Dealing with AP shenanigans?

Rhavanna

Chieftain
Hey folks,

Hoping someone can help me out with some of the mechanics of the Apostolic Palace. I've just recently moved up to Monarch, and the AP has never really been something I've played around with. I just pretty much lost a game to what I consider to be fairly cheesy use of the AP by the AI.

Game started, religions are founded, etc. I don't adopt any religion yet, and instead explore my area and get to know my neighbors. I start super close to the Inca, and opt for an axe rush. Yara is way south of me, and we're separated by a huge desert. No use expanding towards him. Inca have founded Judaism, Yara founds and converts to Confucianism, and Charlie is Buddhist. My axe rush crushes the Inca, and I capture the Jewish holy city and convert, quickly spreading it around my lands. I leave the Inca with once little island city because for some reason they built 4 archers on it and I can't be bothered to build enough galleys to carry an army over there and finish him off.

Yara spreads his Confucianism to a few of my cities. No biggie. Yara then builds the AP... and here is where the shenanigans start.

The first AP vote comes up. I have a whopping 17 votes, Inca has 15, and Yara has like 180. He obviously wins the AP leadership, and his first nominated vote is "give the old Incan cities back to Inca." I still have 17 votes in the AP, and he has 180. Yet I'm not a Confucian state. Judaism is our state religion, and Confucianism is present in only 3 of my cities. Why should my empire care about the feelings of a tiny religions minority? I'm forced to declare "defy", and sure enough it passes. I would be forced to hand cities back over to my enemy, (which I set myself back quite a good bit capturing), or suffer the "the world considers you a villain" penalty. Wtf!

The *heathen* world considers me a villain! A small minority of jerks in my capital happen to agree with them! Grrrrr! It's only 400AD! -5 Happiness in 3 of my cities is crippling!

Is there anything I could have done to fix/prevent this? Switch to theocracy perhaps? Why would my empire be subject to AP votes when it's not our state religion, and a very small minority religion at that? Very frustrating!

Any advice or explanations of how these mechanics work would be much appreciated. Thanks!

A fullish guide: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/apostolicpalace.php

The "assign X's city to Y" vote can only take place when Y is running the AP religion, but X is not (and X has at least one city that has been converted to the AP religion). Theocracy won't affect this. It would simply stop the AP religion from being spread to further cities.

For your game, the easiest way to circumvent the vote would be to switch into Confucianism. In fact, it's generally best to run whichever religion happens to be the most popular among your immediate neighbors, even if you own a shrine (you can still spread your shrine's religion, after all).

The 5 :mad: will fade with time, and this time is reduced for every other religion that is present in that city.

Ahhhh, I see! That settles my question, but still seems like a silly game mechanic in my opinion.

Much thanks!

No choice but to defy and be considered as a villain rather than going to war to gain nothing. It's quite a sacrifice to spend turns with your cities filled with angry citizens crippling down to ashes (in addition to those captured cities who were yearning to join their moderland).

So... the AP victory can occur only when all civs are members, 75% of the vote is in favor and the resolution cannot be defied. Does anyone know what the threshold for a voting member is to vote for a winner? Friendly? Friendlier with one than the other civ in the poll?

The first condition isn't met in my current game but it's getting close, the two who don't have the reliigon have 3 or more cities without any. I'm already infected and will be spamming the religion to my other cities but I am not winning any popularity contests with 2 early and one early medieval DOWs against me. AP victory could be in sight for the owner (Pericles).

Is there anything I could have done to fix/prevent this? Switch to theocracy perhaps? Why would my empire be subject to AP votes when it's not our state religion, and a very small minority religion at that? Very frustrating!

Stab Yara and set fire to the thing if at all possible. Failing that, spread Confucianism to all your cities and convert, thus netting a lot more votes.

I do agree the villain penalty could take more account of the religions actually present in a city.

Stab Yara and set fire to the thing if at all possible. Failing that, spread Confucianism to all your cities and convert, thus netting a lot more votes.

I do agree the villain penalty could take more account of the religions actually present in a city.

Who's Yara, Damerell?

Hmm, maybe Yara(or whoever he is) is pleased with Huayna although they don't share the same religion. Next time it happens again, convert to AP's religion. Thus, gaining reputation to the AP leader. You can even bribe him to declare war on the Incans.

And additional hammers as well.;)

cute^^

jarhead_leif:

OP can mean either Opening Poster or Opening Post, depending on the use in the sentence. "Thread Starter" is not a term commonly used in these forums.

"Yara" is someone's merger of Zara Yacov's (or is it Yakov) two names.

Top Bottom