DDS unpacker for interface textures

We've added about 80 religion icons, several tech icons, unit icons, interface changes. Trust me it works. :p

However, mod DDS files don't get loaded on-top of core ones, so you can't replace icons like you can UI files, you can only make new ones. So to change an existing icon, you'll need to modify the XML of the appropriate UI or IconAtlas to point to a new DDS file. As such making new yield icons is impossible since they are part of the fonticons which is currently defined in non-moddable xml, so you can't redirect to a new one. I'm sure a patch will sort this out.

Though you could possibly add a new yield to the city screen etc by editing the XML / Lua to point to a new icon atlas, but you would never be able to reference that new yield in text (tooltips, top bar, etc) as other yields are since it's not part of the fonticons.

Also, what format of DDS are you saving out as? I use DXT5 and it works fine.

I used DTX3 format, but I didnt modify any xml or lua assuming that the new DDS will replace the old one. so you cant edit old icons and you can only add new ones?

Well you can edit old ones technically, by duplicating them to another file, with this tool, saving as DXT (5 is better if you have an alpha channel btw) and redirecting the atlas or UI to the new one, then making the changes to the new file. So if you wanted to edit all the techs you could do it like this, while technically new ones you would have for all intents and purposes edited them.

The fonticons are an exception to this rule though.

The one thing it seems impossible to add is IconFonts/FontIcons... devs appear to have admitted this and hope to fix it. I'm not sure if there might be a non-modular way around it using the above technique (modify a relevant atlas to point to a new file that's the same as the old one with new things added)...

Hi,
My first time trying to MOD in CIV 4, I downloaded the unpacker, opened and tried it without success. When browsing the input directory, it will only let me select the assets folder and no specific files in the folder itself. Can someone please help me out?
Thanks

I hope you mean Civ5. ;) Anyhow, this tool doesn't do single files. You have to give it a directory and it'll unpack everything it finds in that directory. So assuming you're already run the Nexus extract script, you just need to set the input directory to <Install Directory>\resource\DX9 and the output directory to wherever you prefer, and then it'll work its magic.

Yes, I had the same problem. Fonts have the two files (filename-index.dds and filename.dds) but throw an error using the unpacker. Has anyone succeeded in opening these?

For the life of me, I can't get this to work anymore. The first time I did it (about 9 months ago) it unpacked everything but kept many of the "icon" (buildings, tech, units) files scrambled (not the mini-icons).

Now, all I see is:
Start....
Complete!

And nothing happens.

I even thought it could have something to do with my soft- and hard-linking on my folder structures, so I copied everything to very simple folders:

E:\in
E:\out

With the files BuildingTextures.fpk and UITextures.fpk in the "in" folder.

I of course set the Input and Output directories appropriately.

Any ideas?

Hmmm...I copied the DX9 directory contents to my art-modding directory, set the input and output locations, and clicked Unpack without getting any result. What could I have done wrong?

This tool doesn't actually unpack the fpk's. You have to use the Nexus script or Dragon Unpacker first. That was certainly carloscodex's problem in the post above. Is it yours as well?

@Nutty: Very much my problem! Dragon Unpacker shows the .dds files as colorful-but-compressed blobs; and Nexus refuses to link to Civ5 on my slow, aging PC.

Hmmm, I'm wondering: has anybody every attempted to reverse-engineer the process, producing run-length encoded DDS files? I noticed that DXT5 compression sometimes absolutely mangles smaller icons and UI textures (compared to Firaxis' method) and uncompressed DDS files end up being huge...

Is there an alternative download location for this?

I am unable to download it from this link.

I can give you the source code and you'll be able to integrate this functionality into your project

Great tool, willing to hand out your source code, and works with BE also. Your the Man!!! :goodjob:

I had been wondering how to look at all the art, thanks for the nice tool.

isn't this just dragon unpacker?
No. This converts the indexed DDS files (mostly the user interface stuff; they each have an accompanying -index file) into PNG files, since the indexed files can't be opened using the traditional photo editor DDS plugins. The PNG's can then be converted to regular DDS's as needed for use in mods.

This would be performed only after the files had been extracted from the FPKs by Dragon UnPACKer or the Nexus script.

A year later, is there a good way of dealing with Civ V graphics yet?
It's unclear which graphics you're referring to [there are lots of various interface graphics, 3D models and textures], and what you mean by "dealing with."

Top Bottom