1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Nov 19, 2015.

1. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

does baghdad flip in recent versions? I thought it wasn't flipping?

2. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Thank you! Yes, I like this UHV already :mischief: Civ4ScreenShot0121.JPG

1SDAN and need my speed like this.
  3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Correct, if you wanted to code this goal entirely correctly it would be too resource consuming because you would need to check after every unit movement if America or Europe had been discovered, respectively. I think I can change it to "make contact with a European civilization before any old world civ discovers the Americas". That would also be very resource efficient and not encourage weird behaviour like avoiding Spain so you can make first contact with Poland or something.

Well first of all it is your own responsibility to have fun in a game.

1SDAN and need my speed like this.
  4. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

How do I change AI Harappa and Polynesia to be enabled by default?
    The recent posts about Polynesia made me want to see how the two empires perform under AI control.

I assume Polynesia isn't currently used by AI cuz it doesn't interact with players much and doesn't expand well enough.
    I assume Harappa isn't currently used by AI cuz they don't prioritize settlers enough.

Is that right?

5. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Quick question: say I did some minor changes to UnitInfos (made Waka to settle seas rather than attack) but now when I was trying to get the latest git my pull failed and message told me to "stash" my changes. I have no idea what stash is but I found it in git menu and applied it to my UnitInfos XML file. Now my git pull was successful but to my annoyance I discovered that pull simply overwritten my change. WHat can I do to get all the latest git changes but still keep my small modifications?

6. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

You need to edit GlodalDefinesAlt xml file found in

C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Gold\Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization\Assets

... if you don't use Steam that is...

7. Leon Michiel

Leon Michiel Chieftain

I haven't done any early games with v.1.15 yet, so I have no ideas on how this affects early games. But on the conquest civic, is the -50% growth rate perhaps not too harsh? For me it doesn't make 'sense' to begin with, what does conquest have to do with the rate of urbanization? Was eternal Rome not founded on conquest, and only declined because of a lack of inflow of slaves and loot? Furthermore, the lack of other significant benefits should be enough to balance it out? The growth rate penalty seems overly harsh to me.

8. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Look at git as a tool to handle differences between files: there is the base state A you originally checked out some time ago. Now you went ahead and made changes to it, creating state B1, but at the same time I made different changes in the online repo creating state B2. If you want to get from A -> B2 you can pull without issues, because they derive directly from each other. On the other hand, you cannot go from B1 -> B2 because one is not the precursor to the other, instead they both diverged from A.

This is why Git asks you what to do in this case. "Stashing" means putting the changes you made locally into temporary storage (think of it as Ctrl+X) so that you're back on A again and my B1 can be applied without issue. Your changes are not gone, only stashed. You can get them back to apply them again on top of my newest state with an operation called "stash pop" (i.e. Ctrl+V), not sure where to find that in the interface though. This might still result in a conflict in the file, depending on my changes (probably not in your case). In this case you need to edit the file to resolve the conflict.

You would need to do this every time you do a pull. The alternative is to commit your changes, and then do a git pull --rebase. This will get you immediately to the conflict resolution.

9. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Thank you! I like explanations like this -- very clear.

I am pretty sure you also wrote some clear instruction about how this whole merging of pull request magic works, could some one show me where? This morning I was checking Atlas Elephant's strategy and noticed it fails to mention that Phoenixian UU has extra MP compared to War Elephant, on top of the Shock promotion, mentioned in Pedia. I thought, perhaps, instead of reporting simple things like this I could contribute by editing text files at least (I think this one must be in Pedia Strategy somewhere in Assets/Texts). Will you approve pull requests so minor or should I collect many changes like this to bundle them together? I think I need to register on git, right? Another thing I wanted to change is the way Pedia fails to show GP yields right next to the top central picture, next to the culture yields. But that one I will not even know where to find to edit...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Rodnok, 1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Actually I prefer pull requests that are small. Many small pull requests are better than one big one because I can merge the ones that are ready to merge and request changes for others if necessary for some reason.

Here is everything I wrote about working with Git. You need to sign up on Github and then create your own copy of my repository (called a fork). I also recommend to make a distinct branch for every change you make. Once you're done, you can create a pull request from the feature branch in your fork against the develop branch in my repo.

Looking forward to your contributions.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  11. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

I found a thread from a while back talking about adding more indy cities at 3000 BC, but I came into a bit of trouble of some being 2 tiles away from the spawn of other civs. Is there any way to make Indy cities spawn at the beginning of the first turn instead of the end of it

EDIT: Greece always has control of Knossos when the Phonecians spawn, meaning they never go and found Carthage. How would I go about making Carthage spawn with Open Borders with Greece?

EDIT2: I think I found something: iCarthage.signOpenBorders(iGreece), Now I just need to figure out where to put this to get it to be signed when AI Carthage founds their first city.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  12. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Emperor

Code:
    def onCityBuilt(self, argsList):
    That's in CvRFCEventHandler.py. There's already a section for Carthage, so you could just go "if gc.getGame().getGameTurn() <= getTurnForYear(afewyearsaftercarthagespawns)" and then put your forced open borders under that, maybe. They'll get open borders when they found their first city, and the gameturn check ensures that it doesn't happen every time they found a new city.

1SDAN likes this.
  13. alexey795

alexey795 Chieftain

upload_2017-12-25_19-28-30.jpeg
    there are 13 barbarians on the screen,
    the same number i killed before,
    is it fair enough not allow me,
    to develop Boston from 1394,
    all i need is extra 1 fur,
    but they went crazy there at all.

14. Fresol

Fresol Angry Halfling in Green

Well you should thank them for giving you GG points.

15. Alexius08

Alexius08 Emperor

Is anyone else disappointed at the performance of AI Russia and AI Portugal when it comes to settling cities? In v 1.14, Portugal settles a second city (either Funchal or Ponta Delgada) right after it spawns; Russia, several Siberian cities as soon as they drive out the Mongols. At the latest git release, AI Russia never expands past the Ural Mountains unless you're playing from the 1700 AD scenario, and AI Portugal seems to wait to get Exploration/Cartography before it founds its second city. Other AIs seem to expand slower than they used to do in older versions as well, but those two were the worst affected.

1SDAN likes this.
  16. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Not sure if they had the same problem in 1.14 but AI America doesn't seem to like to settle the area between California and the Midwest. The really hilly region.

17. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Why do civs only start producing Workers in their capital after a 3000BC spawn after they reach 3 Pop? I thought it was optimal to build a worker right away?

18. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Stalin and Starlight, Stalling a Stallion

Because the AI plays sub-optimally, or what some programmers at Firaxis assumed to be good strategy based on their knowledge of the game a decade ago. It is decent enough strategy to start off spamming a few warriors if you are playing against opportunistic unpredictable ruthless human opponents though.'

19. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I do it with pop 2 at least. Right away usually takes 16 turns and pop 2 takes 10 turns.

20. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

It depends on the region for me, if there are already nice tiles that can be worked without improving I wait for a little growth. For example if there's already a tile that gives 3 food, instead of spending food on the worker I prefer to grow the city first. Especially if there's a helpful building from the start like monuments/cemeteries in the original history rewritten.