Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Japan's core only extends to the whole island group on the Industrial Era. The smaller core cannot sustain the many big periphery cities you currently have, especially that a significant number of them are in foreign core(s).

Japan's core only extends to the whole island group on the Industrial Era. The smaller core cannot sustain the many big periphery cities you currently have, especially that a significant number of them are in foreign core(s).

I have two core cities, Kyoto and Tokyo, with a combined population of almost 40. All cities are placed on green historical tiles (Korea and Manchuria are historical territories for Japan), except for Beijing, Nanking and Manilla. These three cities have a combined pop of 25.

Not sure if this matters, but this game is on Emperor difficulty.

It's accurate according to the stability formula, see here.

How does the outdated civics modifier work? I get a -10 modifier and I don't understand how this works. Does it calculate based on how long you had THAT specific civic, or does it group it by it's age (despotism vs. republic etc.)? I wanted to build an Italian empire but I keep collapsing

Some civics get outdated at some point (either after reaching an era or discovering a tech), sticking to them after that gives a flat penalty. Republic gets outdated from the Industrial era forward.

upload_2021-12-23_16-18-7.png

Turns out that it is possible to meet the Incans without getting cartography. Is this intended? Kinda cool honestly.

I didn't really intend that, but it's probably not ahistorical. Polynesia should not trigger the conquerors though.

How many culture rings do you need for that one?
settle rapa nui, get the full 3 culture rings (1 great artist is enough) and then get a sentry-promoted Waka to the very edge of ]the third culture ring 2N 1E of rapa nui. You also have to hope that the incans capture Chan Chan and get 20 culture in there (10 turns with a pagan temple)

settle rapa nui, get the full 3 culture rings (1 great artist is enough) and then get a sentry-promoted Waka to the very edge of ]the third culture ring 2N 1E of rapa nui. You also have to hope that the incans capture Chan Chan and get 20 culture in there (10 turns with a pagan temple)

How did you get enough experience for that Sentry promotion?

I added some simple metrics logging to the mod to see how many civs are ever alive at the same time. The highest I have seen is up to 32 in the 19th century up to the Canadian spawn. It will likely be a bit more until 2020, but I only ran one game until then. But also, for most of the game it never goes beyond 25 active civs at the same time. I also noticed that often there are 6-10 civs alive that are past their historical fall day, so if stability rules were stricter there could even be less civs active.

Consider that the game currently has 50 player slots that are theoretically available, with the corresponding performance costs. Looks like this can be cut down to 40 without issues, and even lower if it was more aggressive about collapsing civilizations to "make room". I could even see a world where the game is forced to make do with no more than 25 slots.

Since most parts of the logic have already been changed to be civ instead of slot based, this is now not that hard to do anymore. Replacing scenarios with custom maps will finally introduce a dynamic assignment of civs to the next free slot, which will allow reducing the number of slots overall and should bring a significant performance gain.

Leoreth, I just rediscovered this mod after not playing for a few years. It's super awesome, well done! The UHV's are really challenging, and I have only yet done the easier ones. So far Egypt, Babylonia, Harappa, Greece, Polynesia and Carthage. I am looking forward to the others. Thanks for developing this mod :D

I added some simple metrics logging to the mod to see how many civs are ever alive at the same time. The highest I have seen is up to 32 in the 19th century up to the Canadian spawn. It will likely be a bit more until 2020, but I only ran one game until then. But also, for most of the game it never goes beyond 25 active civs at the same time. I also noticed that often there are 6-10 civs alive that are past their historical fall day, so if stability rules were stricter there could even be less civs active.

Consider that the game currently has 50 player slots that are theoretically available, with the corresponding performance costs. Looks like this can be cut down to 40 without issues, and even lower if it was more aggressive about collapsing civilizations to "make room". I could even see a world where the game is forced to make do with no more than 25 slots.

Since most parts of the logic have already been changed to be civ instead of slot based, this is now not that hard to do anymore. Replacing scenarios with custom maps will finally introduce a dynamic assignment of civs to the next free slot, which will allow reducing the number of slots overall and should bring a significant performance gain.

Would it be possible to create an game option that controls the number of slots? I am thinking of a performance mode with only 20-25(?) slots, which runs faster but has a (small) risk of civ not being able to (re)spawn and a spawn-save mode, with 40 slots which runs slower but all civs are guaranteed to have a slot to (re)spawn. If that is possible a third option with all 50 slots wouldn't be hard to include as well. That wouldn't be of much use for the base game, but maybe some modmodders might make use of it.

Would it be possible to create an game option that controls the number of slots? I am thinking of a performance mode with only 20-25(?) slots, which runs faster but has a (small) risk of civ not being able to (re)spawn and a spawn-save mode, with 40 slots which runs slower but all civs are guaranteed to have a slot to (re)spawn. If that is possible a third option with all 50 slots wouldn't be hard to include as well. That wouldn't be of much use for the base game, but maybe some modmodders might make use of it.
Or if possible just outright make it a setting where the player can input whatever number they want, perhaps clamped within two values from the XML.

I have also been thinking about that, but the number of slots is compiled into the DLL. So it can't be an option directly, but it would be possible to include alternative DLLs with less or more slots that people can use to suit their preferences regarding performance vs number of civs.

Top Bottom