Dealing with ants?

Kan' Sharuminar said:
I stumbled upon this old thread last night, it may be of some use.

Ant Destruction

Kan that's the first thing I thought of, too!

I would follow the ant trail out of the house, and back to their nest. When you get to the nest, spray the ant trail from there all the way back to your house, they'll lose the trail and not bother you anymore.

Did you try getting a pet ant eater?

Otherwisw there are gels that are fumeless and safe, unless your an ant. Never really had an ant promblem inside, got zillions of them outside, in which you and use various products that are child and pet safe. most insect killers will have borax in it as far as home brews go.

Ants!?

SWEET JESUS KILL THEM WITH FIRE!

Why do you all want to use sprays and poisons? :confused:

Follow the ant trail, (leave out some food if necessary to coax them out), find their hidy hole and pour a kettle full of boiling water over it.

If necessary rinse and repeat. :D

Try fillinng there little nest dealie with vinegar or if your feeling adventerous petrol.

For fast first aid before getting hold of the full arsenal of chemical agents, try a generous sprinkling of black pepper accross their trail. They don't like crossing that.

Ants are a big pain where I live, considering I live in the swampland that is South Florida. I usually use Raid to kill it. The spray works pretty well, otherwise, I do like the kid in The Ant Bully and grab the hose and spray the little freak's anthill. :devil:

Hopefully, you dont have fire ants. Those really hurt... :scan:

Low Tier Hero said:
*Obligatory KILL IT WITH FIRE* comment.

Not once, but twice :blush: I almost burned down my neighbors house (and ours) by trying to burn the little buggers when I was a youth. One of the
times the blaze started with firecrackers :mischief: .

Just do nothing and tell people instead that you have one of those new age, organic, free-range ant farms.

I found the boiling water to be utterly useless. In fact, I once had two hills - I poured 2 gallons of boiling water on one and 1/4 litre of gasoline on the other (then covered the anthill to trap the fumes). The gasoline worked better.

I've also found those plastic ant traps to be useless. The liquid bait/poison seems to work with many types. Track their hills down and place a few drops where they walk. It seemed to work with a few nests.

Other nests didn't go away, and I had to stir them up and spray them with Raid. This only suppresses a nest, though.

El_Machinae said:
I Track their hills down and place a few drops where they walk. It seemed to work with a few nests.

One of the problems I found with the drops was that it killed them way to fast. The concept of course is that they take the poison back to their nests to kill the rest of them (as well as the queen).. But with the drops, they died quickly, all over my floor and thus never made it back to the nest (which also made a mess)

Mathilda said:
For fast first aid before getting hold of the full arsenal of chemical agents, try a generous sprinkling of black pepper accross their trail. They don't like crossing that.

Boy, I guess they wouldn't. Have you ever seen an ant sneeze?

Leatherneck said:
Did you try getting a pet ant eater?

I had hoped that my free-range mice would eat them... but no luck.

The drops didn't kill them right away for me. They would surround it like a feeding trough, but then later they'd be gone.

Anyway, even if it kills them, at least they come for it. If you place it near their nests, you should be able to get hoardes of them out.

It worked much better than the spray or boiling water - for me.

My dad once dowsed an ant hill in our yard in petrol and lit it, it kinda worked.
Consequently he thought this was a good remedy for killing most pests so he went on to light a wasps nest on fire to get rid of them, long story short had him running around with little balls of fire shooting after him.

And he wonders why we wouldn't open the door to let him inside.........:mischief:

Boric Acid works great. It will kill the ants, has no odor and from what I have seen you would have to eat a pound of the stuff to get sick.

Ao-Li said:
My dad once dowsed an ant hill in our yard in petrol and lit it, it kinda worked.
Consequently he thought this was a good remedy for killing most pests so he went on to light a wasps nest on fire to get rid of them, long story short had him running around with little balls of fire shooting after him.

And he wonders why we wouldn't open the door to let him inside.........:mischief:
:lol:
Wasps nests are a huge pain in the bottom. I have the pleasure of dealing with them almost every summer.

Top Bottom