1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Day of Love for the Prophet" in Pakistan: 19 dead

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Winner, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Do these people even realize what a sick joke they are? :shake:

Also, who still believes Pakistan is an ally of the West, hands up! It seems the Pakistani government is actively trying to incite anti-Western hatred, even going so far as giving people free time to take part in "peaceful protests" (yeah right, because nobody could possibly predict violence would occur :crazyeye: ).

Pakistan is a basket case of a country that needs to be disarmed as soon as possible. Leave Afghanistan to its fate, go straight for Pakistan.

BBC:

2. Neomega

Neomega Chieftain

I love it when protesters are killed by the police in these clashes, and the news says "14 people were killed", as if it were the protesters doing the killing.

When the police use violence on protesters, the media says, "protests take an ugly, violent turn"

And your new enemy of the week is the one whose police killed Pakistanis to stop them from storming the American embassy.

3. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

So, they incite anti-Western riots, and then shoot some protesters - is that supposed to somehow improve my opinion of Pakistan? (Policemen were also killed, and you can watch the videos to get a glimpse of how "peaceful" the protests were).

As for your inane comment concerning the "enemy of the week", I've been warning against Pakistan for years on this forum.

4. Neomega

Neomega Chieftain

1 policeman was killed... ..supposedly after "gunfire broke out"
    Probably, you know, like "protest takes ugly, violent turn"

Yeah, but eventually, Pakistan will be the next big bad guy, the propaganda campaign against it was stepped up a notch after OBL was assassinated there. I know the Islamaphobes have been yelping about it for years.

5. Neomega

Neomega Chieftain

You freaking islamaphobic idiots made this monster with your stupid wars, and now you want everyone to be afraid of the monster you keep feeding with your drone strikes and bombings.

Your Frankenstein. I don't care about it. I hope it causes worldwide war and catastrophe.

Keep bombin' em.

6. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Um. My understanding of Pakistan is a little different. I heard that the declaration of a public holiday was an effort to minimize violence, (by some logic I forget, I shall have to dig it out from somewhere).

Pakistani politicians are in a similar (though no doubt worse) position to American ones. Would an American who publicly declared he (or she) was an atheist ever stand any chance of becoming President?

Are you seriously recommending an invasion of Pakistan? And how else would you disarm it? With a population of over 100 million? A nuclear armed Pakistan? I thought you had more common sense.

The only possibility is dialogue.

I, sir, do not.

7. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

I am recommending making preparations for a forced nuclear disarmament of Pakistan, yes.

That's not use when there's nobody to have a dialogue with. Pakistan is quickly sliding into a "failed state" state, and the responsible think to do here is to make sure that when certain red lines are crossed, its nuclear arsenal won't end up in the heads of various warlords or worse, Islamic insurgents.

8. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Good luck with fleshing that plan out, then.

There is no alternative to dialogue.

Here's my plan:
    Stop killing people altogether.
    Stop deliberately inciting people to get angry.
    Start listening to what people have to say.
    Start trying to understand what people say.

9. Neomega

Neomega Chieftain

Well we can both hope for what we want, but I guarantee you, I'll get what I'm hoping for, while you will always be hoping it will stop.

See the logic there?

Better to hope for what you will get than to hope for what will never be.

10. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

So you hope to die yourself then?

Your logic, sir, is absurd.

11. Neomega

Neomega Chieftain

If I am meant to be killed in some war, that's the way it is. Hoping it will not happen will not change it.

Hope & Change is soooo 2008.

12. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

But, you see, I live in hope. It is the bent of my nature to do so. The alternative is despair.

13. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

You could as well propose to move to fantasy land. This isn't a hippy seance, this is a real world with real people, get used to it. I am talking about real world situation in Pakistan, which is terribly dangerous and getting worse. You can dream about dialogue as much as you want, but if there is nobody on the other side to talk to, it's a losing proposition.

As for our freedom to mock whatever religious figure we choose, I shall never give up on it.

14. Neomega

Neomega Chieftain

Do the Muslims of the world have anybody to talk to?

15. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Maybe Israel should pay them a visit after they've finished off Iran?

Also, odd choice of emphasis you had there.
    But that would've interfered with blaming the government for the violence.

16. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Completely different situation, so this doesn't work even as a joke.

What's odd about it? These violent, rabid riots have been going on for some time, and the Pakistani government actually give people holiday so that more of them can attend. Don't tell me you buy that they didn't know this would happen.

The fact is the Pakistani gov. is hugely unpopular, corrupt and inept, so it's trying to direct people's anger at the hated Americans and the West in general (that for some reason always works like a charm in Islamic countries). That's playing with fire in the most literal sense.

Pakistan is not even pretending to be a willing ally of the West any more. It plays both sides, and it is increasingly hostile to the West. With that in mind, it's really high time to decide what to do about its nuclear arsenal should excrement hit the fan, unless you're comfortable with it falling into the hands of Taleban et al.

17. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

If you believe you can bomb your way to peace then just who is living in a fantasy world here?

Did the US bomb Vietnam to peace?
    Has the Iraq war lead to peace?
    Has the Afghan war lead to peace? And if the mission has failed in Afghanistan, what chance of success in Pakistan?

What on earth is it in for you to mock religious figures? I don't say you shouldn't have this right, but what use is it? Why is it so precious to you? Would you rather die than lose this right? Would you rather kill people? What a strange person you are!

If you never try to listen, then for sure no one will bother trying to talk to you.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

If a day of love can result in 19 dead, I wonder what a day of hate would be like in Pakistan.

"Day of hate for USA" in Pakistan: 58 convert to Christianity, 5 red white and blue murals created, statue of George Washington erected, fireworks display blows everyone away

19. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

From Ed Husain, senior fellow for Middle Eastern studies, US Council on Foreign Relations, and author of The Islamist.

20. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

when i read about these medieval events i'm happy i won the lottery of life and i was born into a decent country...