Dawn of the British Empire [BNW]

The requisite mods have been deactivated, the new game has been made, and a few millenniums have been played. Time for the update!

Spoiler :

Once again, I am playing as Queen Elizabeth of the British Empire.

Spoiler :

London is founded in place, and the warrior heads north to grab any ruins in the center of Enlgand before the dirty Celts can steal them.

Spoiler :

Speak of the devil...

Spoiler :

The Celtic warriors try to swoop a set of ruins from my noble warriors!

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

But England's heroic defenders are too quick for them. Huzzah!

I use the culture I get from the ruins to unlock Liberty again. That free worker is a lifesaver when going for two early wonders, even if I only have 21 competitors now. Besides, with the number of cities I hope to have I'm gonna need Liberty.

Spoiler :

My warrior heads south to search for more ruins and I spot the French south of the channel again...

Spoiler :

I score a bit of gold from the ruins, which I save in order to purchase an archer later on.

Spoiler :

This time, I grab Republic instead of the free worker. Without the free Mining tech, my worker won't actually be able to DO anything; so instead I grab Republic, finish up Calendar, start Stonehenge, and then research Mining. That means I have some time before I need my worker; time during which +1 hammers is gonna be really nice.

Spoiler :

Boudica offers to give me gold in exchange for an embassy. I accept; I can use that gold to buy an archer sooner.

Spoiler :

I successfully trap her warrior on the little peninsula to the south, eliminating him from the war that I know will follow soon!

Spoiler :

Citizenship and its free worker arrive...

Spoiler :

Napoleon aids the war effort....

Spoiler :

And I complete Stonehenge!!!

Spoiler :

The next turn, I get my pantheon.

Spoiler :

Boudica tries to send out a settler! This time, she actually protects him with a warrior...

Spoiler :

I declare war, hoping to scare her settler off while reinforcements arrive.

Spoiler :

My plan fails, and Dublin rises. My forces head over to destroy the vile city.

Spoiler :

Napoleon decides to piss me off and place himself next on my list.

Spoiler :

As the siege of Dublin continues, I am aided by a surprising ally: Barbarian pirates! They raid Dublin, weakening its defenses.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

That turn, I also discover Optics and begin construction of the Great Lighthouse.

The Celts found a religion, stealing my favorite belief (+2 Gold per city)

Spoiler :

I have my revenge within a few turns:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I then complete the Lighthouse!

Spoiler :

More good news that same turn: A prophet!

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The veterans of the Celtic Wars head North, traveling past barbarian-infested Greenland in order to cross over to America.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I'm not the only one doing unlikely exploring: A tan/yellow galley soon makes its way past London.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, I finish the Liberty tree and start one of my favorite combos:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Normally I use the Hagia Sophia, but this time I was so close to a GP anyhow I thought I'd try something different. It worked fairly well; I spread Protestantism far and wide that day. A few turns later, I enhanced it:

Spoiler :

Not a fantastic belief group, but I was kinda late when it came to religion. It's hard when you aren't meeting any city-states or popping huts.

The next few turns involved my scouting missionaries paying off:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I also met Morocco and a bunch of city-states. I sent a galley to explore the Mediterranean, but forgot to take screenshots. Up north, though...

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Now that my preliminary scouting is done and my economy is in order (my happiness is in the green and, thanks to 3 trade routes, I'm making 47 gold per turn) it's time to turn my attention to war. While France makes an attractive target, I'm also getting about 10 beakers per turn from my trade routes with them. So instead, I'm going to conquer Barcelona, which lies by the Straights of Gibraltar. From there I'll send a few land units to take Madrid, at which point I'll be able to open two fronts with France. With France and Spain gone, I'll control the entrance to the Mediterranean along with Western Europe. A quick settler dropped off at Suez and my control of the seas will be unrivaled! Mwahahahaha!

Subbed for life. Or until this ends...Nice to see some stories, even nicer to see a good one, I will be following closely...

Too bad the other one messed up, but good job so far on this one.

And good luck!

Proceeding nicely! The France-Spain combination should make for some interesting conflicts on mainland Europe that Britain might want to...intervene...in.

The exploration of the Americas continues. Soon, I meet the Iroquois who have built the Great Wall to protect their territory from Washington.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Conquering Canada is going to be a major pain...

I make friends with Poland and sign some treaties that will help me out in the near future.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Back in America, I meet some more natives. It seems that none of the inhabitants of North America have founded a religion; I'll be sending a missionary or three over as soon as I research Astronomy. If I can get them spreading Protestantism around, my treasury will be very happy.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I prepare for war with Spain by denouncing them. The next turn, they denounce me back.

Spoiler :

As my ships position themselves outside of Barcelona, France enters a new age. I send my spies to France to see if I can bank on their success.

Spoiler :

In America, I meet Pacal. He did found a religion, and spread it to Montezuma. I shall have to colonize the competition as soon as I can, I suppose.

Spoiler :

Poland declares that they concur with my assessment: Spain does, indeed, suck balls.

Spoiler :

America throws down their support as well:

Spoiler :

I decide to do something about it:

Spoiler :

As the war continues, I learn that Napoleon is plotting against me! I decide to make him my next target:

Spoiler :

Barcelona falls before me, but Madrid is too far from the coast. I will need to raise an army.

