1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with homesickness after a move.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Jan 2, 2012.

1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

This is kind of silly. But anyways, for most of the first 8 years, I lived in one place (there were a few different places in my first year but I don't remember that). And then I lived in my last place 11 years. (I mention this because some people who move more often may not understand.) Now, I just moved to a new place .... 15 minutes away. Not even moving towns. In the same town, literally 15 minutes drive away. More in-town, not on a hill anymore.

The new place is better and I'm glad about moving. But still, I feel homesick for the old apartment. I'm not sure why. It's not particularly logical.

My mom claims I was homesick when we moved to the old place, but I'm not sure that really says anything considering I was 8 at the time. (I actually only have vague memories of the first place.)

Does anyone have any practical suggestions for dealing with this?

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Intense exercise.

3. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

Give it time. People are loss averse (we miss what we had more than we appreciate what we've gained). I find it helps to invest some time in decorating the new place, so you feel some attachment to it.

4. aimeeandbeatles

Not possible.

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Are you a quadriplegic?

6. aimeeandbeatles

No but I fell over a railing and onto the stairs trying to put something on a wall. Needless to say, I'm not eager to do "intense exercise." (I'm actually surprised I didn't break any bones.)

7. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

If you're not actually hurt, then the exercise will do you good. Just don't overdo it.

8. aimeeandbeatles

Well, except for the fact that I can barely walk....

9. dIZZyBlIZZy

dIZZyBlIZZy Batteries not included

If you're in an area with accessibility, try just picking a nearby place (short drive or walking distance), and mingle with some strangers. Get a feel for your new neighborhood.

10. say1988

say1988 Deity

I know I usually get pissed off when people tell me this, but in these kinds of situations I do believe it is the best thing.

Just suck it up. Go about your normal life and, most importantly, get into a routine. People don't like change, so make your new situation normal and going back to teh old one would be a change.

If you are really having a problem, find a hobby to distract you. That is essentially the point ot Zelig's suggestion, but if exercise doesn't fit you then you just need to find something that does. The point is taking your mind off things will assist in establishing a routine and getting used to your new place.
    Exercise is a good idea (you don't need ot take up running or anything, do something with your upper body), because this could become part of a routine and benefit you well into the future. But you could find something else, whether it provides a tangible benefit or not.

11. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Intense exercise does not necessarily require you to walk.

12. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

I find the best way to deal with homesickness is to focus your energy on activities in the present. As long as you are keeping yourself occupied with good things, you can always look forward to the future instead of dwelling on where you have been and what you miss doing.

13. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

Everybody goes through homesickness. When I was in California, I lived in a small, cramped house with a lackluster kitchen. Yet I still miss it sometimes. That's nostalgia.

14. madviking

madviking north american scum

Acquaint yourself with the area; find what's awesome.

I remember when I used to be into nostalgia...those were the days.

15. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

Staying in one place for more than a season isn't natural as is moving within a season. People are hunter gatherers at heart, and we don't move out of season. Did you move in the middle of summer or winter?

Btw I just now invented this and am wondering if it will turn into a rural myth.

Hope that brought a smile, good luck.

16. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

I know it's not nice but I had to chuckle a little when I read this :blush: :p

about your homesickness.. that's just because you don't see your new place as your home yet. start seeing at such ;p
    invite some friends (have you had a housewarming yet? ;)), do fun stuff in and around the house, rebuild the house the way you want it to be.. in short make fun memories and make the house your dreamhouse and soon you'll see it as home :)

17. aimeeandbeatles

Going out and meeting people won't work too great for me, as I'm pretty much a loner. (Anyways people get frustrated with me because a lot of times they can't understand a word I say.)

I'm actually surprised I didnt break any bones. I'm mostly fine today (with some painkillers) (which is why I was able to use the hacksaw to open my package) but it's mostly my legs (not to mention I fell right on my bad knee!)

Im actually not so homesick today. It was just a bit of melancholia I had last night.

18. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

What are you saying to them? (serious question :))

I was wondering... what were trying to putt on a wall that made you, I assume, lean that far over a railing you fell over it?

good, to hear... Homesickness is unnecessary ;), especially when you are home :p

19. aimeeandbeatles

I have speech impediments. On bad days nobody can understand a word I say.

I was hanging up a picture on a wall above the stairs.

20. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

that sucks...
    anything you would be able to do about that?

must have been one hell of a picture to 'risk' your life for ;p