1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Firaxis, do you hate eyes?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by rkade8583, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Thanks for registering and welcome to the forums...

2. rkade8583

rkade8583 Realism Invictus Player

HEY! I was raising these issues as early as June or July. They had time to fix this crap and they chose not to! It was deemed "not important." Also, check my signature's first link. My wife had an excellent idea related to this.

3. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

A way to increase the font size has been found, see this thread.

4. rkade8583

Holy crap! Now if only I knew how to edit XML files. Adding it to the first post. Good find, Darkskies.

5. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I'm not sure what you mean by "skyline." Are you talking about the upper portion of the screen that's blurry?

6. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

Right click on the file and chose edit, the first time you will be asked to chose a program to edit with, I just use notepad, you don't need anything fancy. Search for or scroll down to the section you need to change and edit it. Save the file after editing load up BE and enjoy. Oh and make a backup of the file first just to be safe since you're new to editing them ;).

7. rkade8583

Thanks again, Darkskies. I changed everything to 24 and now I can see the fonts.

Arioch, I'm talking about that orange-ish background.... thing in the upper third of the screen which turns out to only be really bad on desert worlds. On fungal and lush worlds, it's not so bad. Time to edit the first post again.

8. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

I just upped my to 24 too. There are some text overflow issues which I added to the other thread.

I haven't tried a desert world yet, but on my lush world I can't see anything like that, I have all graphics maxed and I keep forgetting to turn off the blur.

9. rkade8583

Yeah 22 is the max for me which is a little bit of a bummer but it's close enough to optimal for me that I can suck it up. I added the skyline caveat to the first post. Now my rage looks stupid because of bad luck (always got desert on randomized,) or because of fixes (the other two) but the fact that we have to go into files to fix these problems is still infuriating on its' own.

10. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

I was just looking at the picture, was wondering if it's supposed to be a dust storm. Just played Rigil for a few minutes lots of desert but no orange blur, freaking lot of wolf beetles though.

11. isau

isau Deity

Miasma needs a much more visible indicator.

We also need to get the icons for buildings, wonders, units, and so on to be differently colored from each other. The icons on the Research tree are a nightmare.

On some maps it also close to impossible to tell Tundra, Plains, and Desert apart. But while we are on that subject, why are the terrain types on this new planet exactly the same as Earth? Why is oxygen and water so abundant? Just seems like there were so many shortcuts and missed opportunities in this game.

12. Obbutemp

Obbutemp Chieftain

The icon borders are the key to understanding types of item visually in the research tree.

13. rkade8583

Because that's easy and intuitive to the average person... let alone people with eye problems. I've heard fully sighted people yelling about that one.

14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

As long as people keep pre-ordering, post high reviews for half baked games and don't hold their feet to the fire, game companies will keep doing the same thing. :sad:

BTW, I am sorry for your eye sight challenges. I'm glad some forum members have helped you out to make the game more playable for you and for other people with similar challenges, though. It's a good community here.

For the record, I have trouble seeing the miasma as well and my eyesight is fairly good.

15. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

Well finally got the orange haze. Now looking at the way it behaves, I'm wondering if it's supposed to represent sun glare on a planet where the sun sets in the "north." If I figure out a way to get rid of it I will post back, there seem to be some odd choices in this game like depth of field and blur being turned on by default which really make the graphics look worse.

16. rkade8583

They're hiding their sins beneath blur, glare, and excuses. *grabs pitchfork* :p