Dawn of Civilization v1.12 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again Leoreth,

Me and Sinsyne were talking about his story on S&T and then a question arose which I wanted to check with you.

We were discussing the Stability in DoC 1.12, specifically about the Foreign Tab.

There he is enjoying a great bonus, probably because of the good number of OBs he has, several of those with civs that have a different State Religion, and only a few civs that appear on the bottom-right list he doesn't have OB with.

Then my question came: When calculating this part of the Stability, how exactly a civ with OB and a civ without OB are accounted?

In the guide you say that for every second civilization you can contact, you lose 1 point. What exactly is a civ you can contact? Is it a civ that appears on the bottom-right list? Is it a civ which you had contact at least once in the game? Is it any civ currently alive in the game, independently from any contact our two nations might have had?

And about OBs? Do civs that aren't on the bottom-right list, but that actually do have OB with us count? Or only those on the bottom-right list with OB that count?

The reason why I'm presuming all this is that when I was summarizing the specifics of the Caliphate, I saw that even though we didn't have contact with some nations (e.g. France, Indonesia), we still got the gold they paid us in deals we made when we had contact with each other. So our Trade Deals were still active, even though we couldn't contact each other anymore. So if these deals were active, I imagine OBs keep alive when nations lose contact.

So how exactly is this mechanic applied?

Deals remain in effect even if contact is cut.

For stability, only civs you have contact with have an effect, and contact means that you can contact them diplomatically. So yes, it's the civs displayed in your scoreboard.

So the best thing is to get OBs with civs and then lose contact with them? If we lose contact, we keep the OB and they can't end the deal, so we actually are benefitting from the bonus, but not suffering the penalty of civs which we can contact. That may lead to some undesired exploits.

I think with "For stability, only civs you have contact with have an effect" he might have meant that OB only has an effect while you're able to contact the civ in question.

I think with "For stability, only civs you have contact with have an effect" he might have meant that OB only has an effect while you're able to contact the civ in question.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

I guess.

Hello Leoreth, maybe this has been already fixed in SVN editions, but I'm playing the vanilla DoC 1.12, just want to ask ... while playing as Mughals when facing the British conquerors, in some occasions they appear right on a jungle tile - usually near Colcatta or Madras, so even though military prepared for them, one can't attack them and looses the city after their siege weapons attack, is this intentional?

Hello Leoreth, maybe this has been already fixed in SVN editions, but I'm playing the vanilla DoC 1.12, just want to ask ... while playing as Mughals when facing the British conquerors, in some occasions they appear right on a jungle tile - usually near Colcatta or Madras, so even though military prepared for them, one can't attack them and looses the city after their siege weapons attack, is this intentional?

This is already fixed in the SVN. With the update, you can attack units on jungle tiles, but your units can't proceed to that tile.

This doesn't make much sense, does it?

The alternative on the other hand would be very annoying when all trade deals are cancelled whenever you randomly lose contact with a civ. That can even happen while you literally have a unit next to their borders, it happens regularly I notice I no longer have France or India or whoever on the score table and then I move my galley/axemen I stationed there by one tile to get contact again.

Yeah, that's the problem. The only sensible solution is to change the communications code so that civs you do not have deals with are preferred when cutting contact.

would not be possible to add new food resources like potato? for historic accuracy it seems to be a hiatus.

There have been a lot of excitement when Polynesia came around. But after so many months they still stay on their island, I doubt anyone ever seeing them populating the Pacific. Perhaps Polynesian AI can be tweaked somehow to sail away their initial island and explore around?

Polynesia was designed as a human-only civ. That's why they're disabled by default.

Even if they had improved AI, what good would that do? They'd still never have an influence on the world outside their own territory, and they'd still never be powerful enough to stop other civs from colonizing the Pacific islands.

Civilizations are not balanced to face each other. Polynesians are tricky because they were isolated, had no technical progress and had no cities.

Happy Easter everyone.

May I have a question concerning Brazilian UHV v1.12? ... haven't tried the 600AD scenario, just 1700AD, in this case none civilization is willing to trade or sell slaves to me, despite "Pleased" relations, despite running "Slavery" ... At least three civilizations usually have slaves at the time, but everytime they say "We will have nothing to gain". Is there some problem with civics I'm running: Dynactism-Absolutism-Slavery-Mercantilism or Guilds-Organized Religion-Standing Armies? Any suggestions? Not want to capture eastern African cities for this purpose.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, there were some bugs with the slave trade AI in 1.12 which were only solved during the 1.13 development process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom