Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

The slave unit in the game is meant to represent the Atlantic slave trade, for other historical forms of slave labour please adopt the Slavery civic.
True for Mali, Congo and maybe Moors, but Ethiopia is a bit far from Atlantic, and triangular trade of slaves.

What is your point?

Hahaha what about the Hebrews and Moses?
P.S. Btw it tell me access denied when I try to get to the webpage

Hate to break it to you, but the Bible is full of lies and untruths, as holy books generally are.

Then just google it yourself.

Hate to break it to you, but the Bible is full of lies and untruths, as holy books generally are.

Then just google it yourself.
Of course, I'm not a Religion fanatic but I'm Orthodox.
For example I am pretty sure the world was created by the Big Bang and not God.
Anyway, even the Bible contains some truths. I mean it is very likely that the Hebrew people where a minority that was used as slaves in Egypt and then they had enough and founded their own kingdom in the Levant. It is likely that Moses didn't exist but there is proof that the kingdom of Israel did exist.
I mean you can't deny that Solomon didn't exist, there even is a temple named after him (though now it's just a wall.)

Moderator Action: End of Bible debate.

True for Mali, Congo and maybe Moors, but Ethiopia is a bit far from Atlantic, and triangular trade of slaves.

The Atlantic slave trade did involve a lot of persons enslaved in east Africa (although more further south than Ethiopia - mostly around modern Mozambique). But I do agree with the critique that the slaves captured by Ethiopia are captured too early to be applicable to the Atlantic slave trade anyway. It feels like maybe slave captures shouldn't happen before maybe the 1300s if they aren't going to be usable before then anyway. Maybe set it to match the same time as the earliest date for conquerors to spawn in the Americas (which I think is tied to the Aztec spawn date).

I already made a note to that effect.

Not necessarily, but I have no big changes in mind. I want to replace corporations outright by a different system, if that counts.

Nope.

I know that the Polynesian civs are deliberately turned off because they are unstable. I just want to ask how unstable are they? Is it because of their different way of growing leading to them to do very poor choices or is it because of their bad pathfinding?

I know that the Polynesian civs are deliberately turned off because they are unstable. I just want to ask how unstable are they? Is it because of their different way of growing leading to them to do very poor choices or is it because of their bad pathfinding?
I might be wrong but I noticed in just about every game I played the AI doesn't really understand how to move units in a boat and unload them off shore.
So that's probably the case with Polynesia.

I got Polynesia pretty good in my DCR mod IIRC. I believe all it took was removing the minimum value needed to settle a tile from the Polynesian AI. They ended up behaving rather historically and dynamically, rarely if ever completed their expansion too.

Last edited:
I might be wrong but I noticed in just about every game I played the AI doesn't really understand how to move units in a boat and unload them off shore.
So that's probably the case with Polynesia.
Hmm, that's sad. When you meant the AI do you refer only to the Polynesian AI or the AI of all the civs in this modmod?

All civs are bad in navigating and ferrying units from one landmass to another. But obviously this impacts the Polynesian AI more heavily than the others.

All civs are bad in navigating and ferrying units from one landmass to another. But obviously this impacts the Polynesian AI more heavily than the others.
The main issue the Polynesian AI has is less about navigating and ferrying units and more about the fact that their expansion north and east relies on them settling islands that have literally zero value outside of covering tiles that allow you to reach actually good islands for settlement.

Yes when I say this I mean all the civs, not only from DoC from every single mod and from Vanilla, BtS, and Warlords as well.
Well, there's Fall From Heaven II's More Naval AI modmod. In my experience it does make true on the promise of its name. I was bittersweetly surprised a few times when an AI conducted a successful surprise naval invasion against me. The AI is also way more competent at settling islands and other continents. Maybe that mod holds the answer for our problems.

The K-Mod/AdvCiv AI is significantly better at conducting naval invasions at least. No idea how that translates to the settlement AI though.

Top Bottom