1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

There is even a GS progress bar, like GG bar, on the top. You get those with experience of your spies, like GG gets born with the experience of victorious troops. Also Psychology gives you free Great Spy.

1SDAN likes this.
  2. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I launched an effort to come up with Great Spy names a couple of years ago but we didn't get enough results that it was worth including. But it's definitely possible and I'd like to do it given enough names.

1SDAN and Steb like this.
  3. hnrysml

hnrysml Warlord

It's usually "Your garrisons have been expelled" and the AI gets many extra defenders so you are unable to reconquer with the garrisons you had. I really like the mechanic, the only problem is for Japan when it happens to close to the deadline for victory

4. star15389

star15389 Prince

When I won as Japan I was lazy about building ships and didn't declare war on Indonesia until 1920. Guess that was actually a brilliant strategy :)

5. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

You've been lucky there was Indonesia to begin with. Mine just spawn right before the deadline.

hnrysml likes this.
  6. catacau

catacau Chieftain

The worse for me was a Dutch city (that never collapsed by the way), heavily defended, which I had to take it with amphibious assault because that was no improvement on they jungle titles. If I had sent my troops to Amsterdam and tried to attack there I think it would have been easier.

7. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Yes, Amsterdam and Dutch are really frustrating for Japanese Tech UHV as well. They discover Global techs in 1-2 turns for EACH. Modifiers are too good for them.

1SDAN likes this.
  8. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Pacific Phytopathologist

Netherlands is so frustrating recently that I actually WorldEdit all of Europe to be at war with them.

1SDAN likes this.
  9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

This is basically what European football championship feels like.

10. JHLee

JHLee Prince

I know this is a question and not really a discussion, but I had to ask:
    Is there any way to play civs such as Mexicans, Incans, and Columbians who don't appear in the 'Select Civ' screen
    WITHOUT having to manually flip from another civ?
    Which files do I have to modify in order to do so?

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

There isn't. If it was easy to enable I would have already done so.

1SDAN likes this.
  12. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Is it possible to declare war on an independent civ if you don't control any cities?

13. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

You can do it in the scoreboard. Enable showing minor civs in the BUG menu, and Alt + Left Click on the independent civ in the scoreboard.

Of course you may declare war on the wrong independent civ sometimes. There are two of them.

1SDAN and Tigranes like this.
  14. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

That's what I was missing. Didn't know you could make them show up. Thanks.

15. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

So the Ottomans are powerful. As in really powerful.

I started the game by not declaring war on the Byzantines, so that all of the units in their cities in my flip zone would flip. I went down and conquered Jerusalem and the city north of it, I didn't bother with Bagdat or Tebriz as I prefer not to capture cities that flip. I conquered Mekkeh and then headed north to take Konstantiyye. I took the rest of the Byzantine's territory and then took all of Italy. At this point I had 3 Holy Cities of 4 Religions and was teetering on collapse. None of my cities declared independence though, so I can't complain.

After a while my economy stabilized and I went on to capture Germany. I ended up being first in the Tech Race by a wide margin and if I wasn't so intent on building every building I could have easily went and built a huge army. And yes, I was out teching the Netherlands into the 1930s, when they collapsed. I used Worldbuilder a little bit, but only to undo non-combat movement.

Is this normal to be able to do on Regent? It's a low difficulty but it's the suggested difficulty too.

Attached Files:

16. Fresol

Yes, on Regent you're usually able to do this with the more privileged civs.

On higher difficulty levels you'll need to spend tens of thousands of extra :science: on research, which is equivalent to a waste of :gold:. Meanwhile your opponents are stronger, and the game is harder in general.

1SDAN likes this.
  17. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Technically it was my Caravel who has discovered Spanish city, Okay in the New World, but still. Why did I fail my last goal? Does the UHV check for me to discover European city in Old World specifically?

Civ4ScreenShot0120.JPG

Never mind, turns out 3rd goal was modified to demand me to contact them before they discover America. But then why did I register the fail after I made the contact? For all I know I kept teching hard while America was discovered 100 years ago but they never contacted me. IMO goal has to fail immediately upon European discovery of America, even if they did not come into contact with Maya.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  18. Fresol

You're discovering them in the New World, that's why. It doesn't matter if they already have a city in the americas or not.

19. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Emperor

The first European civ you meet must not have discovered any tiles of the Americas. If you had you had managed to not meet Spain, then it's possible you could have gone and met someone like Portugal or France, and maybe they hadn't uncovered any tiles.

1SDAN and Tigranes like this.
  20. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Having the check on @onFirstContact() has 2 benefits. The first is speed. Now, only 1 check is performed. If you want the check to happen upon discovery of the New World, you need to check every turn for every European civ. (This can be partially improved by enabling the check only after the discovery of Exploration, or whatever tech enables Caravels)

The second benefit is that you can still win the UHV, even if an European civ did discover the New World, as long as you didn’t make contact with that particular civ. If for example France didn’t discovered the New World yet, you could have won by meeting France before they discovered the New World and before you met Spain.