Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Yes I am currently also seeing that. Although in all the games that I have actually played their collapse was fairly historical. I'll have an eye on it.

made it harder for most instances of a corporation to be present in the same civilisation

I cannot understand this sentence.

I cannot understand this sentence.

If a company is already present in a number of your cities (this number depends on the company, each company has its own values), then spreading it to another city of you become harder.

Example: The Trading Company will spread to 3 of your cities without a difficulty penalty. But spreading it to more cities in your empire is more difficult.

If a company is already present in a number of your cities (this number depends on the company, each company has its own values), then spreading it to another city of you become harder.

Example: The Trading Company will spread to 3 of your cities without a difficulty penalty. But spreading it to more cities in your empire is more difficult.

Oh thank you...Was it done because human player was getting to much yields while hoarding resources?

Yes, and in general because it is easier for human players to secure corporations without even that much effort.

Were the events that were disabled for this mod mod?

Can this mod be used to teach people about history? Not to the point where it used in History class but like to point where you can show how that particular event occurred? It seems that many of my peers have a great distaste for history for they think that is boring and not useful for today's problems. I want to use this mod to explain about history to them, maybe they may show some interest or something. (Like how this mod gave me even more interest)

I think the best thing this mod can do is provide starting points for a wiki walk, like the awareness that a thing even exists and that you can then look further into. It's a bit different for me, but from the creator end I have looked into a lot of different things that I would have never explored in that depth otherwise. It definitely gives a broader perspective.

I think that is a major deficit in how history is taught in schools. Even if it's taught well, it's usually a set of predefined topics and categories that are chosen for their relevance to your national history. There isn't much done to teach a broad view of history and the interdependence and correlation of different events and trends and I think games like DoC are very good at that part.

It's always so funny when I share some really obscure knowledge with people I know. Like for most remotely significant cities in the world I have a pretty good idea where they are located because of RFC city name maps but try working your way backwards to why you know that information with a person who doesn't know what Civilization or a mod are, just because you know Myitkyina is in Upper Burma

I think the best thing this mod can do is provide starting points for a wiki walk, like the awareness that a thing even exists and that you can then look further into. It's a bit different for me, but from the creator end I have looked into a lot of different things that I would have never explored in that depth otherwise. It definitely gives a broader perspective.

I think that is a major deficit in how history is taught in schools. Even if it's taught well, it's usually a set of predefined topics and categories that are chosen for their relevance to your national history. There isn't much done to teach a broad view of history and the interdependence and correlation of different events and trends and I think games like DoC are very good at that part.
This. It's very rare to get a view of history that manages to capture even a fraction of both its dimensions—time (depth) and space (breadth). There's just way too much data.

Most commonly, discussions of history are neither deep nor broad, because they focus on a specific event, war, etc. E.g. if you're discussing the American Civil War, you're discussing a few years (1861-1865) in just one part of the world (the US). You'll draw some data from years before and after that, and from other places to the extent that they're relevant, but that's it. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. But you're focussing on a tiny detail of the whole painting.

Then there is discussion focussed on a deep view. E.g. the History of France from Antiquity to Today. You get a nice narrative that interweaves lots of historical events across the entire timeline of France, but events in the rest of the world are largely ignored if they're not directly relevant to the narrative.

More rarely, we have the broad view. E.g. the state of the world in 1914, on the eve of WWI. This can be nicely represented on a world map. It's a snapshot. Good for visualization, but good luck building a narrative out of that.

Explicit attempts to represent history in both dimensions are much rarer, because they're really hard to do. Sometimes we get static 2D representations such as in this post or this image:
Spoiler :

But they often feel incomplete—and they're hard to parse. Then you have dynamic, interactive representations. E.g. interactives atlases that allow you to see a world map for each year. Or games, such as DoC—which have the added benefit of being fun, so they draw you in more than most other ways of studying history, at the cost of some accuracy.

I was actually thinking about that horizontal history article while writing the post. I think about it a lot in relation to history.

I think the problem is the popular perception of history, its divided into discrete 'blocks' with definitive, dates, facts and jargon, as opposed to a more broader view of entire societies coexisting and interacting, I, to this day still find sino-roman relations the most fascinating thing in history, they were two superpowers on the opposite ends of a continent that couldn't have been much more different yet they were both aware of each other and even sent embassies, the most staggering thing is that the first emperor of the Ming dynasty held Rome in such high regard that he sent an embassy to the Byzantine court in the 14th century to inform the emperor in the west of China's reunification. You simply don't get to know things like that from studying history from the 'mainstream' perception.

I think the problem is the popular perception of history, its divided into discrete 'blocks' with definitive, dates, facts and jargon, as opposed to a more broader view of entire societies coexisting and interacting, I, to this day still find sino-roman relations the most fascinating thing in history, they were two superpowers on the opposite ends of a continent that couldn't have been much more different yet they were both aware of each other and even sent embassies, the most staggering thing is that the first emperor of the Ming dynasty held Rome in such high regard that he sent an embassy to the Byzantine court in the 14th century to inform the emperor in the west of China's reunification. You simply don't get to know things like that from studying history from the 'mainstream' perception.
That's so interessting to hear! I never knew about this! I agree with you the Sino-Roman relations are very fascinating, they where basically pen pals in the ancient and medieval world. I wonder how the Chinese reacted about the fall of Constantinople, ending the Roman civilization in the process.

Yes, there's a Wikipedia article dedicated to this.

I love these past few comments and links, by the way.

He really flexed on the Byzantine emperor didn't he

"yeah we reunified how's it going for you?"

It's always so funny when I share some really obscure knowledge with people I know. Like for most remotely significant cities in the world I have a pretty good idea where they are located because of RFC city name maps but try working your way backwards to why you know that information with a person who doesn't know what Civilization or a mod are, just because you know Myitkyina is in Upper Burma

I second this. My knowledge from history is far from complete or comprehensive, but thanks to Paradox and Firaxis I know some particular and very specific parts about history - I didn't know who Amelia Earhart was, much less remember her name, before playing Hearts of Iron IV.

DoC was my first introduction to the Holy Roman Empire and the German unification, if I recall correctly.

DOC introduced to me new parts of history such as Turkic tribes and the Tamil trading empires. I learned new concepts of history thanks to DOC (Stability, 19th Century Politics, Governments and many more).

Top Bottom