1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Peter84

Peter84 Chieftain

My English is poor so I can't understand some of the civilopedia texts. Is it possible to copy the text from civilopedia to the goole translator?

2. Leoreth

Leoreth Vampire of the Blue Moon Moderator

Yes. You can find the game texts in Assets/XML/Text. I recommend using a text editor like Notepad++ to search in this directory to find the civilopedia entry you are looking to translate.

3. ThreeBlackSevens

ThreeBlackSevens Chieftain

Is there some way to make religions more likely to transfer to your civilization more quickly? I'm not sure if there's a game mechanic I'm missing but with Ethiopia my strategy has been to settle ~5 cities by the time Orthodoxy appears and have trade routes with whoever starts it, but beyond that I'm not sure what to do as getting either merchant trade in time or being first to discover Ethics seems impossible.

4. Hickman888

Hickman888 Warlord

You're going to want to get a Great Prophet ASAP, and he has an ability you can use to spread the region's core religion (Orthodoxy) to your cities.

ThreeBlackSevens likes this.
  5. LukeAtmey

LukeAtmey Chieftain

Is there a reason why China has a fall date? From what little I've read (and please do correct me if I'm wrong here!) China's long history has been quite chaotic with many collapses but each time it has risen up again. While in DOC China indeed can rise again even after their fall date it seems to me that they don't really do all that well to keep themselves up and floating but instead collapse again and again even if doing moderately well in modern times and I think it obviously has to do with the fall date penalty. So all in all while I can see why it makes sense for China to have a fall date I feel it comes with an undesirable outcome. I think China is an important enough civilization that should most of the time be alive and kicking in modern times.

black213 likes this.
  6. urbestfriend

urbestfriend Chieftain

wheres the shrine.png
    "Saladin, where's the shrine?"
    "It goes right there, see I have a holy city for it right there."
    "You were supposed to build it with a great prophet!"
    "Dude, I'm gonna!"
    "Really? So generate the great prophet."
    *A great engineer has been born in Arabia*
    "I see the problem now."

(Forgive the low effort meme, I wanted to make this post on my lunch break and didn't have time to set up an autoplay.)

So I have recently gotten back into this mod after a long break. I was gonna wait for the new version but I got that itchin for some civ. I did really want to make a post dedicated to an issue I've admittedly brought up before but wanted to get some more discussion/ traction going on it. As I'm sure you've guessed by the meme, it's shrines, specifically, the fact that I never see the AI build them. Like, ever. Maybe you'll occasionally see the jewish shrine in Al-Quds or one of the Buddhist or Hindu shrine in their cities, but one or two shrines being built all game by the religious zealots isn't enough. The rest of the shrines basically never get built. Capturing holy cities should be a major economic goal, as much as a strategic war one, and should be a major turning point in your game. If anything, it feels like a huge sink as now you have to generate a great prophet and build a bunch of money buildings to start to see it pay off long term. And if your 90% great prophet ends of being a great scientist? Sorry better luck next time.

Honestly at this point, I think there should just be another way to make shrines spawn. I do not think tweaking the ai to make them prioritize generating a prophet if they control a shrine will work (although I'm certainly open to being proven wrong). I like the idea of a quest based system, with different conditions for different shrines, such as build a certain amount of temples/monastaries/cathedrals, converting a certain number of foreign cities to your religion, conquering a certain number of heathen cities and converting them, etc. These are all things that players and ai will be doing naturally and thus likely make the generation inevitable, but also allows the player to prioritize these efforts and get the shrine early if so desired. It also interacts with a lot of unique powers - for example, making the islamic holy shrine built through conquest naturally pairs with Arabia's power and makes them the most effective at building said shrine, which is great - we should be encouraging civs to build their respective shrines right?

Would love to hear what others think of the idea and shrines in general. I'd really love to see something about shrines/holy cities tweaked for a future release because it really does feel underdeveloped for what should be such a significant part of the game.

7. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Tie it into religious victory goals (like how accomplishing two out of your three historical goals gave/gives you a Golden Age / Triumphal Arc / I don't remember)?

But that would still make it hard for the AI. And I think that is the main point; get holy cities controlled by the AI to have the Shrines they should have.

