1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn of Civilization v1.12 Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julius Americus

Julius Americus Chieftain

Here's a thought I had while playing Holy Rome last night:

I had conquered the holy land and sent a settler over to make a nice little path through Suez but, before I could, the plot I wanted to settle flipped to the Arabs.
    I still had my settler but now had nothing useful to do with it.
    So I thought it might be a cool mechanic if settlers could be "settled" into a city. Jerusalem certainly could have used the population/Holy Roman culture. It makes sense, because building a settler halts the growth of the "mother" city. I think it could be a really interesting and probably fairly realistic way to shift population.

Thoughts?

2. calad

calad Emperor

Nice idea.

3. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

It could be exploited though. Imagine you have enough settlers to give a newly found city 10 population. That's not really accurate.

4. Julius Americus

True, that would be excessive. But what if there were a turn-limit on it. Something like how you can only draft one population per turn, you could only settle one settler in a city per turn.
    The amount of time a "turn" represents would make this fairly realistic.

5. Eric Cartmenez

Eric Cartmenez Warlord

There is no need to settle a city at Suez, if U have enough culture, U can build a fort on that tile /I think they are 2 possible tiles, definitely the one on the hill and maybe another one in the adjactent tile/ and ships can pass through.

6. Julius Americus

A fort doesn't guarantee cultural control, at least as far as I know.

But that wasn't the point of my post. The point was my suggestion about the duel function of settlers.

7. Shadow Warlord

Shadow Warlord Warlord

I could see the number of settlers settling in a city being limited by a certain pop cap, like 5 or 6, to keep it from being OP, or a certain amount of turns before you can settle in again. I think the main purpose of it would be to keep your conquered cities from being staggered at 1 pop for the longest time while you try to develop it.

8. calad

calad Emperor

This, you can set limit that city size of x cant be settled further.

Also has there been discussion of being able to build hammer caravan that behaves like a small great engineer? Some cities simply have horrible production and to make this not so exploitative caravan of 100 hammer would cost 200 hammer.

How does it sound?

9. Meisterjaeger77

Meisterjaeger77 Chieftain

Cute idea. Hope this get some love!

10. LacsiraxAriscal

LacsiraxAriscal Below Settler

There's already an equivalent in Rise of Mankind, the trade caravan (which can also do a mini Great Merchant mission).

11. Daffy

Daffy Prince

I'd certainly like something like that :)
    Both ideas would imo nicely represent how historically many colonies were supplied and supported by the motherland.

12. calad

calad Emperor

It could also be used to support main land cities but some tweaking is needed so player would not stack 10 of them in capital and build every wonder on first turn (like you can use it only once in a turn or x number of truns need to pass before you can use it again). Also it does not need to be a caravan but a ship as well...

13. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

How about instead of adding a flat population point they add a specific amount of food?

14. mitsuko

mitsuko Chieftain

Does Italy only spawn in the 12th century or will they spawn later on if the conditions are met? I'm in the 16th century and trying to spawn Italy but it's not happening. I keep capturing the cities on the Italian peninsula and granting them independence but Italy isn't spawning. They just keep getting captured by other civs and then I have to recapture them. It's really annoying.

15. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

No matter if their initial spawn occurs, Italy can also respawn in a timeframe that is appropriate for Italian reunification (19th century).

16. mitsuko

mitsuko Chieftain

Ok thanks. I guess I'll just let France and Holy Rome keep fighting over Italy for the time being then :lol:

17. Sgt. Bears

Sgt. Bears Warlord

What is the base production cost of a settler that all the modifiers are applied to?

18. Leoreth

Look up the XML and multiply the game speed, map size and handicap modifiers.

19. Sgt. Bears

Sgt. Bears Warlord

Sorry, should have clarified the XML says the cost is 0. But Rhye must have implemented that not you.

20. Leoreth

Really? Then I don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.