1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. hnrysml

hnrysml Warlord

If anyone is interested in the history of Indonesia I have recently been enjoying articles from this blog: https://medium.com/@siwaratrikalpa
    Mostly just posting because I know there are people in the forum who love to read about this kind of content The most recent one is about the consumption of tea in Indonesia in the Middle Ages, so I guess the articles could be a useful alternative to Wikipedia for finding sources for in-game things like resource spawns.

2. Force44

Force44 Prince

With the progress of the new map coming along I am curious. What will happen with the old map? A lot of effort went into it, and personally I like it.

DarkLunaPhantom and Leoreth like this.
  3. Theophilos

Theophilos Warlord

Hello, what causes leaders to change anyway?

I am just wondering because when I played russia into 1970s, there was still no mussilini in italy, and no hitler anywhere, no franco, and yeah.

Does it depend on the civics? maybe a technology unlock?

4. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

A mix of both. Mussolini, Hitler and Franco all require their respective countries to have adopted Totalitarianism without Central Planning I think.

5. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Some leaders, like those you mentioned, depend on civics.

6. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

I'd like to suggest changing the Inca and Indonesian UHVs.

Inca: I'm still figuring it out but the 2500 gold in 1550 is pretty difficult. One has to build a Great Merchant and it's luck-dependent if the Aztecs are still alive when you reach them. Either Law or Currency should be available at start.

Indonesia: Oof... The 1rst requirement is really difficult if doable, Prambanan is not buildable despite that being the historically accurate thing as Hinduism doesn't make it to your islands most of the time and Borobudur is pretty irrelevant to it. And let's talk about my favorite part: The 3rd UHV takes forever.

My suggestions:
    -Make Prambanan buildable by changing either its requirements to have either Buddhism or including Hinduism or having Hinduism at Sumatra.
    -Borobudur should have a population bonus, like +1 food per religious building.
    -3rd UHV should be something not beyond 1800 AD, like the 8% of the population or the highest city average while controlling all of the Malay archipelago.

Crimean Lord and Cacaso like this.
  7. RichyC78

RichyC78 Chieftain

Hello all, I couldn't see an existing thread on constructing buildings. Apologies if there's one already.

What tactic do people use for buildings? When I play, I like my cities to have forges, markets, libraries etc, but unless I use the Despot civic and rush build it would take an age to build up an infrastructure. Im just wondering what other people do. Its a long gap from despotism to public welfare.

Zaddy, Cacaso and Leoreth like this.
  8. Zaddy

Zaddy Warlord

This is what I do. Honestly I kinda feel forced to use Despotism until factories come online and things can be built in a more timely fashion. I don't really think Despotism is overpowered, but it takes aeons to get good infrastructure in place without it.

9. Cacaso

Cacaso Chieftain

The strategic use of depotism is really very important to speed up the production of buildings, especially when the population of cities is small, which guarantees the excess of happiness necessary to cover the unhappiness generated by the rush.

however, planning to use the unit settler's refound function is also essential, especially when the Renaissance era arrives because you can win the granary, forge, harbor, aqueduct, library and smokehouse buildings all for the cost of producing a single settler, depending on the situation it is preferable to build other buidings and wait for Renaissance (this is especially useful in the city Ponta Delgada, when playing with Portugal). there are other eras with free constructions too but they are weaker and take longer.

Civics can also help, some circumstantially like Citizenship, regulated trade, constitution and monarchy, and some more broadly like clergy.

this is what can be influenced, the rest depends on the city's production potential, but prior planning helps to take advantage of opportunities and avoid waste.

Imp. Knoedel and Zaddy like this.
  10. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Does unhappiness in the stability counter come from all unhappiness, or from having cities be unhappy?

11. Leoreth

Neither really. A city does not need to be unhappy to contribute to your unhappiness stability, because temporary unhappiness from e.g. hurrying with population counts even if the city is overall happy. However cities that count as unhappy in this way can still be countered by other overall happy cities. There's a more in depth explanation in the Concepts section of the civilopedia.

BaneFire likes this.
  12. bluepotato

bluepotato Warlord

Higher difficulty levels mean higher costs/penalties for the human player, and lower costs/more bonuses for the AI (also more barbs). As for the AI being more aggressive, there seems to be a higher chance of them declaring war on you on higher levels but that's all I know of.
    EDIT: Sorry, I've just checked and apparently that isn't true; while the iAIDeclareWarProb XML tag is higher on some difficulties, they're all above 100 (120/140/140/160/160), and since the game selects a random number between 0-100 to compare to this tag, the result is the same in all cases.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  13. Leoreth

Difficulty levels do not affect the AI at all, it's all in the better modifiers the AI receives.

14. TJDowling

TJDowling King

Does anyone else find that gifting weaker civs a few dozen techs is a good way to make them collapse? I guess because their civics become outdated if they advance to far?

15. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Also, gaining a tech triggers a stability check. Not sure if you can trigger multiple stability checks by spamming tech gifts.

16. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

You can't. A civ can only have 1 stability check each turn.

1SDAN likes this.
  17. DiMarzio

DiMarzio Chieftain

What is that? You get buildings free if you plant another settler on a city?

18. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Yes

19. Orbii

Orbii Warlord

Specifically, you consume the Settler and get all the buildings in the target city that a newly built city would receive for the era.

1SDAN likes this.
  20. Cacaso

Cacaso Chieftain

Medieval (granary), Renaissance (harbor, smokehouse, forge, library, aqueduct), Industrial (lighthouse, market), Global and digital (I don't remember which) are the constructions that a settler can create in an existing city if you use the refound function. The idea is for you to build other things and earn as many "free" buildings with the settler. Renaissance is best used for the number of buildings.

EmperorNorton and 1SDAN like this.