Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Has anyone been playing Egypt UHV in 1.14 lately? Babylon usually builds either the pyramids on turn 51 or the sphinx around turn 60. This makes the UHV nearly impossible for Egypt, unless I'm missing something. Any tips? I tried sending a warrior rush, but it leaves me so far behind that I lose to the Greek invasion.

IIRC I had some success with sending a War Chariot or two to pillage Babylon's countryside some months back.

IIRC I had some success with sending a War Chariot or two to pillage Babylon's countryside some months back.

I can't figure out how to produce a war chariot before turn 40-ish while still meeting the first UHV of 500 culture by turn 84. It's really annoying that Egypt has to tech mysticism.

Maybe I'll get around to it during later code refactoring.

Speaking of the calendar year, where is it referenced exactly? Is it purely in the Python code or is there a bit contained in the DLL?

Do you mean the code that determines what year it is or that decides what to display?

The one that decides to display and the code that triggers the date display on researching Calendar. (Hoping it's not in the DLL, I don't know how to tinker with that yet)

No, it's only in Python, but in multiple places.

I got the 1.14 patch, and now none of the opponents go for early pyramids. Could just be luck or a weird random seed that I keep reloading. I also figured out that it works a lot better if I just go for the naive strategy of settling in place, connecting stone, and building the pyramids and sphinx immediately. So much for my attempts to be novel.

Building multiple cities also helps. Obviously you need to settle on the coast for the Lighthouse, but a 3rd city lets you effectively increase your cultural output (it's 5000 total from your civ). Also: the culture slider is your friend; get it as soon as practical.

With the patch playing as greek, I noticed usually the pyramids already present when I spawn. Ofthen though babylon build the pyramids as well.

slavery is your friend with egypt the floodplanes cause unhealtiness a lot anyway, work off that access citizen! XD

I originally tried a novel strategy of settling Alexandria first. The city is better, you don't have health problems, and you get more culture to fight for the fish resource. However, I wasn't able to get the stone in my culture fast enough to guarantee the pyramids. They were usually build by babylon on the same turn that greeks spawned. Sometimes they built the sphinx, which also ruins the strategy.

I ended up figuring it out, and now I'm trying to see how far into the future I can survive after getting the UHV. I think I will write a guide later as I explore a few more strategies. Since there are so many flood plains and a health cap, it seems like three cities in the core would be ideal. Just have to figure out the best way to squeeze them in.

I originally tried a novel strategy of settling Alexandria first. The city is better, you don't have health problems, and you get more culture to fight for the fish resource. However, I wasn't able to get the stone in my culture fast enough to guarantee the pyramids. They were usually build by babylon on the same turn that greeks spawned. Sometimes they built the sphinx, which also ruins the strategy.

It is necessary to prohibit Babylon to build wonders others Civ. Let them build their own! It is necessary to impose sanctions against Babylon. ;)

As a faithful Egypt player I must echo the annoyance with Babylon. Recent patches -- at least the last 6~ monarch/marathons I've played -- have been very frustrating to simply get my proper wonders.
I've had more success building my city at Pi-Ramesses, even though it takes some time to be able to access the stone. Of course, that has a lot to do with my own personal agenda (I consider it the most effective capital location for long-term ambition), but the utility of the city's high growth cannot be understated. Slavery is going to be essential if you hope to beat Babylon to both the Sphinx and Pyramids.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend war to sabotage them; you aren't going to get War Chariots in time.

(To clarify, I don't really care to play for their UHV, but I do always build all of those wonders, Sphinx included, and Babylon is a massive thorn in Egypt's side.)

That said, all of this is fairly moot since after the new tech tree is implemented, the entire balance of the earlygame will change and inevitably need to be adjusted accordingly.

I think I will write a guide later as I explore a few more strategies. Since there are so many flood plains and a health cap, it seems like three cities in the core would be ideal. Just have to figure out the best way to squeeze them in.

If you would like any feedback or assistance in writing that guide, feel free to ask. I pretty much only play as Egypt!
(But FYI, 3 cities looks a lot better on paper than it does in practice. Trust me. I've tried. :lol:)

Building on the desert spot below the begin spot makes you get insane high unhealtiness... Floodplains are such a great source of unhealtiness, maybe egypt need one 1 or 2 of those floodplains on a plain/field piece like india has? Or is everything along the nile just flooded desert lands? Not counting the north end.

Building on the desert spot below the begin spot makes you get insane high unhealtiness...

Why would you settle there then? Personally I really like one north of the starting position, so you get Wheat in the second ring for health.

Settling 1S is good in the sense that you're increasing the total yeild of the area. The tile starts as 1:commerce:, but when you put a city there it gets upgraded with +2:food:. If you settle on a flood plain, you don't add any health to the area.

However, in my current strategy, I found that settling 1S gives you too much of a disadvantage early, and I haven't been able to win the UHV with it. The boost of working the flood plain city tile is instrumental for getting the early wonders. I have won settling in place on noble, and it is good enough to be heavily advantaged if you play on past the UHV date as well.

I'm currently developing a strategy where you settle three cities: 1SW of spawn, Alexandria, and one on the Suez Canal.

Is there a limit now on the use of missionaries? I'm working on the Polish UHV, and running into an issue where my Protestant missionary doesn't have the option to spread the religion to my 4th city. Holy city in Krakow, and I successfully used missionaries on cities 2 and 3. Thanks!

What is your state religion? And where is the city where you want to spread located? Some religions are unable to spread to certain cities unless they are the prevalent state religion depending on their location. It's easiest for me to check if you upload a save of the situation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

What is your state religion? And where is the city where you want to spread located? Some religions are unable to spread to certain cities unless they are the prevalent state religion depending on their location. It's easiest for me to check if you upload a save of the situation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

State religion is still Catholicsm.

Cities are:
- Kraków - C, O, P (shrine)
- Królewiec - C, O, P (missionary successful)
- Ryga - C, P (missionary successful)
- Kyiv - C, O, P (missionary unable to spread)
- Odessa - C, O, P (missionary unable to spread)

I will try to figure out how to upload a save tonight. Thanks!

Top Bottom