Dead/Liberated civ domestic tourists

Velvet glove

Chieftain
I wanted to check if a dead civ that is later liberated will be at exactly the same domestic tourists as it was when it was conquered. However got an unclear result. The civ had 3 tourists when it was killed but when liberated about 80 turns later it had 6 tourists. Does anyone know how this works?

Well certain techs/civics give more tourism for certain buildings/improvements later on in the game. Maybe that could explain it?

It's domestic tourists so it's culture rather than tourism. My guess is that some inspirations got triggered like feudalism for there being 6 farms or maybe they got bonus inspirations because it was a new age. So it should be more or less what they had with a bit extra.

3-6 sounds like it even could be an accidental doubling due to bad coding.
It is fairly irrelevant as you can still get tourists when they have 0 domestic so it mainly of validity for defensive reasons and there is no issue with 3-6 but 300-600 may be a worry, interesting.

3-6 sounds like it even could be an accidental doubling due to bad coding.
It is fairly irrelevant as you can still get tourists when they have 0 domestic so it mainly of validity for defensive reasons and there is no issue with 3-6 but 300-600 may be a worry, interesting.
Interesting thought so I did another test and this time was careful not to develop their town in any way.

Liberated them ~60 turns and an era later and they had exactly the same number of tourists and my lifetime tourism towards them was at exactly the same value too.

It doesn't mean there can't be bad coding too though. Another test I did for Rome's trading posts had a horrible result: I founded city A which was not in trading range with Rome, I later founded city B which was in range both with city A and with Rome. I was able to send a trade route from Rome to city A but not from city A to Rome! But give it a few turns during which no nearby cities were founded or conquered and I was able to send trade routes both ways. The game is great in so many ways but this is just :mad:

The game is great in so many ways but this is just
I am seeing more and more that EOT is just failing in updates or not doing them which I suspect is the cause. For example the climate change screen stats often miss one or two turns of update.

I am seeing more and more that EOT is just failing in updates or not doing them which I suspect is the cause. For example the climate change screen stats often miss one or two turns of update.
:( Also the UI in the tech/civic screen doesn't update until you click on something else, and some of the city UIs don't update when you change production.

A bit more test results on the trading posts if anyone comes across this problem: The EOTs turned out not to help, there were only the two things that triggered a refresh of the trade pathfinding. One was a world era change, and the other was a new town in the vicinity but it depended on the location of the town, not all new towns helped (seems that it needs to find a route to Rome for the new town and that the new town is in range to city A. but the new city may not end up on the route if the route that was present before was more direct). What didn't refresh the paths was: newly completed techs/civics, a new CH, marketplace and new trader, or waiting for any number of turns that didn't include an era change. Also, what seems to trigger the problem in the first place is when city A is at a sharp angle compared to city B and Rome. For example city B is 14 tiles away from Rome and city A is 16 tiles from Rome and 8 tiles from city A so it's close to an isosceles triangle. If city B is between Rome and city A (the three cities are on the same line) then it doesn't seem to happen. It's probably due to a poor pathfinding algorithm that marks tiles as explored prior to finding a town that extends the range, and then not revisiting those tiles again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom