1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. phoenixfire7

phoenixfire7 Chieftain

How good is the automate worker function? The late game especially can start to feel boring like you're just moving workers around but I'm not sure whether I want to use the automate function as I'm worried that the workers won't do make the right improvement.

2. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Warlord

I think we should add a new unit called, Trench Infantry. Which was in the middle of Rifleman and Infantry.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Those two units are literally two columns apart right now.

1SDAN likes this.
  4. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Obviously we need a new unit in every column.

trevor likes this.
  5. phoenixfire7

phoenixfire7 Chieftain

It's even technically possible to get the infantry tech before the rifleman tech

BaneFire, 1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  6. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Rename current Infantry to Trench Infantry (but with a better name), turn the Marine into the new Infantry.

1860-1914: Rifleman
    1914-1947: Trench Infantry (but with a better name)
    1947+: Infantry

There wasn't that much of a difference between late World War I and early World War II Infantry imo. What is really needed is representation of widespread use of fully automatic assault rifles like the AK-47.

Krieger-FS and 1SDAN like this.
  7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

What if the better name for Trench Infantry.... was "Infantry"

8. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

So Rifleman upgrades to Infantry which upgrades to Infantry

Enyavar likes this.
  9. Enyavar

Enyavar Prince

"Trench infantry" assumes that these are soldiers to be sacrificed in mass-wars outside of cities. You know, like in trenches, which only applies to a very certain war that doesn't occur in most of my playthroughs.
    Sound Civ strategies always centers around overwhelming your enemy with an overwhelming stack of doom. I tech up and "blitzkrieg" against my foes, there is rarely a protracted war, aside from the occasional siege of a city. If the other side has a doom-stack of their own, and tech-parity, then I'm a fool to wage war against them - basic strategy is to lure the AI into attack my city (which inevitably fails) and then re-attack their weakened forces in their own cities.
    Or, just be technologically OP so that their spearmen hold no chances to my tanks (hyperbole, here).

What I'm saying is that real warfare (ancient or modern) is poorly reflected by Civ, in any case, and I don't really see a need to distinguish between these various types of infantry. Let's say two AIs are fighting on tech-parity: If one side has regularly fought wars, they have more experienced units and have better chances to win. If one side has more production, they produce two instead of one unit, and have better chances to win.

Inventing new, more detailed units that are too closely tied to real-world developments, makes little sense (imo). If World War X happens in my game with Modern Rome+England+Prussia vs. Modern Iran+Turkey+Russia, duking it out in the mid-east throughout the 18th century with Musketeers+Riflemen (instead of Infantry in the 20th); and afterwards there are centuries of unbroken peace for the world powers, a distinction between "earlier" and "later" Infantry in the 20th century makes less sense. I find the current tech tree okay enough.

(Edit: Ninja'd. Leoreth's answer was short and snappy. Damn my own need to write essays.)

All that said: If you find a way to add some kind of "equipment" bonus to your troops, that would be awesome. Like, you have some national-wonder-like building like an "assault rifle factory" that gives all your gunpowder units a +25% bonus against the enemy. Or a raffinery-wonder that produces better fuel and all your tanks+planes+ships get a movement bonus.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    1SDAN likes this.
  10. Imp. Knoedel

Okay but what do we name the new Infantry unit with Assault Rifles then?

11. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

I guess this is much the same question as 'what do we name infantry with flintlock muskets, and what do we name infantry with matchlock muskets', regarding the scope of the game.

1SDAN and trevor like this.
  12. Imp. Knoedel

Musketeer and Arquebusier respectively.

Krieger-FS, need my speed and 1SDAN like this.
  13. trevor

trevor Warlord

Is there a real need though for a unit in between Rifleman & Mechanized Infantry? Which is the bigger post-WW2 technological revolution: assault rifles or infantry fighting vehicles? Wouldn't the speed & strength increases of the latter unit over former also represent both advances?

14. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Assault Rifle Infantry ;)

1SDAN likes this.
  15. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

I think you're all overthinking this. Riflemen, Infantry, Modern Infantry, Mechanized Infantry.

16. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

What is the condition for Alp Arslan´s and Tamerlane's switches? I've seen the Turkic switch back and forth in a single game.

montezuma1991 and BaneFire like this.
  17. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I have an even simpler idea: Riflemen, Infantry, Mechanized Infantry.

18. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

How recently are we talking about. How many turns after they can?

19. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

10 turns, scaled with gamespeed.

Tigranes likes this.
  20. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

What determines whether a religion replaces a pagan temple?
    I built a bunch in my Chinese cities before I then spread Confucianism in them, then converted to save hammers, but they all got disappeared instead of being kept which was kind of depressing.