1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Dawn Of The Lost Nations- Hotseat RP/Diplo Game

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by CivOasis, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

exellent.

Now of course you can do such commentary on the social group page because that is private, so perhaps you can still get your RP fix there :p.

Also just for the record, I don't intent to go Genghis Khan on the world as an aggressive conquerer. I am more interesting in the diplomatic aspect of this game and working to keep a stable system and countering challenges to that order. Basically Im looking forward to seeing how this models RL issues and how it models actions made to ensure the security of a state. Now that particlar point of the game would be rather impossible for Japan if it just went on a blatant attack on all other civilisations as diplomacy would be rather... empty :lol: .

2. dot80

dot80 Chieftain

Your bias matters not because no one can stand before the awesome might of Rome and her Legions.

3. CivOasis

CivOasis Ahuizotl

Of course, I wasn't implying Japan was militaristic (seriously), I was being tongue-in-cheek sarcastic. Yeah, I'll take the advice on that one.
    I suspect anyone aiming for a military victory might actually suffer in this game, it is a tad obvious, after all.

4. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Indeed :lol:

Actually I think a lot of civ choices were based on some sort of defensive advantage in order to counter the perceived threat from other empires. Basically its a classic attempt at balancing based on the security dillemma.

In regards to CivOasis, you are indeed correct that a state going for the military victory is likely to be countered, as the other states almost certainly will align to counter the obvious threat. Now thats not to say people in this game won't go to war for other reasons from time to time (say for a land dispute over some good land, or in regards to a long term security threat) but I don't think we will see a khan style attempt to conquer the world.

5. dot80

dot80 Chieftain

I picked Rome for the RP personally. I kinda wish I would have chosen Egypt because of the wonder trait but meh, rome is good.

6. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

eh, I kind of hope ShadowNX pulls out the "I am the god, ShadowNX," sort of thing playing on himself being pharaoh and all. Could lead to some interesting exchanges between the tenno and the pharaoh later on :lol:. Rome is good with RP as well of course, you can have a look as Sisuitls civ IV story for some inspiration with that :p

Rome is good tactically though as well, you have addressed the security dilemma with your military special units and you have the glory of Rome ability which is good for the builder civ you seem to imply your going to play.

7. dot80

dot80 Chieftain

Thats what we're leaning towards. Though this is totally oocly and tentative.

8. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

of course its tentative and ooc, the game hasn't really even begun :lol:

On my part Im still thinking on how im going to go, it will depend on where I start though I suppose. Which incidentally I should know once someone converts to the yurt-inhabiting inferior foreign nation of Mongolia and sets some orders up for the Khan. (looks at Babylon or Polynesia to provide a candidate ... )

9. dot80

dot80 Chieftain

Unlike what you say RP will make my character do things like go to war with another nation. Haha good thing there will be others to stop that. I feel like it fits Roman arrogance though.

10. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Thats you though. I still think you'll change your tune at some point. Its not like your stupid enough to go to war against an empire over an RP slight when they have twice your military for example ;) If you were to do that I would hazard a guess that the glories of Rome would be requisitioned to the nation you attacked.

11. dot80

dot80 Chieftain

True, true.

12. DefoesRightBoot

DefoesRightBoot Former Daimyo x3...

All this rhetoric is somewhat pointless, given that England will obviously dominate the entire globe not only through the might of their armies, but the extraordinary culture and science of the Kingdom. Of course, you lot can do your best diplomatically if you really think it will make a difference.

13. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Of course nations will engage in their own course in pursuit of ascendancy. However diplomacy (although it alone will never achieve victory) is vital in securing favourable conditions to victory, for any state whatsoever.

For example if England was to go for culture and science, but failed to be diplomatically astute in its dealings with other states, it could well find that it is left out of the loop and considered a valid target for territorial acquisition as a rogue within the international order, and thus a potential security risk thanks to the lack of knowledge of English intent. Not to mention a group of allies may well be compelled in this direction if in addition England is too successful and if they find that the diplomatically isolated English pie is easy pickings should it be tackled by a co-operative and united front of states.

14. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

Previously on Dawn of the Lost Nations:

Japan (Egostroking): Blah blah blah blah blah blah

Rome: I'm politely telling you to shut up, please.

Japan (Not getting the point): Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

(This continues for a bit)

England: Japan, you suck, and shut up.

Japan: Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

And now, the continuation:

Polynesia: JAPAN! SHUT UP ALREADY! GOD! NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR EGO THAT YOU MUST FUFILL BY WRITING ALL THIS CRAP! HAVE A REAL BAD BAY!

15. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Japan is bemused by the inferior foreign nation of Polynesia and laughs at its petulance. Such statements however have damaged friendly relations between Japan and Polynesia.

-

ooc: :lol:, I study international relations IRL, unfortunately considering the nature of this thread and its accordance with what I do IRL such ranting on IR theory in relation to the game was bound to occur.

16. Omega124

Oh, okay Mr. I-am-trying-to-get-every-other-nation-to-kill-Polynesia. Oh yeah, we got the document you sent to all the head of states, Emperor.

17. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

hey, I tried to get the map changed first to avoid such necessities but CivOasis said he wouldn't (although perhaps he could once again reconsider). I only sent the thing because Polynesia can just go off on its merry way off to the new world in our current terra map and no one will be able to do anything about it whatsoever leaving you to happily roll in your inferior foreign filth beyond any ability for any other empire to attack, trade with or otherwise d anything about. Ergo your existence is totally screwing the balance of the game considering the current map and giving you a massive and unfair advantage.

Now of course whoever told you of my document is an idiot since it is clear that for everyone else, that on the current map which I hope is changed, killing Polynesia before you run off over to the new world is a necessary course of action.

18. Omega124

It's mutually assured destruction if someone tries to take us on early though. If they devote too early on warfare, they will stagnate and die. Which is why you won't do the dirty work yourself. You're a coward with false milk and honey.

19. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

The reason I sent the letter was precisely that mutually assured destruction part. If all the empires around Polynesia join in the effort to extirpate your unbalanced dirge from the face of the earth it would minimise the harm to all of them (and indeed if they go a standard MP early build there should be no harm if they co-operate) and make the neccessary job far easier.

Now of course this could all be avoided absolutely if the bloody map was changed to a pangaea, continents or something that didn't screw the balance of the game so drastically in the current civilisational makeup as a terra.

20. CivOasis

CivOasis Ahuizotl

Jeez. Fine, what kind of map would people like, because that was the problem in the last thread. It was changed to Terra so that there was both colonization and a guarantee everyone would start on the same continent. If popular vote decides on one map type, I'll change it.
    Popular vote referring to all civs.