1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Have you renamed the folder? Glad you are enjoying the mod.

2. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Ah, okay, I did - but all that's done is load none of the scenarios. But it did grey everything else out, so progress?

3. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Never mind, fixed it. It should be in the Program Files folder, not the Documents one.

Imp. Knoedel, 1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  4. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Question to all the 1700 AD Japan players: will human player witness automatic capital relocation to Tokyo at some date? Also it is the largest city of the modern world, but what is the largest size one can grow it in game, practically?

Question to Leoreth -- maybe Russia could start 1700 AD with capital in Petersburg with automatic relocation to Moscow in case of ANY Government civic changes? 1700s in Russia start with Peter, meaning -- it coincides with birth of Imperial Russia.

bismarck_ likes this.
  5. Orbii

Orbii Warlord

Japan's capital does not automatically relocate to Tokyo as a human player, and there really isn't much of a motivation to do so manually either. Tokyo is starved for infrastructure in the 1700AD scenario and the hammers need to be put towards more important things than a Palace. As for its size, by default Kyoto has access to the seafood on the south coast of Japan which is shared between Kyoto and Tokyo; if Tokyo takes it, it has three food resources and a full BFC of coast tiles. Realistically, if you build industrial infrastructure, Tokyo caps at ~21 pop in my experience. If you skip the production infrastructure (industrial parks in particular) and use clean power options, 25 pop is what I tend to get to if I maximise coast tiles.

These numbers are all off the top of my head, and based on a Japanese Empire with Korea, all of Japan, and Thailand, which I usually turtle off of before China collapses or I have modern military. Civics are usually Democracy/Constitution/Egalitarianism/Free Market/Secularism/Colonialism.

6. Steb

Steb King

There are plenty of situations where it would be good roleplay to build a palace, but rarely any incentive to do so. When I play Japan (usually 3000 BC) I'll build a palace in Tokyo in the industrial era just for fun. And Elective makes me want to build palaces because of the bonus.

It would be nice if there was actually some sort of bonus associated with moving capitals. Maybe it could cut the number of anarchy turns in half if you change civics on the turn the palace is built.

7. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

In vanila RFC there is even penalty for moving capital, but I think DoC retired that practice.

8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Correct.

9. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Stalin and Starlight, Stalling a Stallion

I think I already brought something like this up in the Suggestions thread a few weeks ago, but it bears repeating in the current discussion:

What if every time you switch civics you get a pop-up asking if you would like to relocate your capital for free?

Alternatively:

What if every time you move your capital you get the opportunity to change your civics for free as if you just used a Great Statesman for it?

J422, 1SDAN and Publicola like this.
  10. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Pacific Phytopathologist

Wouldn't that only make the human player more powerful?

11. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

I don't think so, if palace cost increases with every reallocation I think it's a very feasible feature.
    And tbh I don't like the current anarchy mechanic very much, though it kind of provides historicity by making you avoid civic changes, I think we can brainstorm a better idea than the current one

12. Imp. Knoedel

The AI already gets free scripted palace changes where appropriate, does it not?

1SDAN likes this.
  13. Royal Tenenbaum

They do, but that doesn't address my point. The AI would need to be scripted to know to use it, otherwise I can't recall any other feature that is mean't specifically for human that isn't an exploit.

14. Imp. Knoedel

We've got features only the AI can use, we've got features only the player can use. Separate but equal.

15. Royal Tenenbaum

Not one that gives the human player an advantage, for the sole purpose of giving them an advantage.

16. Imp. Knoedel

Look, do you want the Russian capital to be Petrograd from time to time or not?

bismarck_ and 1SDAN like this.
  17. Steb

Steb King

The goal is to tell the human: "moving your capital isn't pointless, you can reap this minor benefit if you do!" Coupled with role play, it'd be enough to make me want to build a palace in Tokyo/Vienna/Rome/Stockholm/St. Petersburg/Beijing (there are quite many cases where this applies).

18. Darnokthemage

Darnokthemage Chieftain

maybe give it a stability bonus.

19. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

What is the current limit on number of National Wonders one can build? Perhaps Palace could increase that limit by, say, 1 or 2.

20. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Oh, that's an interesting idea.