1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Prince

Well, i want to make a Varietas Delectat where the Units Artstyle was based on an Ethnic Citystyles rather than any specific Civs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

The one thing that could truly make DOC a history god (but would kill it in terms of gameplay) is making time linear.
    Actually seeing how long and powerful Egypt was - 2500 years of civilisation - makes every other empire pale in comparison. Seeing how far and long the Turkic peoples ruled over vast swathes of Eurasia, how European empires truly rose and fell over a millennia, seeing China through the most eventful periods of human history, it would put everything completely into context. Like I said though, sadly gameplay unworkable... unless?

hnrysml, Hickman888 and phoenixfire7 like this.
  3. Hickman888

Hickman888 Warlord

We make Marathon speed the default speed, and introduce a new speed, Marathons Marathon, 4500 turns. :cool:

4. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Prince

I have a question for anyone.

Why a Persian Civ isn't exist/playable in the 600 AD scenario?

BaneFire likes this.
  5. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Because the Sasanian empire (the Persian civ at that moment) only lived until 651 when it was conquered by the Rashidun Caliphate. It is not worth it to include it for such a small time.

If you mean why the Iranian civ is not playable in the 600 AD scenario, that is because of current game mechanics that doesn't allow Iran to chosen in the civ selection screen. But these game mechanics will be changed soon and Iran can be chosen in the civ selection screen. (Just be patient) If you want to play Iran in the current game, play a few turns as Congo and switch when Iran spawns.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  6. h0spitall3rz

h0spitall3rz Grand Vizier of Your Mind

Even with the present circumstances, we could still have 600 AD Persia autocollapse after a few turns or when Arabia gets a city from it. We can also have its stability set to Unstable at game start. Just a suggestion, so that we could mimic the actual situation at that time as closely as possible based on available sources.

7. Steb

Steb King

Come to think of it, that would be much more flavorful than independent cities. Sasanian Persia was actually undergoing a golden age in 600 under Khosrow II. It reached its largest extent circa 620. Considering how little representation Sasanian Persia gets (in general and in DoC, which focuses more on Achaemenid Persia), it would be a nice way to make people more aware of it. It would also provide an interesting survival challenge for players inclined to play with it. But of course, that may not be the best use of development time.

Krieger-FS and ShinobiHus92 like this.
  8. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

I vote for it to collapse when Arabia takes a city from it, seeing as how the Arabian invasions were major factors in their fall IIRC.

phoenixfire7 likes this.
  9. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Warlord

If the 600AD scenario were to include Sasanian Persia, I think conqueror unit spawns could also work.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

What's the point. It's five turns.

11. ShinobiHus92

ShinobiHus92 Chieftain

I agree, wouldn't it be better if the Arabs have their own conquering event? Their flipzone is already a good starting point (representing their early conquest), but after that it seems most of the time they just kinda stopped with their expansion. I'm also on board on the idea having the Persians around in the 600AD, and autocollapse itself a few turns later. It gives the player a feeling that the game had already begun before you arrived.

That's why I liked the 1700AD scenario the most since most Civs are well represented. 600AD right now feels empty to me while we talking about the Persians, the Indian subcontinent also falls into independent cities. Can India and Tamil civs also be included in the 600AD? The Pala and the Chola empires played a huge part in the medieval india history, unless they autoresurrect themselves later in the game. In the end that's my opinion if for some reason it can't because gameplay reasons, then I can understand that it wouldn't be suitable. :)

12. h0spitall3rz

It's the representation and historical accuracy. Five turns shouldn't matter; they still represent major events in the 50 years represented by those 5 turns. It can be scripted to ensure consistency, anyway.

Echoing @ShinobiHus92, I agree that 600 AD feels empty, especially with India and Persia. Korea, Japan, and Vikings are not presettled. Kingdom of Aksum is already represented as collapsed. This general scenario setup, I think, is an artifact from vanilla RFC. We may not address the historical inconsistencies in the 600 AD scenario right now, but we can take note of this in the new map once it's set in stone.

13. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Prince

Then make it 500 AD scenario isntead.

14. Leoreth

Make it yourself.

15. troubleshooting

troubleshooting Chieftain

Or play from 3000BC, Persia is usually still kicking by the time Arabia comes around, in my experience anyway.

16. freethink

freethink Prince

Speaking of Persia
    Are the Greeks supposed to get conquerors and invade, even if they are a vassal of Persia?

MalayanGamer and YelCinist 2000 like this.
  17. h0spitall3rz

I think this is a good idea, though I also think this needs to wait for the new map, if ever.

For those who want to quickly jump into the game as > 600 AD civs or for those who do not want to rely on the total randomness of the outcome of playing from 3000 BC (like me), it doesn't seem to be a good idea.

18. Leoreth

It really isn't. It's the worst kind of post you can directly address at me.

19. MalayanGamer

MalayanGamer Prince

Not it's not.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  20. Leoreth

It is. Welcome to my blocklist.

Imp. Knoedel and Cole98 like this.