Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Don't know actually, can someone provide some insight here? Edit: Wikipedia says there are West African goat and sheep breeds at least.

"Luikart et al. (2006) argued that genetic markers suggest that goats did not enter sub-Saharan Africa until about 1000 BC, which timing would roughly coincide with the final Saharan desiccation. However, Carter and Flight (1972) report a dwarf goat from Ntereso and Kimtampo, Ghana, in the 2nd millennium BC." https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10963-010-9042-2

So it's not impossible.

Best place for the Mali capital would be between Timbuktu and Tadmekka, so move camel or sheep to that location.
That would make Timbuktu more preferable capital, and also move the norther oasis 1w for same reason.

"Luikart et al. (2006) argued that genetic markers suggest that goats did not enter sub-Saharan Africa until about 1000 BC, which timing would roughly coincide with the final Saharan desiccation. However, Carter and Flight (1972) report a dwarf goat from Ntereso and Kimtampo, Ghana, in the 2nd millennium BC." https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10963-010-9042-2

So it's not impossible.
If it's in the BCs, that's fine. The map is largely anachronistic regarding the spread of crops and animals that were initially domesticated in a specific region of the world (e.g.

Best place for the Mali capital would be between Timbuktu and Tadmekka, so move camel or sheep to that location.
That would make Timbuktu more preferable capital, and also move the norther oasis 1w for same reason.
I was worried about that spot as well, moving a resource there is a good solution.

Question: are the 1700 European respawn thingies scripted, conditional, or just a coincidence? I've got a Viking game going into the mid 1500s where I annexed England pretty early and I want to be prepared.
I'm sure they don't happen if you are above stable, or had a positive check. Read stability on cviliopedia for more stuff, they're conditional and their respawn depends on the situation of the controller of the core area

The only case where you are vulnerable to losing cities to respawns even if you are stable is if a neighbouring civ is unstable enough to cause someone to respawn, and some of your cities get "swept up" in the rise of that civ because they belong to its respawn area.

By the time of the Mali Empire regular rice was already widely cultivated in that region, and one of the main crops. African rice was cultivated in Nigeria since at least 1000BCE, however, in the Niger Delta

The phenomenon where a civ conquering a city gets a ring of tiles around the city can be exploited somewhat. Pic attached. I (Italy) focus on culture so I get the clam and wine from Marseilles. Poland captures Marseilles from the French; and the French capture it back: the net effect of this being that I lose these two tiles despite no involvement whatsoever. You could kinda solve this by only allowing tiles belonging to the civ losing the city to flip to the conquering civ.

Spoiler :

P.s. the scoreboard. The AI really needs some help with stability :lol:

I've been wondering for quite some time now why the Gameplay Guides Forum is exclusively used for walking people through a single way to play a single civ. There's no guides on general good practices like how to handle overlap or what units to go to war with. Many existing guides tell you which cities to settle but never why or good alternatives. They never talk about strategies that aren't pure UHV guides.

Why does Civ 4 proper have so many in depth guides but I've yet to see a single one that is even a fourth as good? I feel like something is lacking on this board, maybe it's just that our community is smaller, but I wish there was more discussion on strategy, not just when someone asks a question, but also discussion for the sake of it, to build up a set of resources for new players to look to that are specialized towards the newest version of DOC.

I know the in game pedia already has gameplay guides, but from what I've seen they're either for vanilla Civ 4 or the original RFC. I would write guides if I could, but I'm not exactly knowledgeable on the best practices of DOC.

Just so you know, the Moors will always have their borders over the Iron by the time they spawn. That means all they need to do is build a mine on it and connect it to the nearest city using 2 roads. Not sure why but building a road on it doesn't connect it via the coast, you have to use a road to connect it back to the nearest city. Is there any reason that happens?

Only cities and forts connect road networks to naval trade. This has always been the rule, and makes sense because you need a port to connect the two.

Only cities and forts connect road networks to naval trade. This has always been the rule, and makes sense because you need a port to connect the two.
Oh, is there a special rule for islands like the one with the sheep off of Rome? I think that's what confused me.

Yes, so you are not forced to build a fort on them.

