Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

So this is a mod for a game that's like 10 years old, but in say the 1800s, the game is so slow that the time between turns usually are longer than the turns themselves.

So is it possible to like have the game run faster on a more powerful computer, or is it a fact of the programming (which even is in python IIRC) that makes it so it has to be so slow no matter the hardware?

Unless misused, Python isn't the problem.

It's mostly that the game engine (i.e. inaccessible to modders) has been written with ten year old system architectures in mind, and in some ways is even outdated for its time. I wrote a post on this a while ago:
The bottleneck for turn performance very likely is your available RAM, followed by processing power. In both cases, the age of the game engine prevents it from making full use of your system's capabilities.

The effective RAM available to the game is 2 GB as its EXE is only designed for 32 bit machines. On your 64 bit machine however you can extend the available memory to 4 GB using this tool.

Likewise, the game code is written to only make use of one processor core, now matter how many are available in your system.
Note that most of the recent processing power gains have been achieved by adding extra cores without increasing their individual power, something which Civ4 can't utilise.

There's little modders can do to solve the underlying problems, except work around them.

Thanks man, I'll try to keep the thing about processor core power in mind.
I didn't mean to try and say you were at fault for this btw, sorry if I came across as such.

Don't worry, it didn't :)

It's just that I get why it's frustrating, I'd also like to bring the full power of my hardware to bear. I wish I could do something about it. So it's basically about setting the expectations right, it's not something we can fix unfortunately.

america's historical play

i have question about "secure 10 oils"

should i get 10 oils in my country ?

or if i get it from trading or tribute from vassal sate is it failed ?

You need to control. Acquiring by trade is mentioned explicitly in the goal when it applies.

The new tech tree is available for playtesting now, see the new thread.

While we collect and discuss feedback, I will move on to address the bugs that have been reported in the meantime.

Short overview of my roadmap from here, while playtesting on the hrtechs branch continues:

1) fix all reported bugs for the old tech tree branch (i.e. develop)
2) review standing pull requests
3) some improvements for how StoredData works to make it less convoluted (move from dict to class)
4) publish the current city name maps on Google Docs, possibly alongside a tool that can import changes back to Python format. Hopefully this helps more people to contribute.
5) rebase hrtechs on develop, in other words import all the previously mentioned changes into that branch as well

I will intermittently address issues with the new tech tree, since playtesting on already known flaws isn't very helpful.

I already have a to do list for other changes to the new tech tree (art, mechanics, content), I'll get into more detail once we are at that point. I haven't decided yet when I will merge hrtechs into the develop branch and make the new techs "official" for the Git version.

Last edited:
I got the city screen error again.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot1315.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot1315.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 78
I'm going to address that next.

Is there anywhere I could download an old version of the mod? I kinda want to try some 1.10 or 1.11 for old times' sake.

The Git repo goes as far back as the SVN repo did, if you dig deep enough you can find the commit that corresponds to your desired version (usually labeled 1.x release or similar) and switch to it by using git checkout <commit hash>.

Alternatively, I do have 1.10 and 1.12 lying around if you're interested.

I'm interested in both (I'm lazy and pressed for time so going through the Git isn't really feasible right now), if you could post them or send the link to me that'd be awesome.

Alright, I'll upload them when I'm home.

Upload failed ... if you know a good site to temporarily upload large files (~350 MB) without having to register, please let me know. Probably will get around to it on Christmas Eve.

Did you program the new corporations/industries mechanics (automatic spread based on various factors, no HQ and execs) yourself or take them from another mod? If the latter, where?

It's taken from The Sword of Islam, without any meaningful changes iirc.

Top Bottom