1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Salt Cathedral is the Wieliczka salt mine, the name in particular referring to the cathedral found within the mine itself. I have chosen that name because it's the most "wondrous" aspect of the mine and more succinctly invokes what is special about it than just "[place name] salt mine". Secondly, I am trying to avoid using direct locality names in wonder names because a wonder can conceivably be built anywhere, so using a specific Polish town to describe it can quickly become nonsensical.

As you know, when a civilisation spawns or respawns, or when a city is conquered, some amount of the surrounding culture is converted to the new owner. In the past, this happened by just taking away culture from the old owner and giving it to the old owner, permanently. There were some problems with this though, when a city changes hands frequently it would introduce residual flipped culture from the previous owner that didn't make sense, it could override cultural control of a tile owned by civ C, and the amount of culture from the previous owner was lost forever and couldn't be used for other purposes even though that might have been interesting.

Late in 1.16, I changed this so culture conversion is not permanent. For example, if Greece has 100 culture on a tile and Rome 50, and Rome converts 50% of the Greek culture to Roman culture, before the outcome would have been that Greece has 50 culture and Rome has 100. Now, the game still knows that Greece has 100 culture but 50% of that culture are temporarily transferred to Rome. In practice, this has the same outcome of 50 effective Greek culture and 100 effective Roman culture. But now I can dial back the Roman conversion rate to 0% to restore the old situation easily (e.g. Independents conquer the city nearby).

I call this "temporary culture conversion". Another neat factor now is that this conversion decays naturally over time, so if you do not start producing your own culture in conquered cities you cannot rely on the converted culture alone.

In the context of those recent commits, there were a few small errors in the implementation of this feature that impacted how cultural growth was calculated. Also, the new rules do not perfectly interact with the pre-existing rules yet, and I also fixed a few of those cases.

Crimean Lord, Imp. Knoedel and 1SDAN like this.
  2. Theophilos

Theophilos Warlord

Hello, which tech allows longboats to go over ocean tiles?

I got compass (and the civilopedia page says it requires compass), but it still doesn't let me go over ocean tiles

3. Force44

Force44 Prince

:lol:
    Reality agrees with you!

literal translation, by google translate, of part of the duch wikipediapage about Las Lajas Basilica
    (Santuario de Las Lajas):

Crimean Lord and mateyson like this.
  4. Theophilos

Theophilos Warlord

Can anyone explain the House of Wisdom wonder to me?

It states +200% beaker from great people discoveries

Does this mean if you settle a great scientist he would give, +18 beakers per turn? or does it only mean that if you hit "discover new technologies" it will make it discover more science?

Tooltip says on great person technology discovery often "will discover x and y" but sometimes it only does partial discovery (fully x and part of y).

I just don't understand, does the house of wisdom cause the discovery to do 6 technologies then? I would just like someone to help explain the wonder of this wonder

I had a great scientist have a bulb option the turn before completion, and a turn after completion, and regardless of which turn I did the bulb it did not change anything. Also, my theory of it giving extra beakers if settled great person is not true. So what does it actually do? can someone explain to me how to use it properly?

It makes me miss the Sword of Islam mod one, it just gave you two settled great scientists,very simple! lol

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  5. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Great Discoveries can only discover 2 Technologies at most. The House of Wisdom's effect is such that, if you were to normally fully discover x and part of y, you'd discover both instead.

Crimean Lord and Theophilos like this.
  6. Theophilos

Theophilos Warlord

Is there a way to know if it will not fully discover the second technology?

Maybe I did not notice an indication, but the times it did say it would discover x and y but only did y partially, I didn't see any text change indicating this would happen

Thanks for the reply!

7. Force44

Force44 Prince

As far as I know great scientists give a fixed (but probably dependent on era) amount of science. If this amount is sufficient for 1 for technology you will then receive 1 technology. If the amount of given bulbs suffices for two or more technologies you will receive two technologies. Any progress you already made on the technologies given is added to the amount of bulbs 'burning' the great scientist yields.

The amount of science 'burning' a great scientist yields triples when you own the unobsolete House of Wisdom.

