1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Zaddy

Zaddy Warlord

There is unfortunately no way to tell on the civics screen, but it is catalogued in the Civilopedia. Don't recall off hand where though.

2. Enyavar

Enyavar Prince

Civilopedia: Concepts --> Stability influence factors.

It is an elaborate essay, but one should really know the contents to fully take advantage of stability - and to know when to stop conquests; or slow down/accelerate teching; or build jails and courts.

3. HighFunctioningAlcoholic

HighFunctioningAlcoholic Warlord

Unless the number is greater than ~10, it has been removed, per my American empire.

1SDAN, need my speed and Enyavar like this.
  4. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Awesome, I am pretty sure it kicked in at... Five? Cool, thank you! :)

5. Lost King

Lost King Chieftain

Thank you, now if I may ask another (maybe) basic question... is there some way to pan around the map during a Congress city selection?

6. Enyavar

Enyavar Prince

No.
    If you want that city or found that colony, you have to have memorized the entire map with all potential city names for all nations in all locations you might not even have been interested in before getting the choice. Naturally.

(Edit: Yes, sorry for being sarcastic. This isn't supposed to snap at you, Lost, it is more a statement that I am also not happy here)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    RustyBrick likes this.
  7. Lost King

Lost King Chieftain

I assume you're trying to be sarcastic because it ought to be obvious. But when the events popup I'm seemingly unable to do anything besides react to them, including moving the map. So I was wondering if this is an unusual bug, or if there's some obscure workaround.

Enyavar likes this.
  8. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser King

Does anyone know a way to get St. John's for Canada without conquering it, preferably something that isn't luck-based?

9. DanLT3

DanLT3 Warlord

Espionage, spread culture and eventually they will gift it to you.

10. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Congresses. Canada does have a hidden modifier that makes acquiring cities in Newfoundland and Labrador more in your favor. But it is still a bit luck based.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  11. Dannimal

Dannimal Chieftain

For England/Prussia/Japan tech UHV (be first civilization to research 8 [era] techs), is there an indication of the progress of the current tech leader / rival? i.e First to research industrial era techs: you [3/8], America [4/8].
    I was hoping to see an indicator similar to the largest population / most cultured UHVs comparing your civ to the pop / culture rival.

Not sure if the option is hidden via the BUG option screen.
    Thanks.

Leoreth likes this.
  12. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

There is not, but I am working on victory goals and their progress display right now, so I can change that.

Do you think knowing your closest competitor would be most helpful? Or instead the remaining number of techs to be discovered first?

13. Enyavar

Enyavar Prince

Suggestion: Blue Mosque could have Islam as a city prerequisite. Being Secular, I may build the wonder in "Blue Moscow", when the city is only orthodox.

14. Dannimal

Dannimal Chieftain

In an ideal world both:
    1. UHV screen displays the closest competitor's progress.
    2. Tech tree screen indicates if technologies have been discovered by others. (Relevant for all civs).
    If the tech tree screen has an indicator (mouseover or otherwise) for undiscovered technologies, it also helps the player to plan rushing for "First to discover receives free Great [person]".

I can repost to suggestions & requests thread if you'd like.

15. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

Not needed, thanks. I will take it into account.

ozqar and 1SDAN like this.
  16. Xfactor

Xfactor Warlord

Hey guys,

Wanted to ask a question on America's UHV, 3rd one to be specific.

So i tried two games with them , both of them i dominated extremely well , the second even more , and i wasn't even close to getting to 75% on both eco/military - at 1990 mark i was something like 45 eco/40 military (not sure how much do nukes add to the military power, since i got both games the denuke policy passed).

Anyways - particularly in my second game i vassilized Canada as always (they aren't the best vassal but due to tech and modifiers i assumed that they will "go well" - they didnt). My defensive pact was Brazil - they were doing pretty decently , and i intervened in Argentina , killed it and gifted a city to brazil to boost them+ gifted them techs (they still refused to take guiana. After that almost no one wanted to sign a def pact. Notable powers were France and Russia (both were at cautios relations, but hated eachother) I got both them to pleased at a certain point but they didnt sign anyways.
    In addition to that game - North america was under my full control + bolivia and parts of west canada and fully developed (was reaching the last few techs of the tree by 1990, full cottage everywhere i can. I controled Buenos Aires, Australia , parts of Arabia and southern India (india was alive in my game) collapsed England (even though they were very weak - no Indian conquest) , China was also collapsed , even though they were very advanced. I had an invasion going in Spain (to help boost France relations) , and Middle east (Russia relations) - in the end still can't even reach 50% on both paramaters. Eco wise i was generating +300 a turn with 100% science.

Now i know you really need vassals/def pacts to do this , but at a certain point i was killing Riflemen with Mech infantry - my army was over 150-180 units and i had invasions/bases all around the world. Still not sure even if i signed a def pact with France+Russia (who were far in tech compared to me but still i wouldve gifted them a bunch just to bring them on board) - i wouldve hit 75/75.

What's the best situation here - just nuke everyone? Who to vassilize - i can't really go for russia/europe , since both are very hard to crack. I mostly aim for Australia/South America. What's up with the def pacts - almost every game i do i don't use them but when i need them i rearly get more than 1.

