Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

I think their point is that if China is leading the world, it should develop its own industrial period music instead of adopting European music.

2. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

Agreed.

3. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

How can I modify my own version of DoC (with all the modules) so that the ethnic soundtracks continue through the Industrial era, then?

4. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Dear God but how can this mod take so long to load? I think Caveman2Cosmos is faster.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  5. Leoreth

The loading time is frontloaded to optimise for better performance during the game. C2C needs 10 seconds to open a civilopedia page so I take that as hyperbole.

need my speed and 1SDAN like this.
  6. Mouthwash

Confirmed: C2C loads over twice as fast on my laptop (which is very high-end).

7. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

And Leoreth would agree with that; he just gave the reason for it being that way.

8. ozqar

ozqar King

What does the "your population (x) has exceeded the domination limit (x)" message mean?

9. Mouthwash

It means that you have exceeded the population threshold to achieve a domination victory (but you need enough land as well in order to win).

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  10. ozqar

ozqar King

Oh, that's what I thought, but I was not certain because the text is red and always made me think it was a bad thing :crazyeye:

11. Bautos42

Bautos42 Warlord

On my PC, which is good but certainly not "very high end", the game takes around 20 seconds to load, a completely acceptable time frame in my opinion. Therefore, your Laptop is either not as "high end" as you claim it to be, or I see no reason why you are complaining about the loading times.

12. Mouthwash

I swear that I can click on the mod, go to the kitchen and warm up salmon in a microwave, and return and still have time to listen to a full song a Youtube. It's two minutes if I'm lucky.

(I don't suppose my Civ4 being on Steam might be interacting badly with it? Is that possible?)

13. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

You have never played Civ5, have you? Because if you did I guarantee you there is no mod no matter how big or small for Civ4 that would feel slow for you.

ales_, need my speed and 1SDAN like this.
  14. Ogi123

Ogi123 The End is the Beginning is the End

Varietas Delectat is cause, with it I have similar experience of +2min to load mod, without it it's about 20-30sec. If you have music mod or others it also lengthen initial load time.

15. Leoreth

With game assets you have two choices to load them: on startup of the mod, or while it is running. You can control this by which art you relocate to FPKs. In my opinion, it is preferable to have the mod run smoothly during the game and have less MAFs, even if that comes at the cost of longer loading times.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    ales_ and need my speed like this.
  16. Ecthy

Ecthy Warlord

I totally agree with this choice. Also, IIRC the other way of handling memory leads to crashes.

17. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

How come nobody comments on the new slavery mechanics?

18. Nyayr

Nyayr Prince

Slavery is broken, in the nightly isn't it? Does make it so it is a lot harder to play the earliest Civs, maybe it is better to make them start with 1 worker? As now they rarely survive except China... As workers are damn expensive (90) close to a Settler, I understood Slavery made you able to craft slave workers of populace? Also the dealing of slaves seem extremely reduced, somehow in the games I played, not 100% since I didn't adopt Colonialism.

I'm also a little confused on which civics fade out with which technology (democracy, corporation etc...) and then become a -5, (due to the civics names been changed totally) maybe someone can give me a heads up on that? Appreciate.

19. Leoreth

What's your question exactly? The population hurry option has been removed a while ago with the new set of civics, do you mean that change? Or was there something else that made you expect to be able to hurry workers with Slavery?

20. NoShameD

NoShameD Warlord

I'm just playing a congolese game, and I found an unexpected difficulty : nobody, not one civ, adopted colonialism... so how am I supposed to make money through the slave trade ? (We're in 1778, and many civ know geography, as expected)