Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Zaddy

Zaddy Prince

It would be nice if players could "program" the city governor so it followed a set logic on a per city basis. (ie, always work food tiles, etc). Probably not possible in game but a good chunk of gameplay is overriding the idiocy of the governor.

2. urbestfriend

urbestfriend Chieftain

I know I can stop a city from growing - I guess what I'm saying is, I'm upset if say, a city has a copper mine for 5H or coast tile, it will always automatically go for the coastal tile when it grows up a city size or a tile becomes unavailable to work

3. Dracosolon

Dracosolon Warlord

I don't use those but aren't the "prioritize :food:/:hammers:/:commerce:" buttons the closest thing to what you're talking about?

4. Zaddy

Zaddy Prince

Unfortunately even using those, the governor often makes absolutely silly decisions.

5. Matara

Matara Chieftain

Never used any of them. I micromanage it myself.

6. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Or, get whipping ;)

7. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

IIRC, most Monarchy civs historically extracted resources from their periphery and funneled them back to their cores like Greece, England, or Japan, whilst most Elective civs focused more on making use of local resources like Holy Rome, Mongolia and Poland. So ideally it'd be best used by nations that are struggling with happiness/health in their periphery, rather than in their core.

8. kontrakultur

kontrakultur Chieftain

What's going on in this sequence of turns? If the Horse Archers down in Crimea on turn 48 have 2 movement, they shouldn't be able to reach any of my cities in turn 49, yet three of them die attacking Caricyn and one manages to get all the way up to the wheat (4 tiles).

Do barbarians get hidden extra movement somehow? Or extra turns? Is this a bug or intended?

Spoiler :

turn 47.png

Spoiler :

turn 48.png

Spoiler :

turn 49.PNG

Attached Files:

Crimean Lord likes this.
  9. Leoreth

Leoreth Vampire of the Blue Moon Moderator

Please upload a save where this happens.

10. kontrakultur

kontrakultur Chieftain

Of course, sorry! This is on turn 48, but I had to replay a few turns so the outcome is not exactly the same. In this one, the Horse Archers conquer Kiev, which also shouldn't be possible.

Attached Files:

Leoreth likes this.
  11. Leoreth

Leoreth Vampire of the Blue Moon Moderator

Thanks! This is very confusing to me, but maybe the different ordering of the slots allows barbarians to move twice for some reason. Still, barbarians should still be the last slot, as always.

12. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon Chieftain

Has anyone played Prussia in the 1700 AD scenario recently? I played it two times last month. The first time I focused entirely on science, put scientists in all my cities, focused on science buildings, and techs that gave more science. In the end I was way behind the other countries and had no hope of getting the UHV that requires Prussia to research industrial and global technologies before anyone else. The second time I focused more on destroying the countries that could compete with me technologically, like France, Britain, and the Netherlands. This time I did manage to stay ahead in tech, but I eventually collapsed from over extension. Is this normal?

13. Zaddy

Zaddy Prince

I've had success with Prussia in 1700 AD. I'm typing this at work, but some important things to do:

1) Adopt Despotism and tech to Hydraulics so you can whip Levees.
    2) With your starting army, attack and raze Copenhagen, it crowds out Hamburg. Then, conquer and keep Amsterdam, which gives Frankfurt and Hamburg more room and Amsterdam has the Bourse and a few settled Great Merchants so it's a decent city even if you give almost all of it's tiles to Frankfurt and Hamburg.
    3) Tech to Fusiliers, whip a few galleons, upgrade your army and attack England, who is far and away your biggest competition. They need to be destroyed ASAP and have lots of nice wonders and land.
    4) From here, grow your core cities as much as possible and whip/build jails and courthouses to try and keep foreign population down. Colonizing South Africa (particularly the city 1NW of the gold in South Africa) helps with happiness issues.
    5) At this point, the game opens up a bit. Priorities should be attacking Poland and razing Vilnius, and conquering France, who is your other big tech competition besides the Americans. Once the French are gone, the only other civs that could conceivably cause you trouble are the Americans and Russians. Russia is essentially not worth attacking until you have Panzers. America could possibly be neutered by attacking the American east coast.

14. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Would you consider changing one of Japan's historical victory goals? The one where they need an absurd amount of average culture.

15. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

I mean, the absurd amount is to encourage a historical style of play where Japan is super insular until the early modern era where it starts imperialisming like crazy.

16. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

yeah but I only had like 3 or 4 cities just on the main island of japan nowhere else and it is still thoroughly impossible.

17. Dracosolon

Dracosolon Warlord

18. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 King

Arabia flips the clam tile 1S of Athens (as well as 3 tiles to the east of that), is that WAD? Now that flipped tiles stay "neutral" for the duration of the rise of the new civ, it screws over whoever owns Athens a bit.

Leoreth likes this.
  19. NikkoMan

NikkoMan Chieftain

Does Dawn of Civilization work on Mac?

20. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

No. DoC has a custom DLL, which doesn't work on a Mac.

1SDAN, Leoreth and NikkoMan like this.