1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Publicola

Publicola King

I found a .py file that defines what the splash screen looks like (it's in Assets\Python\Sparth), but I'm not conversant enough in py or xml to figure out how it identifies individual Great People, and civfanatics doesn't let me upload a .py file. I was able to upload the xml document (below) that Caveman2Cosmos uses to define the text that appears on each 'Great Person' splash screen in the game. It does include a whole bunch of random GP types (Great Detective, Great Doctor, Great Hunter, etc.), and the list is mostly alphabetized (I wasn't able to find the list that identifies what GP type each name was...), so I'm not sure how helpful it'd be, but it's a start.

Should this be turned into its own thread?

Attached Files:

2. Leoreth

Leoreth Vampire of the Blue Moon Moderator

Are you talking about something different now?

Great People names can be found in Assets/Python/GreatPeople.py.

3. Publicola

Publicola King

Oh, I was talking about the .py and .xml files for Caveman2Cosmos -- given that they already have text for each great person, and art backgrounds, and code, I figured that'd be the most straightforward route to making it a reality in this mod. The .xml file above is the full list of text info that appears for each GP in Caveman2Cosmos, but so far I haven't found the art assets or the bulk of the python code.

4. Leoreth

Okay, so it's a different thing. I was confused for a bit.

5. Leoreth

I don't think that's true. I loaded a 600 AD game and set the Chinese core to its Ming period extent, and it is identical to the 1700 AD state. The situation you describe in (2) did not occur. What are the circumstances where you found that? Do you have a save where that's the Chinese core?

6. Leoreth

I'm currently working on autoplay for Iran, Mexico and Colombia. It looks promising.

7. Leoreth

It's definitely possible, I got the autoplay itself working without issues. The main problem is the overlapping code and making their spawn work exactly like the current respawns. Not worth the effort for the time being when the rise and fall rewrite is also coming up soon.

8. Just an idea

Just an idea Chieftain

I played an Egypt game with develop branch. I noticed Egypt's culture goals have been changed from ''Have X culture in year Y.'' to ''Have X culture by year Y.'' While I think UHV is improved by not having to wait finish date after effectively completing the goal, I think dealing with Greek and Roman conquerors was big part of Egypt's UHV. Currently it's possible to win on Monarch difficulty before Roman conquerors and on Heir it's probably possible before even Greek conquerors.

1SDAN, BaneFire and Leoreth like this.
  9. Leoreth

Yeah, there are lots of issues with the Egyptian UHV in my opinion. I guess it's best to solve them on the new map. Or maybe by forcing me to play them.

black213 likes this.
  10. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

While I'm sure it's better to be dealt with as part of a wider overview, my pet opinion (and hopefully I can plant it as a seed here) is that Egypt should have to conquer Israel and Phoenicia (reflecting the New Kingdom's conquests of those regions). You already get a bunch of cool alt-history city names in that region, which is neat.

black213 likes this.
  11. Publicola

Publicola King

I mean, with three UHVs, it seems intuitive that there should be one for each of the 'Kingdoms' in Egyptian history.

Old Kingdom: something something Pyramids & Sphinx
    Middle Kingdom: culture and population? (Middle Kingdom was probably high-water-mark of Egyptian growth and cultural identity
    New Kingdom: military conquests (esp. in Levant vs. Hittites and Assyrians) and military defense (vs. Sea Peoples). Maybe 'own two cities in Levant and 2 [or 3] along the Nile?

*In theory there's also the Ptolemys, but that dynasty was Greek and came after Egypt got conquered by Alexander the Mediocre. So I don't think it should count.

...Unrelatedly, but I'm suddenly realizing that I don't remember anything representing the Sea People in this game. We have Greek and Roman conquerors, but I feel like there really should be a swarm of barbarians arriving from the Mediterranean Coast attacking.... just everyone. Force the ANE to focus on military power, give each civ a slight leg-up to encourage wars between them and give them a fighting chance to defend, represent the Bronze Age Collapse that wrecked the whole region for 300+ years, and clear some space for later mega-conquerors (Persia, Alexander's Greeks, Romans) to work.

12. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

The Phoenicians would have a bit of a problem with that, wouldn't they? Since they'd spawn just a little bit before the Bronze Age Collapse and location-wise are kind of at the center of everything, but are supposed to be on the rise at or shortly after that point. Unless the barbarians were mostly focused on Egypt (given that the Hittites don't actually exist as a civ right now).

13. Leoreth

Yeah, the issue with the bronze age collapse is that the damage it would deal would set back the affected civs much more than it did in history, despite the fact that it was centuries. I am considering adding additional turns to this part of the game along with the larger map, maybe then there is room to represent that better.

14. Publicola

Publicola King

Yeah, I feel the bigger map would give us an opportunity to revamp that whole region & era -- I know there have been previous suggestions for adding an Assyrian civ in northern Mesopotamia, and perhaps a Hittite civ could be added as well. With more space, there's more flexibility for 'Sea People' to invade & conquer & weaken, without necessarily collapsing every civ in their path.

15. revori

revori Chieftain

Does some know how Trade missions of the great merchant are calculated?
    As Viking (so Capital Oslo) I traveled all the Way to a Chinese 21 Pop City. But I only received 3600 Gold. If I did the Mission at Jerusalem with only 7 Pops and less away from the capital I got 5200 Gold. Shouldnt the trade mission value scale up with the targets city distance and population?

Hickman888 likes this.
  16. DanLT3

DanLT3 Warlord

Holy cities tend to give the most gold for some reason. Don't know how its coded though.

17. JHLee

JHLee Prince

TBH there are already too many free AI stacks popping out of nowhere in that region, in that era.
    Especially in the Middle East, you have to deal with barbarian vultures, barbarian horsemen, Greek conquerors, Roman conquerors, and not too long after, the Arabs (who grab a big bunch of land), two waves of Seljuks, Mongols, Ottomans...
    No, I am definitely against adding more barbarians in the Mediterranean coastline.

18. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 King

I built a city in Taiwan and was quite suprised to see that I was able to culture-capture some of the land tiles in mainland China from it, despite the Chinese civ being alive and having culture on those tiles, not benefiting from the 80/20-thing. So the tiles were mine just by reaching majority culture there. How come?

19. Leoreth

Are you sure the tiles you could reach were in the Chinese core?

20. Bruhmoment

Bruhmoment Prince

Where can I find the latest RFC DOC version?