8. Crimean Lord

Crimean Lord Warlord

"AI avoids attacking birth protected players" +
    "Additional unit spawns for birth protected players to balance their strength only applies if the attacker is human and the defender is AI" (с)
    I really like new update by Leo: there are so many conveniant сhanges
    But if understand correcly: on the same time it will prevent canonical war between British Empire and the young United States?)

9. Leoreth

A war can still occur in reaction to the flip, that part has not changed. The change only affected regular wars the AI is planning, and scripted war declarations outside of spawn reactions.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  10. Dracosolon

Dracosolon Warlord

There isreally only three ways to make AI shrines more likely, isn't there?

1) Automatically built without a Prophet at specific dates/triggers,
    2) Other means of building them,
    3) Greater priority for the AI (generating Prophets and/or using them for Shrines).

1) is the simplest to implement.
    2) is the hardest and lessens the strategic value of Prophets while 3) represents an opportunity cost for the AI, so maybe Prophets would need something else in either case? I thinka +1 :health: like Great Artists have a +1 :), to represent charity work and the clergy's role in early healthcare, etc, would feel appropriate.

Publicola and black213 like this.
  11. Logoncal

Logoncal Prince

I'll admit, as much as i'm gonna miss massing 50 units in 2 turns, i'm not gonna miss the bankruptcy and inflation that your get after.

12. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 King

Did anything change with regards to if the "optional civs" spawn or not? I turned off the Tamils spawning in the file determining it, but they still spawned anyway :confused: Perhaps related to the new stuff about rising civs somehow? Idk

Crimean Lord likes this.
  13. ThreeBlackSevens

I like this idea! Another possible way to get more shrines could be that you have to have the same state religion as the shrine and then build them like a wonder, as looking through them historically it looks like most of them were built relatively shortly in game terms (couple hundred years) after the religion's founding by governments that officially supported it. That could cause some problems for the Jewish and Taoist shrines when the player isn't near them though. Perhaps independents could build it while ignoring that requirement, and maybe get a bonus to production for it to make up for the fact that they generally have terrible cities?

The quest system is also a really cool idea which I would generally prefer, but for things other than converting cities or building religious buildings I'm having a hard time thinking of ideas that could make it so they would be built regularly by the AI but wouldn't be too trivially easy for the player. Doesn't mean it's impossible just cause I personally can't think of any though!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  14. Leoreth

Yes, I think I mentioned that in the original code drop, but I removed the optional nature of these civs. Should maybe remove the XML entries as well, just to avoid misconceptions that they still work.

1SDAN, Crimean Lord and Cosmos1985 like this.
  15. Hickman888

Hickman888 Warlord

The Moors have a goal of conquering 2 Mali cities by 1200 AD. But with the Mali spawning in in 990 AD, they still have spawn protection active, and receive a large military when declared war upon. Too large a military to realistically defeat in time, in addition to the Spanish. Maybe the Mali spawn protection can end in 1100 AD or so, to give the Moors a few turns to conquer a couple of West African cities?

BaneFire, Rodnok and Leoreth like this.
  16. ThreeBlackSevens

Alright so I was wanting to vibe to the Chinese soundtrack cause it's a bop, which led me to trawl through the game files and left me with 2 questions:

1: Where is the Chinese soundtrack? It doesn't seem to be in Assets/Sound/Soundtrack like the rest of the soundtracks

2: Is there any reason Rome has 3 historical region tiles in Canada???? Lmao, I only noticed this now because it had never occurred to me to look over to North America when looking at the historical region for Rome in worldbuilder before

17. Leoreth

The Chinese soundtrack comes from Warlords, you can find it in its sound files. Rome has had those historical tiles ever since the original RFC, I never changed them.

ThreeBlackSevens likes this.
  18. Logoncal

Logoncal Prince

Their names are "Chinese Uni", "Chinese Adam", "Genghis Khan", "CivIII Japanese 1", "Civ III Japanese 2" and the eastern themes for early, middle and late game for eastern civs in Civ III

ThreeBlackSevens and Publicola like this.
  19. Dracosolon

Dracosolon Warlord

Speaking of music, what do you people listen to while playing the game, if not the soundtrack? I usually don't have a dedicated playlist, except when playing as Rome:

20. Logoncal

Logoncal Prince

Civ IV's OST is so good i cant bother to listen something else.