Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Yeah, sorry. Civics AI has not been finalised yet.

Still my bad :)

AI can be extremely reluctant to change civics in 1.14 too.

Unless you make them change certain civics, in which case they'll gladly change back. So maybe they're reluctant to update their preferences.

How do you change the spawn date and starting techs/units/etc. for a civ? Is it straightforward enough for a non-modder to do?

I would say so! Most of that is controlled by the Python code in Assets/Python/.

Starting date: search for tBirth in Consts.py
Starting techs: Civilizations.py
Starting units: search for "def createStartingUnits" in RiseAndFall.py

If you have any additional questions, there is a "Modmodding Q&A" thread just for this purpose.

So, I been away from DoC for a long time, but on Monday I broke down and downloaded the version that comes after 1.14 -- the git thing? -- and have been playing it. Lots of changes, lots of fun, I'm not planning on going back to 1.14.

Is there any special place in these forums that you'd like reports on gameplay? Like, what happens when Babylon tries to get Construction, Writing, and Arithmetics before the Greek spawn, or when Harappa tries to build 2 walls by turn fifty-something?

Make one! I read everything.

The thread is made. I would post my thoughts on the game imbalances, but I don't have the time atm

Two questions, keyed to the development version:

What are the trade benefits to Open Borders agreements in a Reciprocity Economy? Are there any, or do OBs only give free passage?

Sometimes Pagan Temples are abandoned and sometimes they are repurposed. Is the choice random, or is there some criteria (a tech, maybe, or city size) that causes them to be repurposed?

Reciprocity: with the old effect you are correct. But I recently changed its penalty to -25% trade route commerce.

Pagan temple: if it is your state religion that is spreading, the temple is repurposed. If a non-state religion spreads to your city, the temple is abandoned instead.

Reciprocity: with the old effect you are correct. But I recently changed its penalty to -25% trade route commerce.

I saw the note in the Git Update Log about Redistribution: -25% trade route yield instead of no foreign trade routes. Is this also the case if you sign Open Borders before researching any civics in that area? (I thought it was called "Reciprocity" before you got to pick a civic.) Basically, I'm wondering what happens if you research only one tech -- Pottery, say -- and then someone asks you for Open Borders. Is there any effect besides free passage and maybe a diplomacy bonus?

Pagan temple: if it is your state religion that is spreading, the temple is repurposed. If a non-state religion spreads to your city, the temple is abandoned instead.

Cool. That's gonna change some strategies for China. But another question: When I found a religion and convert, and the holy city contains a pagan temple, is that temple supposed to be repurposed, or is it supposed to continue as a pagan temple? Because that's what happened in a couple of test games with Confucianism (playing as Chinese) and Hinduism (playing as Harappa). After I converted, and looked in the holy cities, the pagan temple was still there.

I saw the note in the Git Update Log about Redistribution: -25% trade route yield instead of no foreign trade routes. Is this also the case if you sign Open Borders before researching any civics in that area? (I thought it was called "Reciprocity" before you got to pick a civic.) Basically, I'm wondering what happens if you research only one tech -- Pottery, say -- and then someone asks you for Open Borders. Is there any effect besides free passage and maybe a diplomacy bonus?
I'm not sure I understand the question then. Open borders have otherwise nothing to do with civics. Unless you have a civic that explicitly forbids foreign trade, signing open borders will give you trade routes, provided your cities are connected.

Cool. That's gonna change some strategies for China. But another question: When I found a religion and convert, and the holy city contains a pagan temple, is that temple supposed to be repurposed, or is it supposed to continue as a pagan temple? Because that's what happened in a couple of test games with Confucianism (playing as Chinese) and Hinduism (playing as Harappa). After I converted, and looked in the holy cities, the pagan temple was still there.
Seems like founding a religion isn't considered a religion spread. I have made a note of this.

I'm not sure I understand the question then. Open borders have otherwise nothing to do with civics. Unless you have a civic that explicitly forbids foreign trade, signing open borders will give you trade routes, provided your cities are connected.

Sorry for being unclear, but that above answers my question! I was signing OB agreements left, right and center in lots of my games, and I was not seeing any cross-border trade connections afterwards. So I was wondering if you had to wait for Merchant Trade to get those. That's all.

Oh okay then. All cities start with one free trade route, all other effects come on top of that.

- Distillery now gives gold instead of happiness with Sugar, Wine, Banana

Oh, finally we can enjoy state alcohol monopoly effects ;) For Russia we need to add Wheat to that list -- how else can one produce vodka otherwise?

Top Bottom