Dawn of the British Empire [BNW]

Whitersnake

Chieftain
The year is 4,000 B.C. Around the world, 43 groups of nomadic tribes decide that the time has come to cease their wandering. They settle down, ready to begin a new chapter of their common history. As they, for the first time in history, build permanent structures and begin to shape the world around them, Civilization is born.

Our story concerns the tale of one of these nations. A simple band, not yet different from any of the other groups that settle down around the world, the descendants of these men and women will one day control an empire so huge that even the sun itself cannot find its edge. These are the Britons, and this is their story.

Spoiler :

Hi guys! I’m starting a text and picture Let’s Play that will follow my adventures as I lead the industrious nation of England to control a mighty empire. I will be using the (very awesome) Yet (Not) Another Earth Map mod which will allow me to play a game of 43 civilizations on a real-world map using true-start locations. I will be playing as England (Obviously) and, rather than going for a simple victory, will be attempting to complete my own victory conditions:
1) Territories controlled by the British Empire must be under English control when the game is won. Puppets, allied city states, and actual colonies all count for this purpose.
2) The vile French must be destroyed!
3) That goes for the Celts as well.
4) At least one major Chinese city must be puppeted by the British when the game is won.
5) Once these conditions are fulfilled, any victory condition will do.

I look forward to sharing my adventures with you!

A note on strategy:
So, this will obviously be a fairly challenging game. I need to beat 43 other civs at SOMETHING and, though the Giant Earth Map is pretty darn big, 43 civs should fill it up rather nicely (especially in Europe). Further, the new patch makes wide empires (which mine certainly will be!) a rather costly proposition; my tech costs will, closer to the end of the game, be rather astronomical. As such, I must consider my strategy carefully. Early expansion will hurt me more than it helps, but if I wait too long before colonizing I will find it much harder to make progress. As such, I have the following plan.

First, a strong religion will be crucial for my success. Happiness and gold production could go through the roof with the right combination of religious beliefs, so I want to make sure to found an early religion. The Celts, of all the various civs, are probably my biggest competition for this goal. As such, I plan on building a monument right away (no sense wasting time scouting my tiny shared island) while beelining Calendar. When Pottery is done, I’ll pop a shrine and wait for my free worker from the Liberty tree. I’ll build Stonehenge (which I should be able to do, even with this many civs competing for it; England is filled with forests). Aside from a quick detour for Mining (so that my worker can actually do something) and Archery (which I will come back to momentarily), I will then focus on Optics so that I can score the Great Lighthouse – British ships with a Great Lighthouse are simply amazing. Meanwhile, I should pop out my Liberty settler and a few warriors and archers, then declare war on the Celts. If done right, I should be able to stop them from settling a second city (hopefully scoring a free worker as well), at which point I will conquer their capital using archers and warriors. Once the British Isles are secure and a third city is built upon them, I will reevaluate my position and determine my next goal.

Of course, things ALWAYS go wrong in Civ. So we’ll see how close to perfect I can get!

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    Civ5Screen0006.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,573
  • Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,609
The First 10 Turns

The first 10 turns were, surprisingly, quite eventful. Soon after founding my city, my squadron of warriors spotted a set of ruins. As he moved in to claim them and the 90 gold that lay within, he noticed a group of warriors coming in from the north. Introductions followed, and I met Boudicca:

Spoiler :

As my warriors continued exploring the isle, they spotted yet another group of warriors across the channel:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

They then proceeded to claim another set of ruins, which contained a stash of ancient pickaxes! My civilization had discovered mining, far ahead of schedule. Soon, Boudicca founded the first pantheon of the game (God-King). Luckily, this is not the pantheon that I was shooting for anyways; and on the same turn, I discovered Pottery. My monument finished, I began constructing a shrine and researching Calendar.

The ruins containing Mining were truly an epic stroke of luck. I now have no necessary techs between me and Calendar; once I pick that up, I can detour to Archery and then focus on Optics. Boudicca's warrior is sticking around my border, which means that my warrior should be able to slip past her borders to check for ruins on the northern edge of the islands. Things are going well!

