1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Force44

Force44 Prince

I like the idea of forts acting a bit like colonies.
    So I'll do you one even better. How about Forts can be occupied by citizens? For most civs the fort has to be in a citiy's cultural limit (perhaps even the cultural limit before it was nerfed in DoC) but Russia can (also) send them to work in forts in their historical and contested area.

Citizens at work in those forts might not only produce culture but also upgrade the fort over time.

Or perhaps a more general mechanism can be implemented where the occupation of forts to act as colonies can be tied to a certain civic (so the Greeks and Phoenicians, also famous for their colonization, can also have acces to it)

2. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Answers:

1. Basically you pay your troops out of pocket so they are on their best behavior and don't loot the place. It significantly reduces the time the city is in unrest, in my experience almost always to only one turn when otherwise it would be four or more. Since a city's population decreases each turn of unrest and IIRC there's also a chance of buildings getting destroyed during it, you can basically pay money to minimize damage to the civilian population and infrastructure.

2. Normal and I believe Regent.

3. The old Rhye's mercenaries mechanic has been completely removed. There is a civic that enables rushbuying military units, either Republic or Citizenship, don't remember. If you're not playing Phoenicia, these units cost extra gold upkeep and can not be upgraded.

4. :dunno:

5. Yes, it's usually a good idea to trade techs, unless you trade away a tech that allows another civ to compete with you for something you want. For example if you are playing France and going for the Unique Historical Victory I wouldn't advise you to trade away the tech that unlocks building Notre Dame to another Catholic civilization before you have completed it yourself.

Theophilos likes this.
  3. civcivcivcivciv

civcivcivcivciv Warlord

please add korean artist bong joon ho

4. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

There is a "DoC Maps" button in the WorldBuilder. Click on that, and then on "Religion values".

Theophilos likes this.
  5. civcivcivcivciv

civcivcivcivciv Warlord

i have a bug written by red words

detected a bug, please report latest autosave in the ~~ forums player rome culture 6 and sum of any culture 10 do not match

Attached Files:

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

So. Where is the autosave?

iMuffin likes this.
  7. civcivcivcivciv

civcivcivcivciv Warlord

here

Attached Files:

1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  8. Theophilos

Theophilos Chieftain

thank you both for your replies!

I have one more question:

Does founding a city on a resource give any bonus (some mods make it so it is as if you built the upgrade on the resource), and/or does it give you that resource

9. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

Only if the city was built on a small island (4 or 5 tiles big at most I think?).
    Yes.

Theophilos likes this.
  10. Vectors

Vectors Prince

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but, um, like 1914 seems a bit premature for global warming. Maybe it isn't properly scaled for Marathon speed? Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

Leoreth likes this.
  11. Theophilos

Theophilos Chieftain

Another random question:

What determines where Orthodoxy is founded? I am playing Egypt and I took Jerusalem, and later Orthodoxy was founded in Babylon under the Persians. They didn't research the technology for this

There is no city at constantinople/byzantium

Is it always random where it is founded? or is it there because there is no city at byzantium

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

It's not entirely random. Cities with Judaism present are preferred.

Rodnok and Theophilos like this.
  13. Theophilos

Theophilos Chieftain

With the "slave" unit, as egypt an african native impi came up and I enslaved it

but it cannot join any city, nor can it upgrade any plantation.

Is this only for later periods or could it be bugged?

14. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

They can only be used in colonies.

15. civcivcivcivciv

civcivcivcivciv Warlord

about my autosave file, after play 1~2 turns the game was shut down.

16. Force44

Force44 Prince

I'm curious what civs receive what amount of tech bonus (malus?) ?
    And are there some kind of turn or era restrictions?

17. Force44

Force44 Prince

About wonders.

I thought about adding this post to previous topics about wonders but I found out that the thread I was thinking about was last posted to in 2018 (arguably 2016) so I decided against that.
    I have two pointers:

1) underwhelming wonders

The wonders The Bourse and (even more significantly) The Crystal Palace feel weak in comparison to similar wonders (Versailles and The Louvre)

Perhaps The Bourse could give an additional bonus to Merchants (and great Merchants). I was thinking about +1:hammers: per merchant in addition to its two free Merchants to simulate the increased productivity caused by rampant capitalism.
    Similarly The Crystal Palace could receive +1:commerce: for every engeneer in addition to its two free engeneers.

2) discovered a potential new (national) wonder.

Playing around with my Romanized Dutch aiming to conquer space. I stumbled upon some great wonders I never heard of before (or, more probably, have forgotten about)

I read a little about Las Lajas Cathedral (Las Lajas Sanctuary ingame) and The Salt Cathedral. On Wikipedia there was a link to the Wieliczka and Bochnia saltmines (near Krakau, first mentioned in 1044 AD and operational until 1992 AD). They were added to the world heritage list upon its (the list its) conception in 1978. I just did some reading (checking) on the forum regarding wonders (oh boy does time fly, that discussion was held between 2016 and 2018 AD) and somehow this wonder slipped through the cracks and was never even discussed. During the thirteenth century the revenue of the saltmines accounted for 1/3 of the total Polish royal treasury (this was before the establishment of the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569 AD) though)

(Royal) Saltmines: effect +1:commerce: on every landtile (requires mountain in the city's BFC) or alternatively +50%:gold:

It might be hard to prevent classical civilizations from building it before Poland has a fighting chance to do so.

18. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

I don't know how the Crystal Palace is weak. It gives 2 free engineers, which massively aid in generating Great Engineers, which themselves can hurry Wonders.

Rodnok, Publicola and Imp. Knoedel like this.
  19. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

What does this temporary culture conversion mean? I don't quite understand the last update.

20. Force44

Force44 Prince

I guess that is why I think it is the weakest of the four (five with the great lib) wonders that give two free scientists. The others turn hammers into something other than hammers. The Crystal palace comes quite some advances later (so less time for return) and turns a big chunk of hammers into hammers.

The hammers two engeneers give are comparable to one great engeneer. Which itself is comparable to one productive tile. This is nice but, especially late in the game, nothing to write home about.

Every Great person is more expensive than the previous one so it takes quite a long time for two engeneers to generate an additional great person you can use to help rush a wonder (you hypothetically could have built with the great engeneer you used to rush the crystal palace itself) So it does not massively help with generating great engeneers. In the best scenario it tilts the scale to quickly generate a great engeneer.

If it is designed to drastically increase the amount of great engeneers to rush other wonders then I think the ability to use other great people than engeneers to rush buildings (for lets say two thirds the amount a great engeneer would contribute) would be a nice boost to the abilities of the crystal palace.