Spoiler :

Spain decides that I cannot have Barcelona:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Half a turn later, though, I retake Barcelona, wipe out the Spanish army, and force Isabella to pay me tribute:

Spoiler :

In America, I meet some more natives:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Since I now know that France is plotting against me, I take matters into my own hands. I make quick work of Lyons.

Spoiler :

Poland doesn't like this:

Spoiler :

Still, they cannot help the French.

Spoiler :

I prepare my navy to capture or raze the rest of Napoleon's coastal towns while building up an army to take Paris and Madrid.

Highly-promoted Galleasses turning into SotLs...that's gonna be interesting!

The war with France goes very well indeed. Technically their army is superior, but nothing can stand up to the British Royal Navy!

Spoiler :

Napoleon seems to realize this and does what the French do best.

Spoiler :

Along with the awesome city of Orleans, he gives me a backwater city that I quickly burn to the ground.

Spoiler :

Isabella decides that she wants in on this action and declares on Napoleon. Of course, since I took Orleans, she has no way of actually reaching Paris, so her army loiters around south of Orleans.

Spoiler :

I steal a tech (Chivalry) from Napoleon, to add insult to injury:

Spoiler :

As I set up for the invasion of Paris which will arrive in 10 turns, Morocco and the Zulu denounce me... Not many friends left for Britain. But that's OK, my Navy is the only friend I need!

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Soon, though, I attack the French. Brussels, Napoleon's lapdog, declares on me too. Since they're in the way of my longbowmen, I conquer them. Paris soon follows.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Meanwhile, the rest of the world decides that I'm having too much fun:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Shaka gets in on the fun by taking Morocco's capital. I am still not certain of whether I will liberate it or not; Morocco DID denounce me.

Spoiler :

Right after Paris falls, Isabella's army makes a strong push against Orleans. With my navy up near Paris, I am unable to stop her advance, though I retake Orleans after only a single turn.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Poland decides that they want their asses kicked too:

Spoiler :

I burn down France's second to last city. They have a new city, no more than 3 or 4 turns old, somewhere in the fog; but with two real wars, I can't be bothered to track them down. So after burning down Tours I make peace with Napoleon.

My newly-formed land army is now heading down to take out Madrid. This should be easy; Spain has exactly one conquistador and not much else. I'll probably send my navy (which now consists of three Gallelas with the Range promotion, a few Coastal Raider galleys, and some greener Gallelas) to bully Poland into surrendering. Meanwhile, I researched Printing Press and am finishing up Astronomy so that I can quickly send someone over to Asia and found the World Congress.

Nice update. Looks like the world is starting to hate you.

Are you sure starting the World Congress asap is a good idea? With that many enemies you might get hit with luxuries banned or Standing Army Tax. Founding it would help, but if you have the tech lead you might want to wait a bit.

I don't have the tech lead; someone built Globe Theater a few turns ago. I need to meet everyone ASAP before anyone else does.

EDIT: I should probably wipe out Napoleon completely so that he doesn't get a vote...

Subbed. This is highly entertaining, good stuff.

*slow, quiet chanting* update, update, update... *slow, quiet chanting*

Hey guys, I was planning on doing an update last weekend but ended up going on a ski trip! I'm gonna try to do one tonight or within the coming week.

The Polish make their assault on the captured city-state of Brussels, bringing quite the force to the war front.

Spoiler :

With a heavy push, they are able to liberate the city-state! Having only captured it because it was in my way when I attacked France, I don't mind too much.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, an engineer is born in London! I save him for now.

Spoiler :

The war goes much better in Spain, on the other hand. Soon, the Spanish capital falls before me and Isabella is no more!

Spoiler :

Up near Poland, I capture Lodz and puppet it. With my happiness at a record low, I decide to give it right back to Poland in exchange for peace.

Spoiler :

Rebels appear on the British Isles, the first hostile forces there since the elimination of the Celts. They are killed without much ado.

Spoiler :

A few more civs decide to join in on the fun:

Spoiler :

Three of these civs are, of course, all the way in the New World and thus of little concern to me. Shaka's deceleration, however, serves as an opportunity to eliminate a hated rival. The Spanish army embarks and makes its way across the Straits of Gibraltar in order to liberate Morocco from Shaka's hordes.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, I meet some more friends!

Spoiler :

As Shaka's horde pours into North Africa to fight off my longbowmen, the British fleet arrives, having recently dispatched yet another French city. Soon, Morocco is liberated!

Spoiler :

Shaka mobilizes a massive fleet, but it serves only to allow even more of my ships to reach Range and Logistics. Soon my fleet is all but unstoppable!

Spoiler :

The American civs, it appears, only declared war on me because someone asked him to. The moment he can, they offer me their surrender:

Spoiler :

I take all of Pacal's gold and resources rather than his crappy city, of course.

The Royal Navy makes its way down the West African coast, taking all of Shaka's coastal cities and burning them to the ground. I plan to head to his coastal capital near Capetown, take that as well, and then offer peace in exchange for whatever gifts he can muster.

Spoiler :

Next time... The World Congress is founded!

Boy, you're building quite the empire already. Good update.

Top Bottom