Subbed. Good to see a screenshot let's play for once. Good luck!

Btw, why does it say "There is no scene loaded for this leader" on Napoleon's leader screen?

Edit: Just noticed these were your first two posts here. Welcome to Civfanatics!

Thank you, thank you! I've actually lurked for ages but this is the first time I've been inspired to post. Actually I couldn't find a good pic-based LP to read through and got really annoyed, so I decided to make my own!

When you mod Civ to let you load more than 22 leaders, the leaderheads of players 23-43 don't show up. There's a workaround mod which I downloaded that replaces leaders 23-43 with static versions of themselves, but it means that the first 21 leaders (since 1 is the player) have that little blurb of text.

I'll be reading this. Glad to see another story in the middle of all these video LPs. It's an interesting idea too, good luck!

Looking forward to more of this! Cool concept about the self-imposed victory conditions.

When you mod Civ to let you load more than 22 leaders, the leaderheads of players 23-43 don't show up. There's a workaround mod which I downloaded that replaces leaders 23-43 with static versions of themselves, but it means that the first 21 leaders (since 1 is the player) have that little blurb of text.

I see. That is alot of civs.

Originally, I intended to update here every ten turns or so. Yeah, about that. I got a bit carried away and ended up playing till turn 70. So, here's a huge update!

In the race to build Stonehenge, especially with 42 other contenders, every turn counts. Being able to shave off a dozen turns or so by skipping the construction of a settler is certainly very, very helpful. Enter Republic!

Spoiler :

My hard work pays off. I may have chopped half the forests around London to achieve this, but I built the Stonehenge!

Spoiler :

Originally, I had planned to slip past Boudicca and try to snag some ruins up north. That sneaky witch saw this coming, though, and expanded her borders to block me! Of course, her sneaky wit didn't carry so far as to protect her settler:

Spoiler :

Soon the Celts were down one settler and I was up one worker. Hooray for the British Empire!

The Celts found a pantheon, taking absolutely none of the beliefs I care about:

Spoiler :

I enter a Golden Age, discover Optics, and start building the Great Lighthouse (after quickly hammering out two archers). Some time earlier, I also founded my own pantheon: Messengers of the Gods (to offset the tech cost of having many cities)

Spoiler :

The war against the Celts begins in earnest:

Spoiler :

Turn 71 finds me victorious. The Celts are defeated, their capital mine; construction of the Great Lighthouse is nearly completed. All is well in the British Empire!

The next step, I think, is to send my remaining units out to scout. They'll embark and travel along the coast, one south to the Mediterranean, one north-west towards Scandinavia, and one north-east towards Russia. We'll see what I can find!

Great job so far! You took out the Celts fast.

Random question: I built a trade ship in London but it cannot trade with Amsterdam, which is literally 3 coastal tiles away (2 of which are under my control and 1 of which is under theirs). We're not at war, nor do we have a pact of friendship (though I can't trade with Spain, either, with whom I am friends). What's going on? Do I need Open Borders with them now? Is the game considering the British Channel (which is 1 tile wide at some points) to be separating England into its own continent?

EDIT: Also, is it ironic that I fought the Catholic Celts so that I could spread Protestanism throughout the land?

Random question: I built a trade ship in London but it cannot trade with Amsterdam, which is literally 3 coastal tiles away (2 of which are under my control and 1 of which is under theirs). We're not at war, nor do we have a pact of friendship (though I can't trade with Spain, either, with whom I am friends). What's going on? Do I need Open Borders with them now? Is the game considering the British Channel (which is 1 tile wide at some points) to be separating England into its own continent?

I'm not sure. I'm still fairly new to BNW. Are there any ocean tiles that could be in the way?

Also, is it ironic that I fought the Catholic Celts so that I could spread Protestanism throughout the land?

