1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Day / Night Cycle - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by gunnerxtr, Oct 23, 2016.

1. gunnerxtr

gunnerxtr Chieftain

What is everyones thoughts on the day / night cycle? Are you using it? Do you like it?

I have only seen it in LP's, streams - but I don't really like it when it is the night cycle.... Kind of hard to see what's going on.

Wondering what it looks like game for those currently playing.

2. criZp

criZp Warlord

Not using it because it's a gimmich that wore off after 30 minutes of play. I got it locked at daytime

3. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

This was one of my most anticipated features, so needless to say I'm using it and I think it's awesome!

It did take me a while to get used to, because my eyes needed to adjust to the new map and the constantly changing lighting made that harder, so I used the default 11:30 setting for my first couple of hours. But since then I've switched to the cycle and can't see myself going back. The lights in the cities at night and the way the sun reflects on the water look stunning. I just love it :)

4. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

I love the day/night cycle! It's gorgeous.

5. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

It was off by default, but I turned it on. And I quite like it. It's more difficult to look at so night time can't be on constantly, but it's a nice change when it happens.

6. tompliss

tompliss Chieftain

I tried it, but felt like it reduced my ability to guess at first sight what were the tiles, so I turned it off :/

7. kampori

kampori Chieftain

I love it completely. Turned it on immediately and haven't looked back.
    Dusk is beautiful, and when the lights start turning on in the city, it's amazing. Especially once you get skyscrapers.
    Plus, nighttime barely lasts a few minutes, and it really isn't that hard to see what's going on.
    Definitely worth it.

8. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I really like it. It might be a little harder to make out tiles at first glance, but (as with anything) you get used to it. It's very atmospheric, and I like seeing all the city lights :)

9. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

It's a must feature henceforth.

10. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Chieftain

It's totally pointless, imo.

11. Acken

Acken Chieftain

It confuses me so I turned it off.

12. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia Chieftain

I shudder to think what the fog of war looks like with this useless feature... Hey, your game has half-broken AI, infinite gold/horsemen, no hotkeyz lulz, etc... But it sure looks amazing when you rotate the camera around the whole frickin' mess at midnight!
    :lol::crazyeye::goodjob:

13. darko82

darko82 Chieftain

This is absolutely NOT a useless feature. You can set the lighting etc., and basically the way the game looks and feels. It is a very good feature. I really like the dawn and early evening lighting. And fortunately I am not always forced to that bright colors/lighting at noon or whatever.

Zaarin likes this.
  14. redwings1340

redwings1340 Chieftain

Its a cool feature, but I found it difficult to see the map in the night, so I turned it off. It does look nice though, and I like it being shown in the wonder videos.

15. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I love it. It really makes the game feel more dynamic, and the little details--like paper lanterns in Chinese cities--are fantastic. I imagined it would be a feature I'd try out then turn off, but I've gotten really attached to it.

16. Socratatus

Socratatus Chieftain

The daylight sounds good. I like realistic immersion and it`s not useless if it adds realistic immersion. Day/night cycles is realistic.

Still pondering whether to buy the game though...

17. qadams

qadams Bohemian

I like the idea of the day/night cycle, but so far in practice it's been more annoying than attractive. It's sometimes hard to make things out at dusk or at night -- and of course the stupid FoW doesn't help much either. Have I mentioned yet how much I hate the FoW? I hate it.

18. Socratatus

Socratatus Chieftain

Civ 5 had a fog of war, what`s different about Civ 6?

19. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Chieftain

I like the option, and it's pretty... but it needs more customisation. Right now it's a bit confusing, I'd stick to one turn night one turn day or similar. Maybe during the AI turn it could fade into the other one?

20. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Dawn looks horrible and the wrong direction of the sun annoys me way too much.

The same time (position of the sun) on the whole globe doesn't bother me though, because the map doesn't resemble a globe at all, nor tries to, it's just atmospheric lighting. Shadows though (wrong direction), do bother me. That plus horrible dawn made me turn it off.