If the two advances you are trying to bulb by 'burning' a great scientist, when owning the House of Wisdom in working order, exceed three times the amount 'burning' a great scientis would yield you, without owning a working House of Wisdom, you will receive only part of the progress towards those two advances. (Perhaps you will not even receive one complete advance for free, but fortunately this is not the case as far as I am aware)

Theophilos likes this.
  8. LukeAtmey

LukeAtmey Chieftain

Anyone want to suggest me some fun or challenging alternate history goals or playthrough ideas? Some of the very obvious alt history scenarios such as Germany wins WW2, USA vs USSR and Rome repelling the Barbarian invasions I've already done, but any new ideas would be welcome! Lately I've been doing mostly UHV or just some generic game trying to win a space race or points victory with a 3000BC civilization so the alt history playthrough could be fun I think.

9. Leoreth

10. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

The fact that this mod starts at 5000 BC (or whenever?), ignoring this rich treasure trove of ancient history, is clearly a subconscious Eurocentric bias of Leoreth, whom I have no doubt will soon correct this xenophobic flaw and include the world's true history as documented here.

11. Leoreth

oh this definitely happened it just wasn't relevant to Harry's story

12. Theophilos

Theophilos Warlord

The Thai 2nd UHV states to make ayutthaya the most populous city.

You are given a settler but the only two places named that is a quarry of stone, and a plantation of sugar.

Are you forced to settle on top of one of these (and destroying their benefit) in order to complete this UHV or is there other ways to complete?

13. Orbii

Orbii Warlord

I believe you must settle on the starting Sugar plot, which honestly isn't that terrible all things considered. You still get +1F at least on the plot, and maybe +1C as well?

Theophilos likes this.
  14. Theophilos

Theophilos Warlord

Some guides say to limit the amount of cities in your core, saying too many would be detrimental to your stability

But from what I understand, wouldn't more population in the core mean much higher leverage for how much population is outside ones core? Why would you not want to max out the possible population of your core if wanting to have a wider empire?

Why would having more cities in your core be detrimental, except for the possibility of taking up a food plot or a town plot?

15. Orbii

Orbii Warlord

There's a multiplier to core population if you have only one city in your core (unsure as to the amount of that multiplier), so for civs like Thailand and Argentina, where your capital can work most of your core, and additional cities would be small, it's best to settle only one core city. For cities with larger cores, it is correct to spam as many core cities as possible, particularly near the edges so they can work tiles outside the core.

Theophilos likes this.
  16. Theophilos

Theophilos Warlord

Ok, thanks for the reply! Although, the time I saw it recommended, they said 3 is better than 4 (or maybe it was 4 is better than 5, I don't remember where I read it) but maybe I am misremembering.

but I will keep your advice in mind, that helps a lot I think I understand it now

17. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

If you have one city in your core, your core city population value is doubled for stability purposes.

Crimean Lord and Theophilos like this.
  18. CaterpillarKing

CaterpillarKing Conqueror of Cacoons

Geez, it's been years since I've looked on this forum at all, and even longer since I've said anything. I'm glad to see this modmod is still alive and well, because it has always been my favorite part of Civ 4. Keep up the good work Leoreth.

trevor, Leoreth and merijn_v1 like this.
  19. Leoreth

Thanks. Comments like this are what keeps me going.

20. Theophilos

Theophilos Warlord

EDIT: IGNORE THIS POST. The answer I found here:

They are playable in the 600 AD scenario, but due to civ slot issues they can only be played if you start as Congo, wait 10 or so turns, and accept the civ switch dialogue.

This exact same issue exists with Mexico and Colombia in the 1700 AD scenario.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While playing Mughals I saw the Iranians pop up

I looked at the civilpoedia page for the leader, and then the iranians, and thought it looked interesting to play

But when I went to 600 AD scenario, there is no such country to play as. The 1700 scenario has the Iranians, but I don't see the point playing that one because their first UHV has an end date of 1650....

Is my game bugged or is the Iranians just not implimented in the 600 AD scenario? How does one play them from their start?