My General strategy
    1780-1900 - develop mainland america + do first goal and secure carribean.
    1900-1950 - build military + eco develop+ chase wonders , since sometimes i just miss them due to techrate.
    1950 - start spreading chaos looking for allys - 40 turns to do it , but usually at 1950s i am around the 25 eco/20 military mark (me+canada vassal usually)

Thanks for the input in advance!

YelCinist 2000 likes this.
  17. Zaddy

Zaddy Warlord

It's incredibly important to ally Russia, as funny as it sounds. I think you're underestimating the importance of alliances here. It's important to grow your strength and economy, yes, but it seems EXTREMELY hard to hit the goal without allying some combination of France/Russia/England/Germany/China. With some good alliances, good luck and fast expansion, I have completed the goal before 1900.

When you start the game, you need to decide in advance who you're going to be buddies with and who you can ignore. Russia is a great ally, as they always become extremely strong and you have no interests in the same land. They also tend to lag behind in tech compared to you but build a ridiculous amount of troops. Whereas, I would kill of England ASAP. Wait until England DOWs you on spawn for additional armies, adopt Despotism to quickly whip out a feet and immediately invade England. They have some nice wonders and are very likely to keep pace or outtech you until it's too late to win the wonder race.

18. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Yet every civilisation is still telling me 'You've grown too powerful' as a reason not to capitulate or peace vassalise to me... That is very meh, I'd like to completely remove this weird consideration somehow.

BaneFire likes this.
  19. Xfactor

Xfactor Warlord

Just redid the save from 1970 and holy moly, brazil was the problem all along! Btw i am dumb on the nuke part and i guess you have to first build a nuclear bomber (not just the plant + manhattan) to be able to build actual nukes, and not the free nuclear bomber you get from the project. Anyways......

Canceled def pact with brazil (0 def pacts) - immidietely france and russia signed with me - gifted them techs and started clearing europe. Balance was something like 55/45 eco/military after that.
    Had only one vassal Canada and they were bad , so went into middle east and England - England collapsed in 3 turns after i took London. Arabia collapsed in 4-5 after i took mecca + jerusalem, got Damascus as well (indy). I didnt bother much with the indies in Britain just killed some for XP.
    Here is the important part - In a chance of luck Iran+Turkey had pacts - Russia hates both , France hates Turkey - went on both and cleared everything from the balkans to India. Turkey collapsed after i took everything (gifted greece a few cities later) , Iran quickly vassilized after i took 2 cities (glad they did!) - balance shifted to something like 70/65. eco/military. Iran really had alot of rifles to boost me , and it wouldve been hell if they didn't capitulate. Egypt collapsed as well w/o my intervention meanwhile (they had alot of rifles)
    China poped up - 0 def pacts on their side so i immidietely signed + gifted techs - that shifted it to 75/72-3 (eco/military) . for some odd reason they vassilized Greece which i think counts as well towards my goal?
    On the Iran+Turkey war two additional things happened - Brazil had a pact + Japan with them so they declared war, as well as Peru which was pretty well developed. I saw Peru is unstable - straight up send a nuke and they collapsed. Game is in the year 1980 - can't really deal with Brazil and Japan at the same time since i didnt have much airforce and manforce to take the Brazil i boosted with techs - i just cleared 1 city and killed as much as i can from them. Japan on the other side i prepared some troops before i started the war in the middle east (saw the pact then) and they fell in 4 turns (they had alot of rifles to push my power). Spain also was at war with me (to boost relataions with france) - just stationed 4 tanks + 4 mechs infront of barcelona and they vassilized - balance 82/74.88. eco/military
    Game year is 1984 - all of europe cleared and under france's control , greece had balkans, russia stable, China reborn and stable+greece vassal. My vassals were - Canada(pretty bad), Spain (decent army, no colonies), Iran (quite an army+good eco) And then this happened - Italy respawned with a huge stack of infantry/marines :crazyeye: at this point i am like nah i am just going to WB declare war on them , but my common sense prevailed.... also my army in Europe i think couldnt have delt with the huge itallian stack (24+ units)

Anyways that shifted the power to 81/70 eco/military - i had two cities in india and 5 turns. Additionally i was chumming out troops at home like crazy+ i was seeing france/russia/iran did the same.
    My only play here was Portugal (quite weak) , India and Indonesia. India didnt have any pacts and i had the south secured - quickly blitzed them in 3 turns with my army from South india + Iran - they vassilized, but had mostly arquebusiers :lol:. Year is 1986 - had a nuke ready - and just pumped it on indonesia where they had a big stack of rifles. - that pushed me to 85 eco/75 military in 1987.

Screenshots attached.

One of the most challenging goals by far in the game. Very dynamic and the old version with the 10 oil resorses pales in comparisson. balance of power.png

Victory.png USA.png Europe.png india.png balance of power.png middle east.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    borhap88 likes this.
  20. FIRST FIRE

FIRST FIRE Chieftain

Hello,Leo,I had played DOC for several years ,and I still feel it is a wonderful mod!
    I have played Japan civ from yesterday,and what I'm considering is that--of course the Up of Japan is powerful,but hard to control,many time I have to change my research plane because of some ai's attitude have changed.Maybe the japan's UP can be more easy to handle?There are two ideas come out with me.
    1.Japan can recieve double benefit of tech spread,and half cost of tech leader.
    2.Every civilization which open border with Japan get one tech ,Japan's research cost of this tech decrease 10% ,and max benefit is decrease 50%.

Leoreth likes this.