Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

btw I play Civ4 on Linux, only problem is that I need to load/save after "centering the map position" event. or load/save at the start if it's a save with this already happened

How does Chinese Core Area work?
I know it is like below at the start for BC3000 and AD600 scenarios,
and it extends to cover Nanjing for the AI when it is revived after the Mongol Invasion.

Civ4ScreenShot0225.JPG

But does the Core Area ever extend for the human player? Or does it stay the same for the entire game?

Also, the Chinese Core Area in the 1700AD scenario is surprisingly large:
it covers an entire additional line of squares, and allows South Hangzhou to be a Core City.
I'm not sure if it is an intended feature or not, but shouldn't Core Mechanics be consistent among different scenarios?

Civ4ScreenShot0224.JPG

I find it so inspiring that there are constant updates in the git repo! Are there any plans for a packaged 1.7 version soon? I ask because I am curious if it will be possible to be played with Varietas Delectat soon.

Not in the short term.

Stupid question, but what's the criteria for needing a road to utilize a resource? It seems rather random...

Stupid question, but what's the criteria for needing a road to utilize a resource? It seems rather random...
You need a route to connect a resource to an adjacent route or city. Roads, Highways, Railroads, rivers once you gain Sailing (I think), Coast once you get Shipbuilding (I think), and Ocean once you get the Ocean trade route tech all count as routes.

Aren't holy city placements supposed to prioritize cities in Religous core areas?
No matter how many times I try, I cannot get Islam to spawn in Ashur, a 12pop city in Islamic core,
rather than Aspadana, a 2pop backwater in Islamic historical area.

Edit)
I finally got Ashur to be the holy city by founding Islam before Orthodoxy spread there.
So I guess the number of religions already in the city affects the holy city selection.
Still, I think a 12pop city with 2 religions should be more favorable than a 2pop city with 1 religion.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0579.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0579.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Civ4ScreenShot0580.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0580.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
You need a route to connect a resource to an adjacent route or city. Roads, Highways, Railroads, rivers once you gain Sailing (I think), Coast once you get Shipbuilding (I think), and Ocean once you get the Ocean trade route tech all count as routes.
Roads, Highways, Railroads, and rivers indeed all interconnect with each other seamlessly, but except for rivers they can not access the sea directly, requiring a port in the form of a city or a fort on the coast. Tiny islands like Cyprus are exempt from this.

To sum up:
  • (Roman) Roads, Highways, and Railroads are Routes.
  • Coastal cities and forts are Ports.
  • Rivers connect everything with anything after the discovery of Sailing (IIRC).
  • To connect Routes with the sea requires either a Port or a River.
    • Tiny islands (I don't know the exact size limit) are exempt from this, and only on them do Routes connect to the sea directly.

Roads, Highways, Railroads, and rivers indeed all interconnect with each other seamlessly, but except for rivers they can not access the sea directly, requiring a port in the form of a city or a fort on the coast. Tiny islands like Cyprus are exempt from this.

To sum up:
  • (Roman) Roads, Highways, and Railroads are Routes.
  • Coastal cities and forts are Ports.
  • Rivers connect everything with anything after the discovery of Sailing (IIRC).
  • To connect Routes with the sea requires either a Port or a River.
    • Tiny islands (I don't know the exact size limit) are exempt from this, and only on them do Routes connect to the sea directly.
Oh right, forgot about the rule about conditional connectivity between land and sea routes.

How does Chinese Core Area work?
I know it is like below at the start for BC3000 and AD600 scenarios,
and it extends to cover Nanjing for the AI when it is revived after the Mongol Invasion.

View attachment 602676

But does the Core Area ever extend for the human player? Or does it stay the same for the entire game?

Also, the Chinese Core Area in the 1700AD scenario is surprisingly large:
it covers an entire additional line of squares, and allows South Hangzhou to be a Core City.
I'm not sure if it is an intended feature or not, but shouldn't Core Mechanics be consistent among different scenarios?

View attachment 602677
The 1700 AD stability map is the "Ming China" map, which has a larger core. In the other scenarios, China enters this period after collapsing and returning after the Mongol spawn. So it's not available to the human player in those scenarios.

Not sure what you mean by consistency. Core areas etc. changing for some civilisations shouldn't be surprising. The 1700 AD scenario assumes that China collapsed and respawned, like it did historically. That's why it's a scenario.

How exactly does culture work when conquering a city? Is it just 25% of the original culture is converted to yours? It's always seemed different compared to vanilla but I'm not sure exactly how. I'm planning on trying the Turkic UHV and need to figure out what cities to use for my capitals.

Not sure what you mean by consistency. Core areas etc. changing for some civilisations shouldn't be surprising. The 1700 AD scenario assumes that China collapsed and respawned, like it did historically. That's why it's a scenario.

I meant, that the 1700AD scenario core is larger than the respawned core.

Civ4ScreenShot0224.JPG

1) is the original core, like the ones you have in the 3000BC/600AD start (before respawn).
2) is the additional core the AI gets after respawn.
3) is tiles that are core only in the 1700AD scenario. The AI can't get these tiles as core in other scenarios, even with respawn.

This is extremely minor, but is there a general policy regarding Great People's pseudonyms? I've noticed some like Mark Twain have them, while others don't. I'm thinking in particular of Malcolm X (Malcolm Little) and Abbé Pierre (Henri Grouès), who are both much more famous under their chosen name than their birth one. There are probably others in other civs.

Generally legal names are preferred, I guess Mark Twain needs to be corrected.

I think a lot more people would recognize the name 'Mark Twain' than would recognize 'Samuel Clemens', so if you have to choose, I'd go with Mark Twain.

One other possibility would be to follow the example of Caveman2Cosmos, and add splash screens whenever a new Great Person is spawned by your civ. Doesn't have to be big, just 1-3 lines about who that person was (including other names by which they're known, which is a much bigger deal for Chinese great people...), along with their official in-game name, their GP type (Great Prophet, etc.), and perhaps a portrait?

I'm not sure where C2C stores its Great People data, but I expect that we could use its model as a pretty good starting point. Perhaps make it a community effort like the National & Heroic Epics?

I think a lot more people would recognize the name 'Mark Twain' than would recognize 'Samuel Clemens', so if you have to choose, I'd go with Mark Twain.

One other possibility would be to follow the example of Caveman2Cosmos, and add splash screens whenever a new Great Person is spawned by your civ. Doesn't have to be big, just 1-3 lines about who that person was (including other names by which they're known, which is a much bigger deal for Chinese great people...), along with their official in-game name, their GP type (Great Prophet, etc.), and perhaps a portrait?

I'm not sure where C2C stores its Great People data, but I expect that we could use its model as a pretty good starting point. Perhaps make it a community effort like the National & Heroic Epics?
Great idea, but this would definitely need to be a community effort. Leoreth has enough on his plate.

Yes please, I think anyone can go through the GreatPeoples.py file and at least list names this applies to. Afterwards we should be able to find someone to make a PR out of it.

Speaking of GP names, some Korean GP names are actually not names, but titles.
e.g.) Munjong is the regal title given to a king of Choson dynasty, whose name is Yi Hyang.
I intentionally left these titles (rather than the actual names) because when it comes to Korean royalty, their titles are usually more well-known than their names.
Would you like to have me create a PR with all of the titles converted to names?

It's a tough question, but I think regnal names can stay. They are not really pseudonyms the way Mark Twain is a pseudonym.

Top Bottom