1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with that newly-emerged runaway?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Rhavanna, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Rhavanna

Rhavanna Chieftain

Hey folks,

So I'm nearing the end of a fun game as Carthage. Large size, epic speed, Emperor difficulty, Terra Incognita map.

Game started off nicely. I started on a weird snaky peninsula and was able to cut off access to a large chunk of land, letting me expand very easily. The "old world" was split into two chunks, with myself, Greece, and Askia on one chunk, and everyone else on the other larger one. A nice long mountain range, (perfect for me as Carthage) separated me and Greece and had 3 little openings in it. Well, 3 citadels later and I'm pretty much unassailable by land.

Things were going well. Greece gobbled up Askia, and we'd been at war for ages but he couldn't really do anything so I just sat and developed my roughly 10 cities in peace. My religion is the largest one on the planet, and providing me over 100 gold per turn. I was top tech for a while, and pretty soon I turned on the offensive and now I'm in the process of eating up Greek cities.

The balance of power on the larger continent seemed to be pretty even. A few civs got eaten, but Spain, Russia, Persia, and the Maya all seemed pretty even. Since I was the lead in tech, but not the largest army, I figured I'd try to go for a science victory.

And then everything changed when the fire nation attacked. Or, Persia flipped their and went totally ham on the world. Starting in the late Renaissance era, Persia declared war and annihilated all their neighbors. Over the course of less than 300 years they wiped Spain and the Maya off the map, and Russia doesn't stand a chance, and is already losing cities. Persia now controls more land than the rest of the world combined, and just finished the Manhattan Project in 1840. I was at one point the highest science score, and thought I'd been keeping on top of it, but I'm now a full 6 techs behind Persia.

I have noooo idea if I can come back from this. My navy is downright sick, with 5 ludicrously promoted battleships and a few support vessels, but Darius is soooo far ahead at this point that I don't know if challenging him militarily is even an option. I'm worried I'm too far behind in tech to stop as well!

Is there anything I can do? Darius is downright ballin' out of control. I don't think he can be stopped! What are the odds I can somehow pull a science victory out from under his nose?

2. Maxym

Maxym King

I would say good, post a save and few screenshots and we can have a look. Did you save your scientists? AI does not prioritize Hubble so you have a chance.

3. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Is Darius capital on the coast?
    If so it sounds like you have enough battleships to take his capital the first turn of a war; especally if those "support vessels" are Destroyers that started as Privateers.
    (Pre position everything)

4. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

How do you think Persia going to win? Space? If so, focus on that capital. If not, then you'll be in good shape.

5. Zango

Zango Chieftain

From what you described, it doesn't sound like you'll be able to outtech him. Instead, I'd advise trying to pull a Diplomatic victory out from under his nose. It requires less techs than Science, and if he's focusing on his military right now, you should be able to get the UN up.

As long as you have some money already stockpiled, and your GPT is still rolling in, see how many CS's you'd need to buy off for Diplo and try to get them all bought off before the vote; preferably as close to the vote as possible to avoid any buy-backs, coups, or other shenanigans.

6. Rhavanna

Rhavanna Chieftain

Thanks for the tips. I will try to post a save tomorrow evening when I'm back at my desktop. Off the top of my head I don't think his capital is on the coast, but he does have a good deal of coastal cities, (not saying much considering he has like 40 by now, lol) that I'm sure I could raze pretty easily.

I did not save scientists sadly. I have never won a science victory on Emperor before, and I admit I'm not the greatest at it. I only generated I think like 4 or 5 over the course of the game. I probably really need to work on citizen management to generate more. I had been so embroiled in a many-millennium war with Greece that I was always trying to get the next military tech to help me ward him off.

I know that Greece at one point made a decent number of wonders. I've pretty much beaten him, but he sued for peace and I took the deal eventually so that I could focus on keeping up with Persia. I'm thinking it might be worth finishing him up and taking his capital to get all those wonders.

The diplo victory sounds like my best bet. I was hoping to do otherwise though, lol. I only recently moved up to Emperor and all my victories so far have been diplomatic or domination. Was hoping to try something else! I'm bringing in like 1200 science per turn and 400 gold per turn, so saving up to buy all those city states shouldn't be a problem at all. I just hope he doesn't beat me to it! He must have like 2k science by now just through sheer size of empire.

7. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

If Persia is indeed going for science by process of elimination, then you might actually get lucky. I've seen the AI in a similar situation suddenly change course to another victory. I also seen the AI get Apollo but takes its time to build/assemble parts. Usually I wait until the third part to know if they are serious and take immediate action, if I can - like going all in for their capital or to disrupt them by getting everyone to declare war on them. But then again, I've had an Immortal game recently where Russia built all of the parts in 8 turns.

8. Oneira

Oneira Chieftain

I'm dealing with a similar problem. Playing Theodora and using the 4-city Tradition opening, I did well to start with.

Sharing a continent with Suleiman, the Ethiopians and the Mayans. I got my 4 cities down by about turn 45ish and held off an attack by Suleiman. Pretty soon I was moving past the Ottomans and the Ethiopians pretty well, but around the beginning of the Medieval era the Mayans literally took off. He has 4 cities, an incredibly powerful religion that's converting everybody, and he's building wonders about every 4-5 turns. It's unbelievable.

So I figured I had to take him out or he'll win hands down. The problem is that there are several CSs in the way between me and him that i'll anger if I move my army through them, he is allied with several, and maneuvering my army to get into position is a huge problem, plus Suleiman doesn't want to help me.

I'd say his army is only slightly weaker than mine from what I've seen. My opinion? It's a done deal. Pacal has won this one going away, even though we just started the Renaissance. I don't see any way I can catch him, or defeat him. /sigh

Any thoughts? Sorry no map to post. Pacal has 4 cities, he must have built I'd say 8-10 wonders already. It's incredible.

I have a slight lead in science. 1 tech I believe but i can't get a RA with Suleiman or Selassie, they don't have the dough. So I think Pacal will soon eclipse me there too.

PS: King level G&K

9. Aldor

Aldor King

Had to laugh at this ;)

On the game: I usually play prince level, so I never really had to face a nuclear threat (usually game ends before AI gets Manhattan). If it wasn't for that, I'd attempt a small scale attack to get a beachhead, this can really distract the AI. Depends on how much airpower Darius has of course, because it will be his fastest way to respond.

10. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Rhavanna, 6 techs aren't much and your bpt is high enough. Also, since you have not generated many scientists so far, you can generate them now pretty quickly. So I'd say your chances are very good. :)

How many turns since Apollo completion?

Welcome to CFC! :)

I'd say your chances are even better than Rhavanna's. Actually, I'd say they're excellent. :) AI is very bad at combat and you can easily outperform it in battlefield with significantly smaller army. Since you have bigger army and tech parity, taking Pacal down shouldn't be hard at all.

11. Rhavanna

Rhavanna Chieftain

Hey again folks,

I don't think challenging Darius by combat is an option, but since we are on separate continents and I have a very strong navy, I don't think he can come kill me. I am concerned about getting nuked though, lol.

I will go for a diplo victory I think. I had another game a few weeks back, (similarly rolled Carthage) and it played out very similar to this. I went with a wide sprawling empire and went for a science victory, but France snowballed out of control and ended up being me in science. They launched their ship when I had just finished my first pieces. This game has played out similarly except that I wasn't able to kill Greece as quickly as I'd have liked to.

I think emperor is a good level for now as I seem to be able to win maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the time.

Diplo seems like my best bet. Rush for the UN, abuse the AI's inability to handle naval battles to keep myself alive, buy up all the citystates before the vote and hope he doesn't kill them all or launch a spaceship by then.

12. Rhavanna

Rhavanna Chieftain

Welp.

Not sure what would have happened, lol. I resumed the game tonight and darius finished his first spaceship part about 12 turns later in 1870. I panicked, put my entire civ into full science mode, rushed globalization, and then put everything into gold mode while the capital built the UN.

I was bringing in 900 gold per turn and I had about 20k stockpiled. UN was 4 turns from completion. Darius had 2 more spaceship parts left to go before he could launch.

And then civ crashed. Uggghhhh. Still though I am pretty confident that I would have pulled it off. I had easily enough gold to buy off every CS on the map. No 100% sure though, as I have no idea how close his last 2 spaceship parts were from finishing. Blah.

13. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I just checked and there was a huge gap: Apollo in 1690 and the first part 1842, however that works out in standard turns.

14. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Not that big of a gap, actually.

1690 = t248.
    1842 = t286.

It's pretty typical of immortal. At least it didn't take too long to seal the deal.

15. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Yeah, unfortunately. I was counting on Russia to take its time building the parts so I could get the last few policies done.