1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

Would it make more sense if GP names were determined by majority culture of the city they appear in, instead of the owner?

2. Leoreth

Sorry for missing your question earlier, I think it got lost by the page break. To answer the first question, no there isn't. For the second, you should be able to reset the already switched variable in world builder.

Alexandre92 likes this.
  3. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Warlord

I like that idea. Adds some fun flavour to multi-ethnic empires and reflects the fact that conquest does not equal instant culture conversion/replacement.

4. Steb

Steb King

Yeah, it really would. There might be some weird edge cases, and maybe it would be worth adjusting some name lists (e.g. remove Persian names from the Arab list? These Persian GP would have to be born in Arab-controlled Persia), but I think it's a good idea. Though does culture disappear if a civ collapses? That may be a limitation.

It could even be more elaborate if you want: mix names of majority culture and owner, or sample from the names in proportion to the culture mix in the city.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  5. Leoreth

No, culture sticks around after collapse.

Steb likes this.
  6. Malchar

Malchar Prince

Can the GP cultural names be weighted proportionally to match the culture distribution of the city?

phoenixfire7 likes this.
  7. Leoreth

It shouldn't be hard to draw the civ of origin with weighted probability according to the culture present. I don't know if that's desirable though. Some culture bleeds over at any border, and I don't know how much verisimilitude you would get from having a German GP born in France due to those 4%. Majority culture is more aimed at the likeliest situation of "you have conquered this civilisation but not integrated it into yours yet".

8. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

How do I update DOC? Should I reinstall it?

9. Leoreth

Why do you want to update? How did you originally install the mod?

10. TJDowling

TJDowling King

Hello fellow DoC fanatics,

I'm not going to burden you with a new thread for this but I wanted to share for whoever notices and whoever cares (likely very few). Though this may not be an airport, I've decided to announce my departure. I'm leaving for a number of reasons which I won't go into great detail about but some of you can probably suspect. To be honest, I don't feel that I have much to contribute to the community right now (if I ever did lol). And honestly I've been playing DoC too much lately and when I'm on here I'm playing more than usual. For this and other reasons, I've decided to step back indefinitely. I'll probably come check in on progress from time to time but I won't be contributing to discussion. It's kind of stupid to announce all this but I do kind of like some of you and I've got a flair for the dramatic so I thought I'd just say a little farewell.

Until next time,
    TJDowling

11. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

It's just that I saw you posted an update pretty recently and I was wondering how to update it?

12. Leoreth

How did you originally install the mod?

13. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

I simply downloaded the exe file and launched the game.

14. Leoreth

So, the installer? The ongoing updates are only for the git version of the game (until a new installer is released). Refer to the Welcome to DoC thread for instructions on getting access to the git repository.

Crimean Lord and Louis the XIV like this.
  15. Gritzeldrei

Gritzeldrei Chieftain

When an ai civ goes to unstable-collapsing stability why do they lose some cities (none core) while I a human player will lose loterally everytjing? This wasnt the case in the original RFC where it will "roleplay" that your empire is in civil war.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  16. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Because Leoreth hates fun. You know how those Germans are.

17. Leoreth

Because the AI doesn't understand expansion stability and is unable to anticipate it.

18. Gritzeldrei

Gritzeldrei Chieftain

I just read that the crisis system was removed. Why was it removed?? Was it not working?

19. black213

black213 Emperor

In the 600 AD scenario Korea begins with no pre-founded cities or infrastructure. Why is that so? Same could be asked about Japan as well.

20. Leoreth

I found it was too punishing. It was just another set of penalties to annoy you on the way down until you eventually collapse, or something you have to deal with even if you avoid collapse.