Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

New updates (this breaks savegame compatibility):
- replaced all spice plantations with spice orchards in 1700 AD scenario
- city unrest after conquest depends on culture level
- new implementation for capital commerce (attempt to fix overflow errors)
- fixed a Python exception that occurred for pagan URVs

Forgot to push?

Apparently :/ will do when I'm home.

Does that fix the python exception under Paganism that occurs every turn? That's so annoying.

It should, yes.

Updates are pushed now.

Silly fact: our camel resource icon shows two-humped camel, while actual graphic shows 3 roaming one-humped camels.

Random question: what do people think about bringing back the RFC soundtrack thing when you start a game?

That was one of my last favorite things about RFC. Baba Yetu is GOAT and should be present as much as possible!

Where does that blues guitar tune come from anyway? Did Rhye ever disclose the source?

I don't really care about the title screen music, but I do have some suggestions for the DoC music in general. (I've studied music at the college level)

1. Ethnic soundtracks should extend through the Industrial Era. Hearing classical music while playing as industrial China is quite odd.

2. The modern era shouldn't use "modern classical" music, which virtually no modern civilian actually listens to. Instead, it should follow a progression of Marching Band -> Ragtime -> Jazz -> Rock and Roll -> Rock/Metal -> Possibly techno or hip-hop

If licensing would be an issue, I'm sure that some royalty-free tracks could be found online.

No to popular music. Modern classical music is fine by me, it would be great if there was some Offworld Trading Company like soundtrack for the future era though.

I actually wasn't talking about the menu screen music though, Baba Yetu is definitely here to stay. I meant the first track that plays after autoplay is complete.

No to popular music. Modern classical music is fine by me,
Why do you not want popular music? One of my favorite things about Civ 3 was that the modern era actually used modern-sounding music. There was smooth jazz, rock, techno, and even easy-listening.

I think Leo was thinking more of the Top 40 list on your radio when he was talking about "popular music"

Listening to the selection, there is something so 90s, so awfully tacky, that 16 years later it feels odd to picture that soundtrack in the game today.

I actually meant popular music as an antonym to classical music. But your point is exactly right, popular music by its definition is always too close to the sensibilities of your current decade or even year. Classical music has something timeless to it, plus it is consistent with all other eras of the game.

The Civ3 modern soundtrack felt awful and tacky when the game came out, then again any geeky content can feel awful and tacky and feel just right at the same time.

I actually meant popular music as an antonym to classical music. But your point is exactly right, popular music by its definition is always too close to the sensibilities of your current decade or even year. Classical music has something timeless to it, plus it is consistent with all other eras of the game.
How about marching band or jazz music for the modern era, then? Both are considered serious fields of academic music nowadays, and neither is really popular anymore.

Also, what do you think about extending the ethnic soundtracks through the industrial era, in order to avoid 19th-century Asian civs playing European classical music?

nah x2 combob

It can be a bit immersion-breaking when Industrial era China starts playing European music when it's the most powerful and advanced civilization by far

It can be a bit immersion-breaking when Industrial era China starts playing European music when it's the most powerful and advanced civilization by far
You're right, we should prevent China from ever becoming the most powerful and advanced civilization when it's Europe's time to shine.

Top Bottom