Dear God, Anything But This

BasketCase

Username sez it all
Okay, this is just too much:

NOOOOOO!!!

I play computer games to get AWAY from the real world, people, I don't wanna be hearing about Cingular wireless while I'm ramming some poor soul's tricked-out Honda into the guard rails!!! :crazyeye:

(Quick, somebody start writing a hack to disable the ad updates!)

The terrible game Enter the Matrix was full of advertising. And who really cares? Product placement has been in TV and movies for years.

If done right, it could add authenticity to the virtual world.

Yeah ads in a racing game or other games that take place in contemporary setting are fine. But when elves start buying Johnson & Johnson medicine kits then you should start worrying

i see a problem with modding games here. there will be mods who retexture the ads maybe, and so modding might be made harder and/or forbidden.

stormbind said:
If done right, it could add authenticity to the virtual world.

Well part of the Hilarity of Grand Theft Auto and similar games is that they make fun of real life ads.

I think that for games like Need for Speed, advertising is just fine. I don't like the idea of building a wonder named "McDonalds Fast Food Chain" in civ.

Tomoyo said:
I think that for games like Need for Speed, advertising is just fine. I don't like the idea of building a wonder named "McDonalds Fast Food Chain" in civ.
Cultural Advisor: Sire, we have completed the "Golden Arches" wonder.

Domestic Advisor: I'm Lovin' it!

That's fine by me, besides, I'm not going to make my decision about what to buy based on a billboard in some racing game.

depending on the game advertising can or can not be acceptable. In any sort of racing games or other games set in the modern day it is acceptable and adds to the realism. It would be completely stupid to put an ad into Everquest or something else of the fantasy/sci-fi genre.

If you think in-game ads are bad, wait until the corporate ******s start placing "subliminal messages" in the games. Type in "subliminal messages" in a search engine somewhere, and you should get loads of articles.

Don't we already have tons of political subliminal messages in civ?

Reeboks are cool. You want to be cool. Wear Reebok.

Fetus4188 said:
depending on the game advertising can or can not be acceptable. In any sort of racing games or other games set in the modern day it is acceptable and adds to the realism. It would be completely stupid to put an ad into Everquest or something else of the fantasy/sci-fi genre.
Have it your way at McDonalds.

That would actually be pretty funny--running from Freeport to Highhold and passing a Burger King in West Commonlands.... :lol:

Wireless is easy with Cingular.

If I recall, California Games had prominent real life companies advertised within it (choose your sponsers).

Must get Reeboks. Need to be cool.

I don't like iot but don't care that much
there are ads all over games. if you work for some large industry like that you would probably want that ...

1 time I saw an ad for Camel ciggarettes in some old hockey game ( I think)

Doesn't bother me in the least... Except that we, the consumer, won't get a price break on the games with advertising... and THAT bothers me...

Top Bottom