Is it just me or is tech going really fast, at least in medieval/renaissance Europe? I've started a few England games to try to figure out the ideal start, and while my presence can certainly have effected things, it feels like all the larger powers were easily keeping up or exceeding my (decently quick) pace. Like, in my current game I'm in 1240, about to get invaders. Spain beat me to Cartography by a few turns but their caravel is going the wrong way. HRE and France have Gunpowder and Crop Rotation on me, might also have continued further in that direction. Only techs I think I snagged first have been Civil Service & Education. It's cool that they're keeping up on Monarch/Epic but we're all silly ahead.

Is it just me or is tech going really fast, at least in medieval/renaissance Europe? I've started a few England games to try to figure out the ideal start, and while my presence can certainly have effected things, it feels like all the larger powers were easily keeping up or exceeding my (decently quick) pace. Like, in my current game I'm in 1240, about to get invaders. Spain beat me to Cartography by a few turns but their caravel is going the wrong way. HRE and France have Gunpowder and Crop Rotation on me, might also have continued further in that direction. Only techs I think I snagged first have been Civil Service & Education. It's cool that they're keeping up on Monarch/Epic but we're all silly ahead.

It's been like that for a long time now. Btw, Leo, I'll make a PR with tech tree cost fixes in a while :)

I've tested a few 600 AD scenarios with my adjustments. Tech speeds seem to be back to normal, now, although I haven't gotten beyond column 12 yet. Haven't tested 3000 BC games too, so I'm not sure if I had slowed down early game tech or not.

Last edited:
hey guys/gals,

quick question: the new enlarged world map is not really playable right now, right? i mean in the way that the civ-foundings take place, city naming happens correctly and general game mechanics work.
i would love to play it..i started with the wb-save (by h0spitall3rz; great work!) i've seen in the "central asian civ"-thread...AMAZING FUN...until the AI founds Vancouver in the center of NA..and other oddities.
what has all to be done before it is playable?

congrats on making RFC DOC my spiritual CIV5...:)

There's A LOT MORE to be done. Like, a hell lot. (Forgive the word usage.) I made a checklist of things to update for the bigger map, and it's kinda long (not sure if I missed anything):
  1. 600 AD and 1700 AD scenarios (I've nearly completed these already, but whether this is truly complete or not will depend on the **final** version of the map, which will account for a lot of the suggestions in the Big Map thread as well as Bautos42's further revisions.)
  2. Birth areas
  3. Core areas
  4. Changed cores
  5. Resource spawns
  6. Settler maps
  7. War maps
  8. City name map (Leo's thinking of implementing one universal city name map for everything with only rename dictionaries, a la SoI, but thinking of the disparity between city name maps of ancient and of later civs, I'm not sure how that will work for us.)
  9. Region map (Slight revisions only, plus there are plans of adding more regions by splitting them off larger ones.)
  10. Victory areas
  11. Barb spawns
  12. Other Python files containing hardcoded plot coordinates
So yeah, there's still a lot. :lol: If we want to speed up our progress with the Big Map so that we can play with it sooner and better, I guess we'll have to get the Python stuff done together. Especially the settler, war, and city name maps--they constitute the largest bulk of the work, imho.

No, the new map is not even close to playable yet. In my opinion the final outline of the map itself needs to be determined before we can even move on to settler maps and the like. I'd also really like to include it sooner rather than later, but there are still other things that I want to do before that. This includes refactoring major aspects of the code, so the underlying changes that are necessary might change as well. In other words, it will take some time until we can make significant progress here.

Hmmm. I get what you mean. Well, as someone who's already itching to play proper games with the larger map, I'd like to make it playable, which is why I'm working on the Python stuff already. (Tbh, I've done most of the core and birth areas already.) I understand the complete rewrite and refactoring of RiseAndFall.py for v1.16, but I think those working on the big map like me can adapt our modifications to your changes along the way, as it would still be based on your plans and changes for the mod, after all. About the final outline of the map, we can't do anything about it as the ones we have now aren't final yet. But I at least am willing to redo those that need to be done again such as scenarios once the final version of the map comes out. :)

The rewriting of RiseAndFall.py isn't the thing that is holding it up. The Warmaps and Settlermaps mechanics will be rewritten somewhere in the future. At least, IIRC Leoreth mentioned that once.

Top Bottom