1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

What do you mean by "installed"?

2. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Why are some of the leaders not showing in historically accurate times?
    For example many games have passed in which I passed 1990 and Franco, Hitler, Benito Mussolini, Henry Gerhardsen, Ruhollah Musavi Khomeini, Klemens Pilsudski, and Lech Walesa have NEVER showed up! I thought that maybe for the WW II leaders to be triggered a global war must occur during the years of 1900 and up but I played with Argentina and a global war triggered (literally ever civ was at war) in 1950 and Bismarck, Cavour and some other old style leaders where still the leaders!
    Could someone make me see thing more clearly as to why these leaders show up in the Civilopedia but not in the game?

3. urbestfriend

urbestfriend Chieftain

Leaders are usually picked based on a civ's civics choices. For example Hitler only shows up when Germany adopts fascist civics.

4. Order666

Order666 Chieftain

I mean I downloaded the GITs but I don't know how to use them xD
    I literally have no idea what to do with them. What I'm asking for is guidance becase I want to apply all updates to the base 1.16 DOC

5. Leoreth

What does it mean when you say "you downloaded the GITs"? What did you download, and how?

This post has a step by step guide for how to setup und update a git repository.

6. Gritzeldrei

Gritzeldrei Chieftain

While looking at the latest GIT update I saw that you "enabled" fractional trade. What does the fractional trade do in trading?

Hickman888 likes this.
  7. Leoreth

It's something introduced by BUG that I already thought was active. Basically it means that trade income is computed and handled as fractions of a whole commerce. For example, if you have two trade routes of 2 commerce and a +50% trade income modifier, without fractrade you would have a total income of floor(2.5) + floor(2.5) = 2 + 2 = 4 and with fractrade you have 2.5 + 2.5 = 5 commerce.

8. Order666

Order666 Chieftain

Okay I follow all the steps and they were easy but this is what error I get:

git.exe clone --progress -v "https://github.com/dguenms/Dawn-of-Civilization." "C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization."
    fatal: destination path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization.' already exists and is not an empty directory.

9. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

You probably still your old version of DoC in the mods folder. Delete the DoC folder and redo the clone.

Leoreth likes this.
  10. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Prince

Any tips on how to do Prussia's UHV? Like micromanagement, conquest and stuff.

I used to be good at that but after months I forgot how to.

11. Rodnok

Rodnok Prince

I know I am replying to an old post, but: you can also produce a great prophet quickly, using the Ethiopia special building, which allows you to employ 2 priests, IIRC. Then he can spread the religion himself, it's his special action. Ethiopia belongs to Orthodoxy area, so he will spread Orthodoxy there.

This UHV is hard at higher difficulties (Emperor+), when it's mostly impossible to produce prophet quickly enough and then it's a matter of luck, really. Sometimes these 5 turns pass before you start :).

1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  12. Hickman888

Hickman888 Warlord

So I recently finished the Russian historical victory (Monarch/Marathon) with the most recent espionage XP changes patched in, and just wanted to share my experience/two cents, as this is probably the most :espionage: focused civilization this mod has to offer.

Over the course of the game, I used my espionage to steal roughly 15 technologies, and also did the occasional other spy mission as well, such as spreading :mad: or :culture: to other cities. I always had my spy wait 5 turns before performing their mission, to lessen the :espionage: cost. Leoreth informed me that doing so also increases the chance of success of the mission, which, similar to combat XP, also lessens the XP potential of the action.
    I only received XP whenever I stole a technology, and even then, it was usually only 1 XP, with the occasional 0 or 2 XP instead. Slowly and steadily, I was able to earn a Great Spy, without researching Psychology! However, by the time I finished the game, I was still 13 XP off from my second Great Spy.

Given the amount of jails and constabularies Russia ends up building, their :espionage:-domination begins early and only grows from there, as they begin running more statesmen and adopt State Party, among other things. In my own opinion, given the amount of missions I performed and :espionage: points I was spending, I should've received several more Great Spies over the course of my game, maybe 4-6 total? I think that, similar to combat, every spy mission should reward at least 1 XP, with that XP potential rising with the chances for being caught and the :espionage: points being spent.

For many civilizations, the cost of dumping their resources into statesmen, spies and constabularies usually isn't worth it. But if gaining espionage XP and Great Spies becomes that much more accessible to the average civilization, the player might be tempted to engage in it more, even when not playing an espionage-civilization such as Russia.

Also, an idea to give Isolationism a buff: +100% XP gained from espionage missions. Might push certain closed-society-civilizations to focusing more of their resources on espionage!

RichyC78, Crimean Lord, Steb and 4 others like this.
  13. Lost King

Lost King Chieftain

Forgive me if this information is readily available without too much code diving, but I've recently returned to DoC and I've been wondering about maximizing commerce / research, specifically in terms of number of cities. So I know each Civ has a (constant?) tech rate multiplier for the sake of balance. Beyond that I've read somewhere that there's an innate tech penalty received above X number of cities, but these were all old posts on old threads, so I don't know if there's any truth to that. Beyond that there's city maintenance for running extra cities, which is fairly transparent, and civic maintenance which seems fairly opaque. Is civic maintenance linear with number of cities? Or super-linear? There's also tech diffusion but I think that's independent of tech rate and only dependent on how far ahead you are.

Anyway any help here would be appreciated (even if you just point me to where in the code this information lives). I'm not a particularly good vanilla Civ player, and RFC makes changes to a lot of fundamental systems, so I don't want to extrapolate off strategy guides for 2006 lol. Thanks!

1SDAN likes this.
  14. Leoreth

Understandable question. I don't want to make this too transparent, but let me explain what is going on right now.

First of all, research modifiers are cost modifiers, not research rate modifiers. There are the following modifiers:
    • By civilisation: specific to a civilisation, mostly constant. China and Japan have some changes over time to reflect their historical development.
    • Small empires under five cities receive a cost reduction that scales with the current era, beginning in the Middle Ages.
    • During autoplay, the tech leader receives a research cost penalty (should not affect your planning)
    • If the player is in the 25% most advanced civilisations, they receive a cost penalty that scales with current era (tech diffusion)
    • If anyone is in the 25% least advanced civilisations, they receive a cost reduction that scales with current era (tech diffusion)
    • Japan's research costs are modified by its unique power
    That's it. Usually, the only one that should affect your planning is the fourth one. There are no penalties for exceeding city or population limits. Also, the technology tooltip should show a breakdown of the factors that affect its cost, except modifiers that are innate to your civilisation. There is no tech diffusion beyond the effect labeled as such above, so there is no research being granted or anything.

Civic maintenance is unchanged from the base game. It scales linearly with number of cities and population, so gaining a city leads to superlinear growth because they increase simultaneously.

15. h0spitall3rz

h0spitall3rz Grand Vizier of Your Mind

Is it really intended for the human player to have a higher tech cost modifier than the AI, even on Regent difficulty? Even when compared to other civs with a more or less equal tech cost modifier.

16. Cacaso

Cacaso Chieftain

How can I change the CIV4.exe icon that appears on the taskbar?

17. Leoreth

What do you mean? Base research cost is s exactly the same on Regent.

18. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

I think creating a shortcut, then changing the shortcut icon and dragging the shortcut to the taskbar would work

19. Gritzeldrei

Gritzeldrei Chieftain

Hello again.

Every time I install the latest version of DOC, all of the replays will be wiped out. Is there a way to keep them? I was able to get at least 8 Historical Victories and 1 Time Victories in this version and I want to keep them as my treasures.

20. Leoreth

I don't know why they would be gone, they are kept in a different location than the mod itself.