Stability system.

It has too much dependency on core population.
    While this ensures clarity to players (honestly I never knew how expansion stability worked before 1.12)
    and is acceptable in the context of historical accuracy,
    it has its constraints.

For one thing, if you lose your core cities, you lose.
    There can't exist a Free France fighting on in Africa anymore, no more exiled British government in Canada/Australia,
    no more Greek successor states in the Middle East/Egypt after the Roman conquest of Greece, as featured in this sample screenshot in the 'Welcome to DoC' thread.
    Civ4ScreenShot0249.JPG

Sure, your capital population counts as core pop if you lose your core entirely, but no civ is going to be able to maintain that.
    Especially since your new 'non-core' capital used to count towards 'peripheral score', so there was no reason to grow it high up till now in terms of Expansion stability.

Also the strategy of 'core-rushing' is extremely gamey.
    AIs don't guard their core area as well as they should,
    so if you want their land or they are getting too fast in tech or whatever,
    all you have to do is snipe their (at most times) no-more-than-3 core cities and Boom! they are gone.

Would there be a way to solve this problem?
    How about making cities in historical/contested area actually count towards core score if they have >80% of your culture?
    But then with the current culture system it would be too easy I guess.

I really wish more 'exiled civs' were allowed to exist, I don't think I have seen any since 1.12 except the 'Exiled Portuguese Government' in the Azores.

16. DanLT3

DanLT3 Warlord

I don't agree. If its any civs that should collapse it is those who lost their core cities. Rather like when they collapse due to having bad relations or bad trade balance.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  17. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

The only solution I could think of is some kind of delayed effect. That is, the game remembers your highest core population for a while after you lose a city in the core, and it decays more slowly over time. That would give some time to survive and recapture the core and make core rushing less effective. But I could think of other ways that would be gamey.

canexpthat, Publicola and 1SDAN like this.
  18. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, I'm getting a -24 penalty even if my only city (my capital, obviously) is not in my core and has 5+ population. And no matter what your stability is, your civ automatically collapses if you lose a city and you have no core cities.

canexpthat likes this.
  19. JHLee

JHLee Prince

Oh yeah, you are right. I was thinking of the cases when you never settle a core city.
    True, losing core is a far worse situation than those.
    Yeah, I can imagine some cases when this would make things worse.
    Ah, well. Maybe someday we might think up of a better way to improve this feature.

20. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

If you've lost your core cities, it's not exactly like you're in a position of strength. Getting your home base wiped out is punishment enough, so I think a chance to reclaim it all - or even establish new empires (see: Bactria) is entirely worth it.