1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with the Turks as Greek

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Woody5000, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Woody5000

Woody5000 Chieftain

Hi,
    I'm woody and new to these forums.
    I'm playing as the Greeks on Emperor, and want to make it to the modern era. (I've already done the historyical challenges). But the Turks make this very difficult :(
    As the Greeks I usually use my early paralanx to conquer the capitals of egypth and babylon (sometimes I start with Babylon to ensure it's capital is one to the north-east of actual Babylon) and I found Chrakium 2 tiles to the east of Byzantium (much much much better production there).
    This tatic pays of for me really well as it gives me everything I need to fight of the Romans, Persians, Arabians and Barbarians and it gives me some high population cities which is great for making the most of that 150% great person birth rate.
    However when the Turks arive an the 12th century I'm ed. For they'll demand Chrakium. If I give it to them my empire falls apart, but fighting newly found civilizations is really hard as they convert your troops. Anyway to deal with this efficiently?

2. Wondering Kid

Wondering Kid Prince

Sadly, founding Byzantium would've made things easier for you; for it rocks at providing a good defensive spot. However, only way I see it would be to keep on pumping out troops, and hiring mercenaries. New civs will take troops at a rate way beyond your capacity to replace them. So try to hold on and every single turn offer them a peace treaty. Best I can come up with, sorry.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Welcome here :)

If you cannot beat a spawning civ, it's better to agree to the flip, then wait for ten turns and declare war to retake your territory.

4. Tomorrow's Dawn

Tomorrow's Dawn Heroes Never Die

1. Make sure there are no other cities in the Turks' flip zone.
    Make sure you have a navy with CR troops standing by in the Black Sea.
    2. Refuse the flip and wait for the Turks to move their stack out of the capital.
    3. Amphibiously invade and raze the city.
    4. Delete all troops and ships from the flip zone.
    5. Wait it out 10 turns.
    6. Profit.

5. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

I don't think he wants to raze the city though.

What would happen if he'd just take it and delete his troops?

6. Barbuesque

Barbuesque Prince

Since turkey does not have a starting settler, you cannot always kill it on spawn by capturing a flipped (not your own) city.

You can however kill them all on the first turn if they spawn at war with you, move your troops out of the flip one on the 2nd, refuse the flip on the 3rd. More units will spawn then, but not many. Kill them all, then delete the troops left in the defection zone and keep it empty for 10 turns.

If you do not start at war with them, they will be expelled from the area by your culture before the flip. When the flip happens, refuse it. You can probably kill them if they flipped a city that wasn't your own (unlikely in the 3000 bc scenario if you're Greece), but you can also stay out of the defection zone, but with masses of mounted units still in range to counter-attack if they move close to your anatolia city, or if they move south and out of the defection zone.

Either way you need at least 20 units of good quality to handle the turkish spawn as Greece.

7. Dalgaard

Dalgaard Chieftain

Hey, most people do not know about this exploit, but make sure your autosave land on the same turn as the flip, reload that specific autosave, and the flip wont happen :)

8. Locutus_Morti

Locutus_Morti Prince

That IS an exploit and probably not what he's looking for.

9. Woody5000

Woody5000 Chieftain

Thanks everbody got some pretty good advice. But how do I find out where the flip-zones end?

10. Locutus_Morti

Locutus_Morti Prince

Take a look at the stability bitmaps thread or mouse over the tiles to find out where "Foreign Core Area" or "Contested Area" ends. Considering you're Greece, move or delete everything in Jerusalem, Ankara, and Byzantion, possibly Eastern Egypt and Mesopotamia.

11. Woody5000

Woody5000 Chieftain

Hi guys, I solved the problem. The solution is simple. Settle your capital two tiles east of Byzantium (at the coal spot) instead of in Athens. I'd heavily recommend this to anyone playing the Greeks, it may take you up to three turns of not having cities to do so. But the advantages are massive.
    The Turks will now spawn North of the Black Sea, and won't claim any of your cities. Your Capital is now much more central of your empire reducing maintenance
    Your Capital has 4 food recources, a great deal of sea tiles and a great deal of hills. If you build the Mozai tiles you'll have massive hammer production. Right now I'm Building war elephants in less than one turn Arabia, Rome and Persia just don't stand a chance.

12. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Then, why not just move your capital there before Turk spawns?

13. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Well, there's a small stability hit for moving your capital.

14. theHIStorymaker

theHIStorymaker Chieftain

I think losing your starting two workers hurts way more than a small stability hit later on in the game.

15. Barbuesque

Barbuesque Prince

Are you sure this is what kicked the turks out of Anatolia? Maybe they just spawned at peace.