I guess it is. :D

EDIT: It could be that if there is even one ocean tile through which the trade route would go, that it won't let you start it. Even if there is another way around, the trade route might have a specific way it would go, where there might be an ocean tile blocking it. Just a theory.

I'm not sure. I'm still fairly new to BNW. Are there any ocean tiles that could be in the way?

I guess it is. :D

EDIT: It could be that if there is even one ocean tile through which the trade route would go, that it won't let you start it. Even if there is another way around, the trade route might have a specific way it would go, where there might be an ocean tile blocking it. Just a theory.

There aren't any ocean tiles, though. The British channel and the entire North Sea are coastal tiles. I don't know why it's not working, which is frustrating because I'm pretty low on gold (Aside from fur, England doesn't have any gold-yielding tiles)

Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. But you could ask about it in this thread.

Yes, a bug for sure. Denmark is sending trade cogs to me, and they're much further and harder to reach than the Netherlands. I'll post a question.

Uh-oh, this is a big bug. Turns out that the fall patch broke the 43 Civ DLL which is what allowed me to play on the giant earth map using 43 civs instead of 22. It also broke the 22 and 28 and 34 civ DLLs. Trading, espionage, and the world congress are all broken (with the World Congress completely preventing you from moving onto new turns). So I'll need to start over, with only 22 Civs. I'll be starting later today, I hope. Most of the 22 civs are gonna be random but I'm open to suggestions as to some of them; I know I want the US, India, and France in the game so that I can conquer them :D

Uh-oh, this is a big bug. Turns out that the fall patch broke the 43 Civ DLL which is what allowed me to play on the giant earth map using 43 civs instead of 22. It also broke the 22 and 28 and 34 civ DLLs. Trading, espionage, and the world congress are all broken (with the World Congress completely preventing you from moving onto new turns). So I'll need to start over, with only 22 Civs. I'll be starting later today, I hope. Most of the 22 civs are gonna be random but I'm open to suggestions as to some of them; I know I want the US, India, and France in the game so that I can conquer them :D

Here's a list of Civs I like to play with on a 22-civ TSL map. Pick and choose the ones you'd prefer:
#1 - America
#2 - The Shoshone
#3 - The Maya OR The Aztecs
#4 - The Inca
#5 - Brazil
#6 - England
#7 - France
#8 - Poland
#9 - Russia
#10 - Sweden
#11 - Byzantium
#12 - Egypt
#13 - Carthage
#14 - The Zulu
#15 - Ethiopia
#16 - The Songhai
#17 - Arabia
#18 - India
#19 - China
#20 - The Mongols
#21 - Siam
#22 - ...and then either Indonesia, Polynesia, Persia/Assyria/Babylon, Morocco, The Huns, or The Celts, depending on which areas you feel need more "representation".

Here's the list I'll be using. I'm gonna choose civs that I think fit the British Empire time period.
#1 - England, me
#2 - The Shoshone
#3 - The Maya
#4 - The Inca
#5 - Brazil
#6 - America (AKA the 13 colonies)
#7 - France
#8 - Poland
#9 - Russia
#10 - Sweden
#11 - Celts (Doesn't fit Colonial Britain time period but I need to conquer them in the early game)
#12 - Morocco (fits better than Egypt for the North Africa slot)
#13 - Aztec
#14 - The Zulu
#15 - Ethiopia
#16 - The Songhai
#17 - Arabia
#18 - India
#19 - China
#20 - Indonesia
#21 - Siam
#22 - Polynesia

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Iriquois instead of America? (Since the British would've conquered native Americans, not the U.S.)

I'd sub the Aztec out for Egypt...remember, Britain occupied most of Egypt during the late 19th century to keep the Suez Canal safe!

I ended up subbing in Iroquois for... well, someone, but I kept America. Don't remember whom. And while I know that England controlled Egypt (which was a big deal during WWII) the Egyptians at that time have more in common (culturally, and probably ethnically too) with Saladin's Arabia than with Ramses's Egypt.

Top Bottom